Help me decide which PSU to use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide which PSU to use

Ok.. i have convinced myself that i really really want a carputer.. Now i dont really want to have an inverter in my car.. and dont really wanna pay $300AU for the Zantech PSU...

i figured i could do it myself seeing as though i am interested in electronics and have the tools and resources to do it myself also..

now i have found a couple of schematics on the net which also list which components i need to get. There are two sites in particular which i am probably going to follow.

1. http://www.mygizmos.net/frames/hardw...wersupply.html
    this site comes with schematics and so forth to complete.. but will only spit out a 5A current on the 5V and 3.3V range. I dont know if this will be enough to power my system.

2. http://home.concepts-ict.nl/~cybersake/carmp3/
    this site is good. but the PSU once again only spits out 5A @ 5V and 2A @ 12V

Now my comp specs probably are going to be

Gigabyte 7VTXE (KT266A)
    Athlon XP 1700+
    10G seagate 2.5" laptop drive
    Eagle G2 MX400
    Hercules Fortissimo III
    256MB DDR
    Diamond Data 36X CDROM
    D-Link Radio
    GPS of some sort

and thats about all i can think of right now...

so my question is what PSU should i go for to power the stuff i have or should i just go and buy the $300 one... remember it will be 1/6th of the cost if i do it myself...

thanks alot guys i appreciate any help being offered to me

By a OPUS DC-DC 150 watt

It has 10A on +5V and +3,3V, 5A +12V

http://www.opussolutions
    M10000,256 DDR,80 Gb, PCI TV/Radio, D-Link Radio, PCI Audigy 2, Opus 150W, BU-301, Bluetooth, Wifi, Lilliput 7" Touch, Ifree RF Keyborad, USB 2.0 HUB, 2 Amps 600w 4 ch - 620w 2 ch, 6*9" 4-way(rear), 12" Alpine (Sub), 4" 3 way(front), center missing.

Comment

SAVE YOURSELF SOME HEADACHES...BUY AN OPUS!
      BossTone74

Comment

http://www.opussolutions.com
        -
        My cars
        -

Comment

thanks guys ill look more into it...

Comment

It really depends on your budget and how compentant you are at DIY electronics.... You can get an Opus for $200USD (150W w/ shutdown controller, but it is also $300AUD yik!) or try for a Arise/MagicPower for $100USD (120W w/o shutdown controller, but only $150AUD)... Alternatively you can try to hack together a few smaller Cupid-style PSUs (60W each but only like $30USD each) or just DIY the whole way (cheapest, most rewarding, but most difficult).

a) What level of expertise do you have with a soldering iron? Do you have the stomach to put together something yourself?

b) What is your budget? Easiest by far is to just buy an Opus, but it's also the most expensive method.

c) What's wrong with an inverter from your perspective? It's not the best option, but it is by far the cheapest and easiest.

Check out my website www.mymp3car.com/MP3Car/mp3carfaq.asp it has a bunch of information on this including a power supply calculator.
            IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

well i am studying telecommunications engineering and well put together already a AC -DC power supply and a DAC to run into a parallel port... so im not bad..

just finding out which one to do is the question i am really asking..

Comment

You didn't answer all of my questions

a) What's wrong with an inverter in your case?

b) What budget do you have in mind?

c) Why do you need such a powerful computer in your car?
                IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

ok... inverter = wasted energy and expense...

the budget wont be huge.. like under 1kAUD

and the reason why the powerful computer is because i have most of the components already

Comment

opus owns you all! Honestly yes it costs $200 US but its almost plug and play. you can't ask for anything simpler. Maybe one day I'll work on making one of those sproggy psu's...but for now I'm enjoying my carputer with the opus.
                    Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

I use this power supply for my EPIA-M 9000.
                      http://www.idot.com/TheStore/Desktop...t.status=green
                      It's $45 and clips right on to the board. Works like a champ! Doesn't have a great voltage regulator on it though. I think I might have to build one of those. I've heard if the voltage gets above 15V it might not handle it so well...

Comment

Enough clearance to fit in C134?

Originally posted by Taytay
                        I use this power supply for my EPIA-M 9000.
                        http://www.idot.com/TheStore/Desktop...t.status=green
                        It's $45 and clips right on to the board. Works like a champ! Doesn't have a great voltage regulator on it though. I think I might have to build one of those. I've heard if the voltage gets above 15V it might not handle it so well...
                        Would a DC-DC PS that fits this way fit in a C134 case? For those of you that don't know, the 2.5" HD mounts upside down right above the EPIA's ATX connector. It'll be a tight fit, but I think it might fit. If you wouldn't mind taking some measurements (say from the bottom of the mobo to the top of the PS PCB) I would appreciate it, since using that PS would free up room for a few other things in that case.

Thanks,
                        -G
                        "Buckethead's this guy that was raised in a chicken coop and without the bucket on his head, he's helpless"

- "Really? Oh my god..."

Comment

Working...
                        X