Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acid bass?

lol...
    how the hell could this have happened? too much bass? charging fumes blocked?
    both?

i had this blue rug between the terminal and chassis... it might have blocked the venting hole, because that was pointing upwards? (acid came out from the hose connector hole?

the side looked freshly wet, but it dried to some white bits after i had charged the battery...

brushed a bit and then vacuumed:

the paper was still wet too:

the car stood still for couple of weeks, before the PC drained all the power :P
    after installing the PC, i got the sound working with it and listened to some intense bass for many times...
    it seems that the sides of the battery are so soft that if i push it inwards, the venting hole will whistle as there's air going through it...

even if the rug was blocking the venting hole a bit - would it be so intense pressure for the acid come out of the battery? :s

imo it was ok before installing the PC an enjoying the sound (and there's like 5mm of the acid still left on top of the plates and is working fine atm)

The battery was probably over-filled, at a low state of charge, and then heavily/over charged, causing it to get hot, and overflow out the vent. FYI, this is why battery boxes are made out of plastic...
    2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
    Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

how could it have been overfilled? it creates water?
      it has been working fine and noone has added any liquids into it...

Comment

so you've checked the levels?
        2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
        Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

Why wasn't the venting tube hooked up to drain outside of the car?

What brand is that battery?
          My Nearly Complete Car:
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
          http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
          http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

didnt think that i would need such a 'hook'
            battery is RayLit 72Ah, 680A (somekind of Diesel Booster)

i've had to charge it couple of times before due to some lights left on in the car and the levels have never been high imo. how much is too much anyway? i think i would have spotted it

Comment

did you park the car at an extreme angle? this is why motorcycle batteries vent to the right.

if it wasn't over charged or over filled and didn't turn over thats the only thing i can think of.

Comment

crap... i did drive at a quite steep angle, many times, because that's what i had to do to get to a house

weird that it hasnt done this before though - ive been to the same house many times before and imo i've reversed out of the garden before too(maybe not so many times as this time, buit still)... maybe the high weather temperatures played a role in there? :s
                although the venting hole was pointing upwards... i dont think it could have come out from there?

i think i'll have to do the bass test brb

Comment

ah, dunno... bass seems to move only the stuff that is situated over the bass element (+some random chassis parts)
                  battery walls didnt seem to move at all. dunno about the liquid inside. atleast it didnt come out on a leveled gorund...

Comment

man oh man, peeled the paint right off... i bet theres a battery box in there next time

it may have been charged too fast?

i'm surprised oldspark or soundman has chimed in yet.

Comment

Originally posted by vull View Post
                      didnt think that i would need such a 'hook'
                      battery is RayLit 72Ah, 680A (somekind of Diesel Booster)

i've had to charge it couple of times before due to some lights left on in the car and the levels have never been high imo. how much is too much anyway? i think i would have spotted it
                      If you have a BMW diesel, your supposed to have a 85Ah battery. At least that's what is say in my E46 320DAT

Comment

Is that a wet battery in an enclosed area????

PS - I hadn't viewed previously 'cos I thought is was a house question - ie audio.
                        Water indeed.

Comment

maybe you could talk english instead os smailish?
                          i do have closed the side venting holes

Comment

ohhhhh ya thats a good point. when an electrical current is passed through water (charging), hydrogen is made (browns gas). one small oldSpark = kaboom

gooood point oldspark. see i knew he would show up, and always with a point to make

as for the venting holes - wouldn't the pressure from the fumes pop the fill caps off? AND there is usually a battery temp sensor under the hood nowadays that throttles the charge going to the batt, and i guess thats why.

Comment

Which part do you want explained?

A flooded battery in a confined space?
                              The legalities of the above?
                              The battery condition after flattening by "lights left on"?
                              The battery condition after "the PC drained all the power"?
                              The battery condition if it was sitting "drained" for a week or several?
                              That a battery doesn't "create water"?

The bottom line is that the battery has been penetrated by a Y-chromosomal flagellum; it is fundumentally fertilised; or farked; or stuffed. (Pick your preference.)

Assuming it's your only battery, acid will be bubbling out during cranking and heavy loads, and probably during charging.
                              Put it back in the engine bay where it belongs. Get a new cranker if needed.
                              If you want a boot battery for independent reserve or low resistance for the amp/s, get an AGM battery. If just independence etc, then an enclosed vented battery.

The only way this story could serve better as an example of what NOT to do ('cos of what can happen) is if it involved two batteries in parallel...
                              The only thing that could be worse is a thermal runaway of an AGM battery (maybe in parallel), though - like this situation - you are probably lucky there hasn't been an explosion. Yet.
                              Hopefully your lungs haven't been damaged.

And apologies if I seem a bit cruel. Like your battery, I'm just venting.

PS - UNBLOCK those vents!!!! You'll either have Hindenburg-II or be extracting acid from hole area (hole is not mispelt!).

Comment

Working...
                              X