Different invertor - Via Epia M

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different invertor - Via Epia M

I'm not a big fan of inverters, but until Opus releases their new 90watt power supply or someone else comes up with a new power supply to work with the Epia M, I saw this invertor:
    75 watt inverter

I figured my Epia M with the Castronic 2699R case, 60 watt DC-DC power board (included) and the A/C adapter, should go with this inverter.
    It looks small enough and it probably will not make as much heat (wasted energy) and noise as opposed to the larger bulky inverters.
    What do you think..guys?

http://www.4lots.com/product.asp?0=203&1=209&3=95

UPDATE:
    (1st test - Power invertor)Rayovac invertor 75w/150watt max.

Plugged it in, powered using the supplied 60 watt castronic A/C adapter, light came ON in the adapter, turned ON computer 2 seconds later...COMPUTER POWER LOSS.....I'm looking into what may be going wrong. It doesn't make sense but seems to be a power overload.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (2nd test - Radio shack 60 watt/12-27 volt in car universal notebook adapter) set to 12 volts.

Plugged in directly to castronic 2699R case, powered up and 2 seconds later - same power loss problem - I checked the inline glass fuse in the DC adapter and it was blown. I think the castronic power supply is drawing too many amps.

Hi, I'm looking to set up a similar system, let me know how your inverter setup turns out.

Comment

New Version Soon

Great awsome find by the way, i havent seen one of these yet but digging around in there site they seem to be comming out with a 150 watt version soon too...

http://www.4lots.com/power_inverter/...xPower_175.htm

I ordered the 75 watt one and it shipped today, Ill let everyone know how it works out...i figure if it dosent work out for my car puter then I can find a 100 other uses for it and its pretty cheap so well see.

Comment

Sam's Club (www.samsclub.com) carries the exact same one for $15. I ordered one to use with my laptop (non-standard, can't find a DC-DC converter). I have yet to use it though...
        KG6OQD
        www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

I ended up purchasing the Rayovac Mini Power Inverter, it has 75 watt normal use and 150 peak. I got a better deal.

Thanks for the Sam's club tip, that's a great deal. I might pick one up there too. I wonder if it's available in their stores too?

I also purchased a Radio Shack DC regulated Power adapter (12-27 volt selection) 60Watts (not an invertor). This is the only universal laptop adapter I could find that had a 12 voltage selector, all others were 15 volts and up. They put one up every few days on ebay under radioshackoutlet user ID. It retails for $79.99, I paid about $38 after shipping.
          If you guys know of another universal 12 volt > laptop adapter, let me know.

I'm going to try both out when I receive them and report back.

Comment

Nice samsclub find I would have never thought to look there, maybe Ill cancel my order as there is a sams club right up the road...

Comment

I did go look at the local Sam's Club, and did not find it in the store. (I needed it fast for a road trip in the company van). I wound up buying a heavy duty unit, which will now go in my trailer.
              KG6OQD
              www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

UPDATE:
                (1st test - Power invertor)Rayovac invertor 75w/150watt max.

Plugged it in, powered using the supplied 60 watt castronic A/C adapter, light came ON in the adapter, turned ON computer 2 seconds later...COMPUTER POWER LOSS.....I'm looking into what may be going wrong. It doesn't make sense but seems to be a power overload.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                (2nd test - Radio shack 60 watt/12-27 volt in car universal notebook adapter) set to 12 volts.

Plugged in directly to castronic 2699R case, powered up and 2 seconds later - same power loss problem - I checked the inline glass fuse in the DC adapter and it was blown. I think the castronic power supply is drawing too many amps.

Comment

Could someone explain to me why you can't use a standard DC/DC PSU w/ the Epia M?

Comment

Originally posted by Skippman
                    Could someone explain to me why you can't use a standard DC/DC PSU w/ the Epia M?

If you're mean the DC-DC power boards that come with the Casetronic cases? You can, but don't try to connect it to the directly to the car power line, because you're most likely going to fry your equipment. You're car's 12 volt power is unregulated, it can go as low as 8 volts to as high as 16 volts. You need a good power supply designed for the car so as to compansate for the power fluctuations.

Comment

or just build yourself a cheap 12v regulator...
                      James
                      www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Jamez_Warner
                        or just build yourself a cheap 12v regulator...
                        James
                        You could .....it's just you won't be able to use your computer while the car engine is not running. That would require a more complex regulator.

Also, don't forget the auto-shutdown controller I would recommend you add in the long-run if you're going that route.

Comment

I've been looking into more powerful inverters and also an inverter with true sine wave technology. True sine wave inverters are much better than your average modified sine-wave inverters.
                          But the only draw back to true sine wave inverters is the cost, usually several times more than the modified sine wave inverters.

True sine wave will give the the best power you can get, even better the the outlet in your home:
                          No noise interference
                          Silent
                          No spikes
                          No voltage fluctuations
                          No power surges

After doing some research I found the best deal on a true sine wave inverter. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...rand=Statpower

At only $69, it's a steal.
                          This should give me the power I need until maybe I decide to use a well tested ATX power supply.

UPDATE: I purchase the power inverter and found out that it's a modified sine wave inverter. Harbor Freight either lied in there online ad or it was a mis-print. Besides, the inverter didn't come with any cable, not even a cigarette lighter cable for me to do an initial test. I wanted to run it to my trunk, but the instructions stated to run shorter DC cables and longer AC cables instead.
                          So any how, the wattage was also more than what I needed anyways which is another draw back. Iím returning it and just going to stick with a DC power supply when it comes out in a week or two.

Comment

I havent started my setup yet but plan on doing it within a few weeks. Just trying to calculate all the costs. I have a 300 watt trip-lite inverter that works perfectly for charging my laptop.

I was planning on running a direct wire from the battery to the interter so i dont blow a cigarette lighter fuse.

How come you guys done use inverters and prefer to use a PSU? Also do any of you stick your computer underneath the passenger seat? Would heat be a problem with that?

Thanks
                            Hardware: M10000 / 2.5" 700meg Solid State Drive / 30 gig 7200 rpm HD / DigitalWW 7" LCD / USB Touscreen / X10 Lola Remote / Serial GPS
                            Current Project: Turning Nissan Steering Wheel Remote into Joystick to control Frodoplayer

Comment

I have an extra 300w power supply here at home that I was giong to use with my EPIA. I know it's overkill, but it's extra, so why not use it? I was going to go inverter, but because my PS is 300w, am I going to need at least a 300w inverter as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X