Can anyone identify this connector? DCDC-USB VAux question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify this connector? DCDC-USB VAux question

Hey everyone. I've emailed minibox about 3 times but they seem to not be replying to my emails.
    Does anyone know what the VAux plug on DCDC-USB is called? I need to build myself a connector for it, but I can't find it online (sparkfun, futurlec) but it would be a lot easier if I knew what those connectors are called.
    The connector doesn't look that heavy duty - I wonder how much power output it can handle
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    My Project: All-in-one Double Din Unit

It's a 12V connection. If you want to make a connection, just find a used computer case and pull the existing wiring out and use those cables. You can find them online, too, at places like Jameco, or you can go to a local computer repair shop and get some.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...-get-them.html
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

That's not it. I have unpolarized connectors (like the mobo headers) and polarized connectors (used with fans) and neither fit. If you look at the power supply itself, you'll see that it's a very specific polarized connector - I'm just not sure what it's called

Comment

A picture of it would be helpful.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
          A picture of it would be helpful.
          I was hoping that someone that actually owns this power supply would reply
          It's currently mounted in my system, but I'll have to take everything apart anyways, so I'll snap a picture of the vaux jack.

Comment

Are you talking about this? It's some kind of molex connector, maybe?
            Attached Files
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:

Comment

Yes sir, that's exactly the one! I can't find which Molex it is though. It's a 2 pin polarized jack, but neither the regular polarized header connectors (like the ones used for fans), nor mini fan connectors (used for small video card fans and such) fit into this one. I just took two header pins, crimped wires on them, put some tape around them and plugged them in. They hold pretty well, but I'd rather have a normal jack for that extra hold.

Comment

Okay, I edited the title of thread to give it some more attention.

It's really sad that Mini-box won't answer your emails. Obviously, they know what kind it is.

If you don't find out what it is, you could use some epoxy putty and pack it around the connectors and wire to make a more durable connection - or carefully wrap the outside of the white plastic with masking tape to make a container and put a dab of silicon in it. You would be able to remove it with a hobby knife if you had to.
                Want to:

Comment

Thanks for the edit. I was thinking I could also break off the surrounding plastic around it and just use a header connector, since the spacing is right, I think.

Comment

I have this power supply, and I just modified a fan connector (cut it down to fit) and haven't had any issues with it.
                    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Looks like a typical 2mm JST connector.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...keywords=phr-2

Comment

I'm also checking with Min-Box on this. Hopefully I'll have better results with a response. I'll let you know what I find out.
                        Have a product you would like to sell on the mp3Car Store? PM me for more information.

Have a car computer question? Ask me by emailing the store.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for your help everyone - it does look like it's a JST connector. I'll go order some and report back when I get them.

I think DCDC-USB should ship with this connector since it's not a standard 2 pin polarized header connector. One can hope, right?

Comment

if you grab hold of the white surround with a pair of small pliers it will slide upwards on the pins. you can pull it right off this way. no need to break it off. you can then use a standard 2.54mm pitch 1x2 header connector. glue it down with hotmelt (hot glue gun) if you're worried about rigidity

Comment

nivanov did the connector fit?

Comment

Working...
                              X