Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powering a M4 ATX with CD player wire harness?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering a M4 ATX with CD player wire harness?

Is it possible to use the power cable that runs through your wire harness that powers your cd player to power your carputer?
    Never accept STOCK equipment.

It should work, as long as you have a 12V and ground wire in there (and ignition if you need it for the p/s) and the fuse is big enough to handle the amp requirements. Others may chime in with more info for you.
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Originally posted by knownchild View Post
      Is it possible to use the power cable that runs through your wire harness that powers your cd player to power your carputer?
      Depends on the wire size in the harness, how much of a draw is already on the wire and what draw you are going to add.

Overloading an existing set of wires can lead to a melted wire harness and fire.

I suggest you learn some basic electronics and calculate the loads.
      Last edited by TruckinMP3; 03-09-2011, 04:56 PM. Reason: autolinks to the wiki suck
      TruckinMP3
      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

id say its about 10-14 gauge and it will only be powering my carputer, will putting a fuse on prevent the chances of fire?

Comment

The melting is something I didn't consider. Thanks for that info, Truckin.

To the OP: if you plan on installing a carpc, you should consider just running a separate 12V line directly from the battery to a distribution block. Just don't go cheap on the components - make sure you use a 4GA or bigger wire from the battery, use a good inline fuse, and use a good distribution amp. It will definitely make things a lot easier if you decide later to add more equipment - like a nice 12V powered USB hub or an amplifier, for instance.
          1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Originally posted by kegobeer View Post
            The melting is something I didn't consider. Thanks for that info, Truckin.

To the OP: if you plan on installing a carpc, you should consider just running a separate 12V line directly from the battery to a distribution block. Just don't go cheap on the components - make sure you use a 4GA or bigger wire from the battery, use a good inline fuse, and use a good distribution amp. It will definitely make things a lot easier if you decide later to add more equipment - like a nice 12V powered USB hub or an amplifier, for instance.
            Actually im planning on going with a mini internal amp that i think ill run off of one of the 4 pin molex cables from my PSU. i have some 25amp and 30 amp fuses with fuse holders that connect right to the line.
            Also the wire is 14 gauge.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and run a power line back to the battery for your power. Put a fuse on it close to the battery.

It's time this gets added to this thread:

Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Way to draw a picture lol

But its not a cig lighter power source. (could be same difference i guess)
                I do however power my screen with the cig lighter.

Its just such a pain to get the wires through the firewall.

Comment

Way to draw a picture lol

But its not a cig lighter power source. (could be same difference i guess)
                  I do however power my screen with the cig lighter.

Its just such a pain to get the wires through the firewall.
                  Believe me, it's not that bad. There's probably a forum dedicated to your car's make and model, and in there someone will have information on the easiest way to get power from your battery to your trunk. There are usually factory grommets in the driver/passenger firewall that you can use. It took me about 20 minutes to locate and get to the grommet, drill a hole in the grommet, and fish a 4GA wire through.

Comment

well about that i already have a cord running through the firewall that bestbuy installed for my remote start, i added some cord from there cord to my carputer but the fuse at the battery melted and did not blow so it kind of freaked me out. I think they have a too high of amperage fuse at the battery.

I could run another cord through but i just cant see where its popping out at.

Comment

Help yourself and read this:
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=5

It will help you not have a fire, additionally you will get a better result.
                      TruckinMP3
                      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

well about that i already have a cord running through the firewall that bestbuy installed for my remote start, i added some cord from there cord to my carputer but the fuse at the battery melted and did not blow so it kind of freaked me out.
                        Whoa, dude. You're lucky you didn't catch your car on fire. You can't just splice into an existing line without doing some calculations. Please take Truckin's advice and educate yourself on how a car's electrical system works.

Comment

thank you

Comment

It's amazing how there are always folks who think they know better than the collective wisdom of the forums.

Usually what happens in these cases is one of three things:

1. Mostly, they fail, and managed to blow up their car/catch it on fire/have the PC speakers fly through the air and hit them/etc...

2. Less often, everything works, albeit poorly. McGyverisms occasionally work.

3. Very, very, very rarely, they stumble on a better way of doing things.

But hey, if you are going to disregard the collective wisdom of the forum, I have to ask, why bother asking in the first place?
                            2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
                            Core Duo CarPC
                            CarDomain page

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                              Do yourself a favor and run a power line back to the battery for your power. Put a fuse on it close to the battery.

It's time this gets added to this thread:

Hate to be that guy in the car...

Reminder: Put an in line fuse on the power from the battery close to the battery!!!
                              Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
                              Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

Comment

Working...
                              X