Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time relay for CAR-PC...

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie at the forum and have one simple question.

I am planing to instal CAR-PC.
    I will be using miniITX board which has single voltage supply from 5 to 25 V DC.

I can control to turn ON and turn OFF the board, but would like to have time relay, which would completly remove the power supply to my board after 5 minutes.
    This is just for making sure that board doesn't hang up at shutdown sequence and drain my battery.

Consumption of whole system (motherboard, LVDS LCD - powered from motherboard, some USB peripheral, SSD and some other stuff) is around 30 Watts.

So relay needs to be for 12 V DC and current of 5 Amps.

Thank you for help.

Most car PSUs labelled "intelligent" will do this for you.

Comment

Hey

I'm building one today.
      Parts bought from radio shack for ~$10.
      I'll post some pics and schematic when done.

Comment

Originally posted by billmee View Post
        Hey

I'm building one today.
        Parts bought from radio shack for ~$10.
        I'll post some pics and schematic when done.

I don't need it anymore

I bought myself DCDC-USB which is perfect product and consumes less than 1mA in sleep mode which is not a problem for my battery.

Also you can configure times manualy and this is just perfect for my application.

Thank you anyway.

Comment

billmee - post it anyhow, maybe in a new thread. (For others.)

Comment

I am mainly looking for a pulse relay. A relay that will pulse when the trigger is ON, and pulse again when the trigger is OFF. Is there any such device?
            2005 Nissan Altima - Completed 2007
            2010 Nissan Altima - Coming Soon...

Comment

Try the12volt.com if nobody here can assist - though I suggest a search before posting.

Comment

I don't know if this meet requirements but I have something in the works for myself, but could be used by others.

What I'm having build, is a board that has a picaxe chip on, that can control the power up sequence and power down also. When the acc. line goes active, it will activate one relay after 7 secs, and another a bit after. The times can be corrected, if needed, to any number. When the acc. line goes off, the board holds the relays for ie. 20 sec's and then cuts. Again the 20 secs can be anything.

The board also have a low voltage detect so that battery is not drained.

The board will tie to permanent 12 V and the acc. line and will have 2 outputs, one for amps (very low amp relay) and one rated at about 10 amps for other stuff including the pc.

The only thing missing is a way to tell the pc to shut down or hybernate. Serial switch is one way to do it.

Just set bios to power up on power loss and it should boot when power is applied. Some mini-itx cases have this auto boot feature (including mine - http://mini-itx.com/store/?c=54 )

Tell me what you think, I will have one board made for myself with everything mounted and then there will be 4 spare boards left not mounted.
                Blessed are the "cracked" for it is they who let in the light.

Comment

Originally posted by checksum View Post
                  I am mainly looking for a pulse relay. A relay that will pulse when the trigger is ON, and pulse again when the trigger is OFF. Is there any such device?
                  check here:
                  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dVygJEw...ay-Module.html
                  My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                  "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                    I am not sure if this will work. I am trying to achieve the same thing that the M4-ATX does with the power switch on a computer. Send a pulse when ACC is detected (power on), and send another pulse when ACC if gone (power off).
                    I am trying to power another device that has a push button ON/OFF switch, and I don't want to buy a M4-ATX just for that purpose.

thx

Comment

then you would need 2 of them, and would need to use a diode.

or you can look into this controller in the mp3car store:
                      http://store.mp3car.com/Micro_Shutdo..._p/pwr-007.htm

or you can try to PM forum member 'curious' to see if he can make one for you..

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

That's a good link soundman....
                        IMO that's a great price for what it is. (Even cheaper than Arduino LOL!)

It's a pity more aren't into circuits though - stuff like this is often the cascading of "blocks" such as timers & edge triggers.
                        I'm about to do "a ~2 minutes after power off" power-hold for my voltmeter using a FET & cap (wot?! Not a 555??). But that could trigger and edge detect etc etc (but then use (schmidt) inverters or logic gates etc).

It's different when one has a cheapish "standard" PIC or uPC platform - then you just program it and plug it in (maybe add a few external FETS, relays etc). But until you overcome those "overheads", it's not practical.

Otherwise to find versatile yet cheap modules like that Micro Shutdown controller... PRICELESS! (Well, under $50 anyway.)

Comment

you bring up a good point-- pulse timers, should in theory, be easy to build if your familiar with 555 timer chips-- i think the product i linked to is based on one..

it might not be cheaper, but more interesting to build your own solution..

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

The reason I don't want to use the Micro Shutdown Controller at MP3 store is that is does not have a delay ON, it only has a delay OFF. So it may trigger before power is applied to the device or at excatly the same time, which is not ideal.
                            Take a look at this one I found:
                            http://www.prosecuritys.com/6062.html

Comment

What? Oh yeah, I make one that pulses when the input goes on or off, plus has an optional status input so it doesn't pulse when the ACC goes on and the device is already on (and vise versa). Plus a seperate delay timer for both pulses. But it could probably be built with some resistors, capacitors and relays.

Comment

Working...
                              X