Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Has your car pc ever killed your battery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Has your car pc ever killed your battery?

Simple poll, simple question. Please don't answer unless you have a car pc actually installed in your car.
    Yes
    59.09%
    No
    40.91%
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Yellowtops, Redtops, Walmart batteries and Die Hards, they've all fallen a time or two the the power of the car PC! lol
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Only once in 3 years thankfully.

Comment

The KINO-690S1 has killed my battery at least 2 times. Any other time the OPUS did a good job at protecting my battery.
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I've had my carPC since March 2008. If my battery were to die tomorrow, I couldn't say if it was due to the carPC.

Comment

Gotta love the killed AGMs - how to damage an expensive battery when a $20 device will protect it. (Maybe with a current boosting relay for $5; not to mention $5 battery isolator for most dual battery systems.)

Not that an AGM provides added reserve time over a flooded cell mind you...

Comment

I answered yes, but I think I misundertood your question after reading some posters. I never had to buy any replacement battery ever. So no long term damage.

However my batteries were discharged ("completely" as in no dash lights etc.) about 3 times. After a slow charge/or assisted charge, everything back to normal.

So I think the answer is NO for me.
              Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
              Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Never even had trouble starting my car, i am still using the original Battery that is now over 4 years old, and I used the Bybyte amp that does not turn off for the last year and a half

Comment

well, I missed the "currently installed" part.. heh, if only there was some way to take that one back. though I DO intend on doing my best to put things in place to make sure it never happens, the one dry run off of my cars electrical was fine.
                  ---------
                  I'll do the bumbling, and i'll be the idiot.
                  if you've got a "stupid" question, search for some of mine!

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                    I answered yes, but I think I misundertood your question after reading some posters. I never had to buy any replacement battery ever. So no long term damage.

However my batteries were discharged ("completely" as in no dash lights etc.) about 3 times. After a slow charge/or assisted charge, everything back to normal.

So I think the answer is NO for me.
                    Actually, I really meant "Has your battery every gone dead". Not, has it ever failed. So, you answered correctly. I changed the question wording to make it clearer.
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I've caused my battery enough trauma to require it being replaced. It only took a few deep cycles to push my stock battery to its grave.
                      Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                      Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                      Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Nope, other causes for battery replacement include:
                        corroded terminals, failed alternator/voltage regulator, and poor maintenance of the battery.

Note each of those has occurred on my vehicles but only the corroded terminals was with a PC installed I think they would have happened either way....

Master switch off.... works great. I have however left it on while in the theater for a two hour movie and the Suburban still started. The joys of a system that consumes about 30 watts.
                        TruckinMP3
                        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Amazingly enough my car pc has NOT killed my yellow top [my stereo has]

Turned my car off one night came back the next day to find out my PC had failed to shutdown. `uptime` read 18 hours some odd minutes. Still not sure how it survived and why my opus didnt cut power after the set 2 minutes.

But point being: I love me a good yellow top battery and a low[ish] power pc.
                          MobileThree: in car - Zotac Atom/ION - linuxICE 2.0.2
                          --worklog--

Comment

For me it was the OBDII reader drank the battery when I went on vacation, even though the car computer stuff was turned off :-(

Gary (-;
                            OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
                            OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
                            mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

Comment

Yes..numerous car pcs have killed batteries for many mp3Car employees.
                              Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
                              • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
                              • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
                              • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
                              • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

Working...
                              X