Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NO! broke the G1, G2 pins on the DSATX!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NO! broke the G1, G2 pins on the DSATX!

    I was cleaning up my install today and of course something had to go wrong. i broke the G1 and G2 pins out of the dsatx. This means i cant send the automatic on/off anymore. Anyone know if those pins can be replaced without sending the unit back?
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

  • #2
    They're broken clean off? No chance of using any little piece of 'em?

    If they're all the way out, I'm no electrical engineer by any means, but could you use a pin from something else and drop a little tiny piece of solder down in and place the replacement pin in?
    FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

    My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
    My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

    Comment


    • #3
      Sonic: Am I gonna have to solder something else for you?


      It looks like those pins are on a standard 0.1" header. I have a crapton of them laying around, get me some close-up pics of that area of the board (including the entire header connector) and I'll hook you up at the next DC meet.
      "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
      RevFE
      My Shop

      Comment


      • #4
        Also, I think you have a FB right? There are pins on the FB, and all the sensors you could probably cannabilize if you needed to. Also any leftover headers from PC components (like a USB header cable from a case or mobo) can work too. Or just get some wire and a $10 soldering iron from radioshack.

        Good Luck!
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jpinkerton View Post
          Could you use a pin from something else and drop a little tiny piece of solder down in and place the replacement pin in?
          That's what I did on my first DSATX. It later went kaput for unknown reasons, but this worked for months.
          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

          07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jpinkerton View Post
            They're broken clean off? No chance of using any little piece of 'em?

            If they're all the way out, I'm no electrical engineer by any means, but could you use a pin from something else and drop a little tiny piece of solder down in and place the replacement pin in?
            The pins broke clean off, and i still have the pins. I took a look at the "pad" where the pin was and there's no way i have the soldering skins to put those back in. I'll have to talk to my soldering associate for that.

            Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
            Sonic: Am I gonna have to solder something else for you?


            It looks like those pins are on a standard 0.1" header. I have a crapton of them laying around, get me some close-up pics of that area of the board (including the entire header connector) and I'll hook you up at the next DC meet.
            Speaking of my soldering associate! lol I'll get some pics of it later today and yes you probably will be soldering at the next meet.

            Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
            Also, I think you have a FB right? There are pins on the FB, and all the sensors you could probably cannabilize if you needed to. Also any leftover headers from PC components (like a USB header cable from a case or mobo) can work too. Or just get some wire and a $10 soldering iron from radioshack.

            Good Luck!
            Good idea, i have plenty of spare computer crap layin around the house. I'll bring spares again mike lol.
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

            Comment


            • #7
              Get pictures of the back of the board too! I need to know if they're through-hole or surface mount headers.
              "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
              RevFE
              My Shop

              Comment


              • #8
                This is the best i can do with a pic today i left my big camera at home:



                Its the first set of pins on the bottom. Its hard to tell in that photo but i can definitely see some left over solder and what appears to be a pad. None of the pin is left in. I couldnt get a picture of the bottom because the dsatx is still installed in the car, but i do not see the pins going all the way throw the circuit board. If i remember tonight i'll take a macro pic.
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ooh nasty. Easy way is to pull pins from a new header out of the pastic. Hold the new pin with long nose pliers against the broken pin while heating the solder on the other side, and push it through until it's the same length as the others. The old pin will drop off. Add a bit of new solder if it looks like it needs it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Over the weekend i finally got brave and tried to tackle the task of soldering pins back into the board. I bought a new soldering iron and an 8x magnifying glass for the cause. 10 minutes into it i realized there's no way in the world i was going to hit those tiny soldering points, so what i did was pried the black base off the board. Doing this left just enough of a nub of the old pins that i could connect the wires to. The end result is i can automatically turn on/off my dsatx again!
                    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      usually the pins are soldered into holes through the PCB. you could solder to the bottom side as well

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X