Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange power hiccup on m2-atx when turning my car off.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange power hiccup on m2-atx when turning my car off.

I recently changed my car PC installation over to another motherboard and as a result changed my power supply back to the m2-atx. Keeping all the components (Power, USB etc) the same i figured it'd be an easy deal. I am now having a problem that i really dont know where to begin troubleshooting. Basically the power to my car PC dips down to <9volts whenever i take my key out of the ignition. It only happens for a second before the multimeter jumps back up to 12v, but its long enough that the m2 cant compensate for the dip and keep my system alive. I can hear the processor fan speed slow for a second before it picks back up and the computer reboots.

The thing thats kinda baffling me is this really shouldn't be happening. Both of my batteries are less than a year old and the auxiliary battery powers nothing but the car PC and a single (but new) amplifier. I never run the system with the engine off and both batteries still test fine. So where should i start checking? Could a loose wire cause the problem? Again, i'm using all the same wiring, same battery isolator etc. What could cause a dip in detected voltage from a healthy battery?
    Last edited by Sonicxtacy02; 05-27-2011, 08:14 AM.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

so if you turn the ignition off, but keep the key in, the power stays around 12v? but as soon as you pull the key out, it momentarily drops?

i wonder if it is a worn ignition assembly causing a brief short.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

actually i was wrong.. i just did tests, the power dips when the ignition is turned off, regardless of the key still being in the cylinder.

Comment

ok, does the power also dip when you turn the ignition on?(if something is shorted inside the ignition)

it really sounds like a car problem more-so then a pc issue...(maybe check your cars forum, or a local dealership?)

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Yes, it also dips during crank. I figured it had to be something with the PC because i never had such problems with my prior motherboard and DSATX power supply

Comment

not while the motor cranks, but as you are turning the key from 'off' to 'acc', or 'run'

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Going from acc to on is fine

Comment

Working...
              X