DSATX overheat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSATX overheat?

I have been running my carputer for weeks, and my carputer sometimes shutdown suddenly and could not be powered up again for a few minutes. Will that because of overheat of DSATX?

Just wondering if the DSATX sends a pulse to motherboard to shutdown the computer before cutting the power coz of the overheat? For those occasions, my computer just shutdown without any hints in advance.

What will be the other possible causes for the such shutdown?

Million thanks...

What components are you powering?
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

It is a computer with PlatinumD 805 DC, it is only a standard PC with GPS, I don't believe power is an issue. Any view on this?

Comment

If it's overheating, you should see the led in it blinking 4 times. Mine overheated mounted in the trunk, when outside temp was over 100F.

Do you see the main shutdown timer (1 blink) and then two blinks when the power off is sent and windows just shuts down or there's no warning blinks, it just cuts power and windows does not even know what happened?
        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

this happens randomly and the carputer has already been mounted in the boot, so i couldnt see the light.

Comment

yeah probably overheat. mine does it too. i widh i had bought the brainstem so i could raise that Power-cut temperature a bit

Comment

Right after it shuts down, the lights should still blinking untill acc is cut. Maybe you could then go to the boot and unscrew everything and see if it blinks?

When left parked under the sun, does the computer starts? If it does, it's may not be overheating...

If it's only when driving, it maybe be some motherboard connector not seated right, and then the vibration moves the plug/component and that crashes the MB.

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                Right after it shuts down, the lights should still blinking untill acc is cut. Maybe you could then go to the boot and unscrew everything and see if it blinks?

When left parked under the sun, does the computer starts? If it does, it's may not be overheating...

If it's only when driving, it maybe be some motherboard connector not seated right, and then the vibration moves the plug/component and that crashes the MB.
                actually that is not entirely true.. when it cuts power due to overheating, it does it violently..boom..no shut down.. And when left in the sun parked it might not allow you to even turn on..it happened to me once

Comment

Originally posted by Nomader View Post
                  actually that is not entirely true.. when it cuts power due to overheating, it does it violently..boom..no shut down..
                  I don't remember exactly how it happened and you may be right on this part, but I DO remember I could see it blinking 4x every time it wouldn't start.

And when left in the sun parked it might not allow you to even turn on..it happened to me once
                  That happened to me a lot. I then switched to a wood enclosure (a drawer in the trunk), thought about air flow and the problem was gone.

Comment

just checked...after my pc shutdown, the dsatx does not blink.....not light. After a few minutes, it starts working again....any clues?

Comment

Do you have enough juice (heavy gauge cable, no loose connection on the ground, etc.) going on to it? Re-check your connection points, see if there's not a short somewhere (eg. an open fan connector).

I had a hacked ATX psu that couldn't provide enough amps to it as windows was loading. It could work okay on the bios page, but as soon windows was loading (HD spinning, USB etc.), it would happened similarly as you describe (IIRC), eventually ATX PSU output voltage would fall from 11.9v to 11.4v. or so I thought and it would shut down suddenly. That's all I can think of right now.

Comment

i am trying to use the serial brainstem to monitor the voltage and temperature. But when i connect the brainstem to the dsatx, the auto turn on/shutdown doesnt work when i switch on/off ignition. Is it normal?

there are many things to play around for the dsatx

Comment

Working...
                        X