No announcement yet.

How to mount M2-ATX in non-conventional case.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to mount M2-ATX in non-conventional case.

Sooo, I basically DIYed a case out of an old microatx case, making it much smaller and more suited to my needs. Now, the only place to mount my m2-atx is on a bare aluminum portion of my case.

I don't know much about electronics, but I do know that mounting straight onto aluminum can't be good... so, what are my options? Could I get away with using thick double sided tape to make a "platform" of sorts to mount it on?

I don't have access to standoffs so that's not an option

i was originally going to say that it would work.

but i am a little worried that with constant pressure, some of the solder joints could poke through the double sided tape and short out.

what about mounting the m2 to a sheet of plastic(like this), and then use the double sided tape to mount the plastic?
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

i would recommend using M3 metric thread (fairly typical machine screw with mini-itx computers)
      or you could use 6-32 american thread (fairly typical with ATX computers)

a length of 5-10mm should be fine, obviously depending on your case and space allotment
      drill a couple holes somewhere, mount those up, good to go

Washers, bolts, and nuts. You can build your own stand offs with these that will be perfectly function and won't risk shorting (as soundman98 mentioned). Use a bit of lock tight to keep vibrations from causing any looseness.