Recommend a replacement for my Opus 120

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a replacement for my Opus 120

After multiple issues with my Opus 120 I am looking for a replacement. I've looked at the M2, M3, and M4 and don't know which way to go.

1. Can't cause interference (I had none with the Opus and my HD tuner was 1 inch above the PSU)
    2. Needs to be small enough to fit into a double-din case
    3. Needs to be able to power my HDD (2,5" SSD) , RADIO (DIRECTED), and Monitor (lilliput) plus the PC (atom)
    4. Needs to have amp on.
    5. Anti-thump is preferred.

Suggestions?
    Click for my projects
    2006 F150 with removable Nexus 7

2006 Mustang with indash CarPC (Retired)

What's wrong with your Opus?
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

It's no longer sending the signal to soft power on. I'm unsure if a surface mount fuse or something is blown but it definitely sends power to the MB since I can connect a switch and turn it on.

Originally posted by kegobeer View Post
      What's wrong with your Opus?
      Last edited by Deric; 04-13-2011, 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling
      Click for my projects

Comment

How old is it? Have you contacted Opus about it? You can probably send it in for repair or replacement. I wouldn't downgrade to an M-type power supply.
        1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

kegobeer, this is just your opinion right? downgrade? "M-type style PSU "M2-ATX" always have been rock solid for me for over 3-plus years. No problems with "EFI" interference here. I guess it's just the M4-ATX right? And the M2s are in 6 different machines. And i'm sure alot of people here who own M2s also don't have these problems too. Maybe I'm just lucky? I do own Opus units too which are great also, a great product. I plan on building a 7th CarPc with the Opus 360 PSU. I will need this extra horsepower. Being that, I will be using the MINI-X 890-GX MB with a i7 quad CPU. My mid-summer project. What Joy.

Comment

it's nice to have a m-owner in on this conversation!(i was talking about this elsewhere, but i'l put down the main points here)

while i do tend to agree that the m2 seems to be the most 'solid' m-series unit, i don't like all the problems i see on this board, when it seems that opus, carnetix, and dsatx type solutions seem to get so much less negative publicity.

i guess the best question to ask is, from your standpoint, do you believe that if a opus/carnetix/dsatx psu was as popular as any of the m-series, would there be just as many problem threads about it?
            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                it's nice to have a m-owner in on this conversation!(i was talking about this elsewhere, but i'l put down the main points here)

while i do tend to agree that the m2 seems to be the most 'solid' m-series unit, i don't like all the problems i see on this board, when it seems that opus, carnetix, and dsatx type solutions seem to get so much less negative publicity.

i guess the best question to ask is, from your standpoint, do you believe that if a opus/carnetix/dsatx psu was as popular as any of the m-series, would there be just as many problem threads about it?

I never had an any issues with the m2s that I've used. My current one is powering my i3, lilliput, ssd, and 2.5" hard drive.

Comment

I enabled power on after loss of power in the BIOS and now I'm able to boot in the car. The opus is sending a signal because it will shutdown windows when I turn-off the car. I think I'll put up with my issue until I build a pico ITX based system. :/
                  Click for my projects

Comment

Whatever you do, don't get the M4. My M4 had a bunch of quirks and when I finally got a hold of mini-box they told me to return it to the company that sold it to me. Looking over the forums, it looks like the M4 is plagued with issues. I called Opus and immediately had a very knowledgeable support person stepping me through my power supply selection process. Maybe the M2's are more reliable, but definitely not the M4. For me, the extra $100 is a small price to pay to have a company that I know will answer when I call (OPUS).

Comment

Working...
                    X