Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optional Power Switch (M2-ATX)

Hi All

In the middle of sorting my car PC out and i have been trying to get some information about a power switch that i can have that will allow me to leave the PC off if im only doing a short journey.

So if its set to ON PC will power up when turning over the car, if its OFF it wont

Ive read a few posts on the forums, and i think im right in that i would install a switch inline on the ACC line, is this correct?

Also, if so what kinda switch do i need? Anything in particular or just an ordinary onn/off switch?

Scott

I used this switch for that exact purpose...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=060-405

Any switch in line with the ACC line to the PSU will work though.

Comment

That's the style I actually googled, spooky! With the 4 pins at the bottom is it easy to wire?

I have no auto electrical expertese at all! Seeing there are 4 pins and only 2 wires (from cutting the wire) I'm confused already

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scottholmes View Post
        That's the style I actually googled, spooky! With the 4 pins at the bottom is it easy to wire?

I have no auto electrical expertese at all! Seeing there are 4 pins and only 2 wires (from cutting the wire) I'm confused already

Scott
        Bottom 2 are for the LED. This particular one you'd run a small 680ohm or moderately higher resistor off the lead that becomes hot when closed to the + LED contact on the button, in addition to the outgoing ACC line to the PSU, so the LED lights up when on rather than constantly. Use a higher ohm one if you don't want it as bright.
        2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
        Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

Comment

Ah ok, that makes sense. If for whatever reason didnt want or need a visual led i could just ignore the bottom two?

Thx!

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scottholmes View Post
            Ah ok, that makes sense. If for whatever reason didnt want or need a visual led i could just ignore the bottom two?

Thx!

Scott
            Yep, not necessary if you don't need/want the LED. While you can just use crimp-on blades to connect to the switch, you'd have to solder the small resistor between the contact points for the LED.
            Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne613 View Post
              Yep, not necessary if you don't need/want the LED. While you can just use crimp-on blades to use the switch, you'd have to solder the small resistor between the contact points for the LED.
              I think i need to hire you to be my personal advisor

I have no need for the led, think it would annoy me more than anything. I have loads of those crimp things so that will do.

Thanks to you both.

Scott

Comment

Found one on eBay that has only 3 PINs, GND (obvious where that goes) and then PWR and ACC.

Wiring that in would it be PWR to the ACC line (as thats where it will get the power) and then the ACC pin connects to the M2?

Or have i totally got no clue what im talking about and its the other way round?

Scott

Comment

Why ebay though with all the online parts stores? That should be correct, yes. Assuming SPST, worst that will happen is the LED will be on constantly rather than only when your PSU is getting the ACC feed should the acc/pwr lines be reversed. Do you have a link?

Comment

the three pins are the same concept of the switch above it just uses the same ground there for no need for the forth pin one is positive one is ground and one is acc which is for the led if you dont want the led just hook up the to powers and not the ground.

Comment

I just find ebay easier, and im incredibly lazy! Was only 2.25 delivered, and to be honest its easier than trying to find a decent parts store online in the UK that isnt Halfords, and i hate them!

I wasnt sure if i could link to eBay or not so didnt want to post just in case!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Scott

Comment

Yep, that should be fine.

Comment

Excellent, just the power wire, DAB Radio and then the hardest thing to find will be the monitor/fabrication and im sorted! I can start looking for the car then, lol.

Thanks for your help

Scott

Comment

Small FYI with the LED on the M2...

I believe (and I will double check when I get home) that the M2 keeps both pins for the LED high and then lights the LED by grounding one with the output of the PIC.

You can always just ignore the LED on a switch like the one I linked, and it is easy to double check your connections with a multimeter before you install it to make sure you understand what is happening at each contact. I have mine wired with a pretty high current limiting resistor (10k I think) in order to match the brightness of the LED to the rest of the red lights in the car. However, mine is just wired with the anode (+ terminal) of the LED connected to the side of the switch that is not permanently wired to +12V. When the switch is on the LED is on, and when it's off the LED is off... Simple enough.

edit:
                            I just realized that first comment might be confusing... the M2 can flash an LED. I am planning on eventually connecting the LED output of the M2 to my ACC switch LED so I can see it in the front of the car, so it is useful information if you ever wanted to do something similar...

Comment

I get why you'd think you'd want this, however, and again this might just be me personally, but..

Why not simply run a parallel line off the shutdown leads going to the MB so you can manually turn it on/off in that manner with a momentary SPST button, the same as you'd have on your desktop/laptop computer?

I can't speak for this PSU, but there have been instances where I switched too fast between ACC and off and the PSU's controller didn't sense things correctly, so it didn't turn on; things like this are very infrequent, but they do happen. So [to me] at least you'd probably want this at some point anyhow, even if it's not visible.

Comment

Working...
                              X