Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU choice?!

Hi guys,

I'm slowly building my first CarPC, and I've run into a bit of a problem concerning the choice of power supply.

I'll need to power up an AsRock E350-M1 mainboard and I can only chosee between the M1 to M4-ATX series or the PicoPSU.

Which would you recommend? I'm looking for stability, features and, of course, the one with the least known problems

These are the only things I can get: http://www.pcgadget.ro/Surse-ATX-PicoPSU-FANLESS.html [ignore the Romanian text, the models are quite clear though].

Thanks!

well, i can rule 1 out right away-- do not use the pico psu. these require regulated 12volts-- cars voltage is usually around 12 volts, but can go from 5v to 15v. the pico psu just sends that to the motherboard--it will kill computer parts.

though, after reading a little more(i do not understand russion, so that could be part of the problem) it seems to refer to the M3 as a pico psu as well.

if the site is just refering to the small size of the psu, then it is a different story.

i believe all Pico PSU models(the ones to avoid) use a yellow 20 pin connector

can i ask why you are only deciding between the m1 + m4? there are 2 models in between that could work as well.

you really need to look at what you want to power with the psu, and then add up the approximate maximum power consumption of each device to see what product best fits your needs.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

I couldn't agree more, unfortunately I don't get much of a choice in my part of the world.

Also, what I meant to say is that I can choose from the Mx series.

Comment

ok, for your board only, the m1, or m3 should be plenty, but the most common psu for that type of board is the m2..

the m4 would also work, though is a lot more money upfront. if you plant to eventually upgrade to a more- power-hungry pc later, then it is a worthwhile investment, but is not needed in your current build.

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Alright, but output power aside, which is the most "bug free" of them? And by that I mean available settings that actually work, engine crank resiliency [I drive a diesel car so it needs quite a bit of power at start-up].

I'm only asking because I've seen so many threads regarding firmware problems, electrical noise, etc...

Comment

for product support/reliability, i recommend the dsatx(zootjeff provides excellent support), or a opus series-- i know, neither are available in romania..

i have not been very happy with what i have read on any of those psu's you have available...

there is some debate that they are so popular, that the problems with them probably are not any worse then any other psu if based on a percentage of psu's-sold, but the market size is so much larger that there seems to be more problems..

as i said, the m2 seems to be the most popular model, so it might be the best one to go with..

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

The M2 works well for what it is. FYI, mp3car.com ships everywhere. And the UK based CarPC retailer should ship there too.
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I can recommend the opus.
                The epitome of Function over form and is probably the best Car PC in Europe.
                Visit my Homepage

Comment

I might go with the Opus or the DSATX, but there are more things to consider. Like warranty, transport charges, etc...

I guess, considering my choices, that it all boils down to M2 vs M4 ATX.

Both would be powerful enough for what I'll throw at it, but which one would you recommend? I'm looking for the one least likely to give me headaches

Comment

i would probably go with the m2. the problems i have read of seem to be less severe, and it also seems there are many, many more m2 users..

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

IT seems that the M2-ATX is not in stock, and there's no known date when it'll be available.

I see that the M4-ATX has got pretty good feedback on cartft.com: http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/903

Any thoughts on this? My choice seems to be already made up by the local retailers, though. I hope it'll work...

Comment

My Car PC is based on the exact same motherboard as yours and I use the M3 PSU. I selected it because of its size, since I can fit it all in a M350 case and keep it all tidy. I also power through the M3's molex connector my monitor(VM70) and a usb hub that I have up front and I have no issues with lack of power, since that motherboard uses really low amounts of power.

Comment

i was really recommending the m2 over the m4 because of the size. the m4 will not fit in any carpc case, where the m1-3's will. not sure if that matters(it doesn't to me!), butit is something to keep in mind if you want to install everything in a case.

otherwise, i don't believe there are any serious issues since they revised the m4 pc board(it still might have some power traces going over the mounting points, so always use non-conductive hardware to mount it)

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

I managed to get the M2-ATX in the end. Fits perfectly in my case [JNC Cute-Q1] and has the same mounting points as the PSU that came with the case.

I'm taking care of the s/w install / tune-up and I'm using the P1 setting on a 12V, 65W power brick. The PSU seems to work just as advertised, but until I get it in the car [which is gonna take a while], I'm still a bit skeptic I need to see it handle the engine crank on my diesel engine [which takes quite a bit of power to start].

Thanks for the help! I'll come back with photos next week, but it came out pretty nice

Comment

Working...
                            X