Best way to power my...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to power my...

...monitor and usb hub. I am seriously considering getting the ToughBox 16- Zotac & Intel-Based Wi-Fi Mobile Car Computer System when it is back in stock. My original plan was to get the ULTIMATE Micro Intel Vehicle & Home Media Computer and power my screen off of the P2140 PSU that is included. Considering the Tough Box 16 does not come with a P2140 PSU what are my options. Currently I am considering getting two DCL11 Automotive Point-Of-Load DC-DC 15W Power Supplies but not sure if that is the best option. Help me out guys. What should I do here?

if you're getting the toughbox i'd say just splice into the 12v (yellow) on the molex connector inside the case and use that for power to the monitor and hub. If you're really worried about exceeding the 5v rail then yea get the Point-Of-Load and use that. I have a few of them and have never had an issue with them.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Thanks. So if my monitor and usb hub both use 5v but one is at 1A and the other is at 2A would I have to use two POL's to not exceed the 15w max? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am truly a newbie when it comes to wiring. I really hate feeling like this to lol. But thanks again for your help.

Comment

Thanks. So if I decided to use a POL and both of my devices are running off of 5v but one is pulling 1A and the other is pulling 2A would I need to get two different POL? I know the max is 15w but I am not sure if having two different amps is possible. I am a real newbie when it comes to wiring so please forget me if this is a stupid question but I am trying to learn. Thanks again.

Comment

Here's what I came up with. Ebay item# 220755391224 DC/DC Converter Auto Boost Buck 80W Power Supply CC CV 8-30V Input, 2-16V dual adjustable output(voltage and current), at $28 I don't see the downside.

Comment

i worry that it is too cheap, though i really don't see a reason other then that...
            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

I'm not familiar with the equipment you describe, nor your power requirements. But, if you're concerned with it being "too cheap", try this one. Ebay item# 260739052558 DC/DC Stabilizer I/P 8-40V Regulate to 12V-10A 120W Go to their store, they have several power converters.

Comment

I tend to agree with soundman. (So what else is new?)

But:
                (1) Shipping seems expensive (ie, post is cross-subsidising the real product "cost")
                (2) $Cheap does not mean cheap quality nor crap. I often come across the CHeap stuff which is $cheap but far from poor quality (design & construction).

[ Caveat: Uppercase spelling errors and any uppercase association with any country codes is an interesting coincidence. ]

FYI - if not for the shipping co$t, I'd suck it 'n see - it's cheap enough for the gambol.
                If I could guarantee a "base" value, I might order a few units if it lowers the average unit shipping cost - eg, for $8, would I buy that box and connectors - is it ok value if the rest is garbage? But in this case I suspect the shipping price will not decrease much...
                My last eGay buys involved zapper fly swatters and LED voltmeters.
                The 2 different voltmeters I bought 3 each of for a good unit price and have no regrets.
                The zapper I got 6 units being (6@$6 each plus $10 postage ($46) versus $20 each or $10 elsewhere "in person" which would have been $50 for the 5 I intended getting ($50); but only got the FU quantity (zero) for @ $20! (Ok, the zapper needs padding behind its +ve battery contact, but I can live with that. I use one end of a broken toothpick; a 10-second job.)

Comment

You're kidding...

Oh, come on! Everybody knows exactly why it's priced that way. It's so he doesn't have to pay Ebay half his profits, nothing more. For $28, I'm ordering one. If you want to wait, it'll be about a month before it arrives and I can install and get back to you. Until then, put yourself at ease and buy something more expensive.

Comment

Oh dear!
                    And I thought it was to suck people in - like those car-badge keyrings for $0.01 each.

Comment

both concepts make sense to me.. i also always thought it was more of a bait-and-switch tactic(like brand new pc's for 0.01+$500 shipping)

though i think it is fair to say that i, and apparently oldspark are not part of the mass 'everybody' (otherwise i wouldn't be here!!)
                      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Yet again, what can I say?
                        [ Nothing. So I'll write it instead & annoy everyone... ]

Yes - it's called marketing. Though in this case it may be simply a selling technique & not par of a bigger plan (ie, marketing).

It takes advantage of the way most people think. Or not.
                        Take for example the interest charged over 3 years by a certain place. I said it was close to 50%. The reply was "bullsh". Okay then I said, it's around 47%. "Rubbish, its way lower than that!". I think they were thinking of the 14% interest they charged. Well, over 3 years calculated on a non-reducing-principal, that is 47%. That is VERY different to a typical personal loan with reducing principal. The difference is over $1,000 on a ~$3,000 loan (I think). (Compare YOUR loan for $3500 at $33 per week for 3 years. $33 x 156 = $5148 = $1648 interest = 47.1% over 3 years, or 15.6% per year averaged. That compares to the personal loan rate also of about 14% (typically 13.5%).)

I couldn't get over how quick people would sign up. But maybe they were smart enough to buy now, then later arrange a personal loan to buy-out the "non-contracted" non-reducing loan. Now that is smart, especially if it was essential or worthwhile having this item even at 150% of its retail price. But I suspect most people weren't. (Even the people pushing the plan were too dumb to realise.)

Sorry. Pre-coffee. Ramble worse.

Similar with eBay. "I got it for $2.34!" Yeah - pity about the $20 P&P fee for the $5 postage and $3 packaging & $12 labor. (But if P&P for 3 units is only $22..... or $25 for 10...)

I should get out and sell some more shares. A non-public company recently listed. It's a train company. They cart mostly coal. I wonder why they are selling? (Talk about misleading advertising, but it will be another "who knew?" things, or as I see it, who cares?)

(soundman and similar minded should not answer that last question! I know your likely answers.)

Coffee time. Please....

Comment

The point of the guy's post was that, to maximize profit, you sell the product for less and charge more for shipping. eBay does not take any percentage of shipping costs. If the guy charges $5 for the product and $20 for shipping, it costs you $25 and he gets a larger chunk of the profit. If he charges you $20 for the product and $5 for shipping, it costs you $25 and he gets a smaller chunk of the profit.

It's nothing like the credit example you posted. This is just a way for eBay sellers to make more and have eBay take less.
                          1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Exactly!

This guy knows what I'm talking about. It's not exorbitant shipping. It's just keeping the price low for us, keeping his profits where they should be, and telling greedy old Ebay to bite us all. $28 is almost half the price of the closest product I could find. Anybody who complains that the price is too low, is nucking futs!
                            Originally posted by kegobeer View Post
                            The point of the guy's post was that, to maximize profit, you sell the product for less and charge more for shipping. eBay does not take any percentage of shipping costs. If the guy charges $5 for the product and $20 for shipping, it costs you $25 and he gets a larger chunk of the profit. If he charges you $20 for the product and $5 for shipping, it costs you $25 and he gets a smaller chunk of the profit.

It's nothing like the credit example you posted. This is just a way for eBay sellers to make more and have eBay take less.

Comment

You took the interest example out of context - I was talking about how silly people can be wrt to "hidden" costs (despite their (IMO) plain visibility. Sorry of that wasn't clear.

The point about eBay's non-commish postage is good and a worthy consideration. Hence eBay's feedback that asks if we thought P&P was reasonable etc. They aren't that stupid, although the seller having over 1900 transactions has impacts....

I still maintain though that cheap price does not mean cheap quality - though that's more evident as expensive does not mean good.

Comment

Working...
                              X