Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help - starting up carputer

Ok,

Basicly I did build a propper style carputer but due to my own computer blowing up i needed to borrow some parts from it.

So because of that and a few other reasons:

- Laptop is much!! smaller and is better designed for low power consumption

I decided to just use my laptop as carputer as its definatley powerfull enough (900mhz nearly 400mb RAM etc) and it fits well under passenger seat with all bits (inverter etc)

n e how the question I have is.

How can I get it to start up without actualy oppining the lid and pressing the on/off button!!?? That is the one real big problem I have with it as it just isnt practicle to have to start it up manualy like that all the time.

Is there a way to get it to start up n e other way?? Like with the original carputer i had it could start up when a key on the keyboard was pressed etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

check your bios and see if it has something like return to last operating stage when recovering from a power loss. also set the laptop to remain on when the lid is closed. You would also need set the computer so it doesnt scandisk everytime it starts up. You cant use a shut down controller as there's no shut down input wire on a laptop. Laptop would seem ideal as a CarPC due to its small flat size but it's not. There're too many issues with them.
    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Laptop Power

Already looked in the BIOS there were no usefull options I could change.

The scandisk issue is already done.

This is the only real problem I have got with the laptop - what other issues were you refering to? as long as it is powerfull I would have thought it was prety much ideal.

It is afterall basicly a PC but with smaller parts designed to run from a relitivley low power source.

I suppose if you wantedc to use it lots then disconnecting it from car all the time would get annoying, (although its only 3 wires) but as I dont use mine too much its ok.

I would have liked to use the carputer i originaly built but as I said I had to borrow parts on it. But I would say that also had issues some major issues! One of the main being that the fans in it and in its PSU were so damn noisy! Also it wasent as small as I would have liked it to be.

I had a bit of a search around the forum and saw that somone has got past this problem by simply:

Sticking the power button down and taking the battery out so when the inverter turns on so does the laptop (I already have the inverter wired so that when key is tunred in the ignition it turns on. So that may be a good soloutiuon.

Although any other ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks for the reply!

Chris

Comment

If you were real daring you could solder on a connector to the laptop for a second power button. Then wire up this secondary button anywhere you want. If it is an older laptop it might have pretty big contacts for some easy soldering.
        Or if you don't plan on using it as a laptop for a long time just take off the screen and position the remaining bottom so you have easy access to the button.
        Good luck.

Comment

This is the only real problem I have got with the laptop - what other issues were you refering to? as long as it is powerfull I would have thought it was prety much ideal.

custom building a laptop can be hard as parts arent universal like ATX type PCs, Only other hardware upgrades are USB devices. Most laptops have CPU soldered onto the motherboard. cant relocate buttons as easy as standard PC. little things you want to do can cost you time to hunt down parts as its not as widely avalible.

It is afterall basicly a PC but with smaller parts designed to run from a relitivley low power source.

That's true but so are the Biscuit PCs and SBCs and PC104s Some Mini-ITX boards have low power consumptions.

I suppose if you wantedc to use it lots then disconnecting it from car all the time would get annoying, (although its only 3 wires) but as I dont use mine too much its ok.

power, video and USB docking station?

I would have liked to use the carputer i originaly built but as I said I had to borrow parts on it. But I would say that also had issues some major issues! One of the main being that the fans in it and in its PSU were so damn noisy! Also it wasent as small as I would have liked it to be.

most issues with ATX style CarPC can be solved by replacing the hardware. If you dont like the fans, get a different one.

I had a bit of a search around the forum and saw that somone has got past this problem by simply:Sticking the power button down and taking the battery out so when the inverter turns on so does the laptop (I already have the inverter wired so that when key is tunred in the ignition it turns on. So that may be a good soloutiuon.

Well instead of pointing out why laptops are bad ideas I can suggest an electro-machinical switch like an acuator placed in front of the laptop power button so when you turn the key on, it pushes the power button for you. Unless you want to open up the case and solder wires and relocate the power button.
          NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
          If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Startup

Hi ya,

Just tried the methos i described in my earlier post and unfortunatly as the button on my perticular laptop has to make contact and then will only turn on after contact is lifted it will not work .

I will probably be using the laptop as a laptop sometimes so definatly dont wanna go the take of screen route and as the laptop is positioned under the ack of the front passenger seat n e way would still be a hastle.

The soldering is a good idea and I did think of that but I realy would prefer not to solder anything to the laptop (as it was originaly a gift and I dont want to destroy it or damage it in any way).

So im basicly stuck - I would liek it idealy to turn on when key is turned and that other idea i mentioned would have been perfict for me but as i said wont work because of the type of switch built into it.

Thanks for the reply

Chris

Comment

[humor] why dont you get one of those trays for the steeringwheel and put your laptop there, you can see the screen, access the keyboard, and the power button is right there...of course the cops might not like it [/humor]
              current projects

Comment

Then you should just make a cradle for it and have it slapped on the passenger side of the console if your car has one. Or slap it to the back of the passenger's seat. Use a small rubber coated steel braid wire that is small enough that the laptp can close around it. So the laptop will just hang like a christmas card. Then all you have to do is reach over, open laptop, turn it on and click it shut again.
                If you have a docking station that holds the laptop solid you could just mount it upwards and use the docking station as a cradle. Without getting your hands dirty, these are the best options I can think of. Seems like you need to get a crappier laptop that you aren't as attached to so you can really just integrate it instead of trying to do both laptop and carputer with it.

Comment

what inverter

hey tilezzzzz
                  what inverter are you using to power your laptop??
                  I am looking to do a similar project with a laptop

Comment

Working...
                  X