Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a solution for my power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need a solution for my power

    Right now I am running an M3-ATX. I am happy with it, besides that it seems to create annoying flickering on my display. I tried a better VGA cable already with thick ferrite filters, which helped a lot, but its still noticeable, especially on bright screens. Also tried powering the monitor directly from the cars battery instead over the the M3. No change there, probably because the monitor always gets ground from the PC over the VGA cable (I can completely remove the ground on the power connector and it will still run).

    So now I am thinking about a PSU that has the same features like the M3-ATX:
    - remote signal (not 100% necessary)
    - same power output (can be more of course)
    - automatic start and shutdown of the PC with no more than 5 sec delay
    - separate 5V rail delayed shutdown after the PC is turned off
    - 5V rail shutoff delay settable to least 30 mins. More would be better.
    - able to deliver stable power when starting the engine

    Is there such an PSU? All the ones I looked at didnt have at least one of the features I need.

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Gullimonster; 07-05-2012, 06:26 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Gullimonster View Post
    Right now I am running an M3-ATX. I am happy with it, besides that it seems to create annoying flickering on my display. I tried a better VGA cable already with thick ferrite filters, which helped a lot, but its still noticeable, especially on bright screens. Also tried powering the monitor directly from the cars battery instead over the the M3. No change there, probably because the monitor always gets ground from the PC over the VGA cable (I can completely remove the ground on the power connector and it will still run).

    So now I am thinking about a PSU that has the same features like the M3-ATX:
    - remote signal (not 100% necessary)
    - same power output (can be more of course)
    - automatic start and shutdown of the PC with no more than 5 sec delay
    - separate 5V rail delayed shutdown after the PC is turned off
    - 5V rail shutoff delay settable to least 30 mins. More would be better.
    - able to deliver stable power when starting the engine

    Is there such an PSU? All the ones I looked at didnt have at least one of the features I need.

    Thanks in advance.
    OPUS 360. They are the Cadillac of PSUs.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
      OPUS 360. They are the Cadillac of PSUs.
      I read it has a minimum of 10 secs shutdown and powerup delay. Thats far too much for me.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gullimonster View Post
        I read it has a minimum of 10 secs shutdown and powerup delay. Thats far too much for me.
        It is all adjustable. Startup on mine is right away. Shut down i have set at 7 seconds. Shut down shouldnt be a concern, because your getting out of the car anyways. If you are worried about the system hanging, the OPUS will hard shut off the PC if it looks like its draining the battery.

        The best thing to do is go to http://opussolutions.com and write a email to them. They are very nice and get back to pretty quick. Also check out the user guide. If it does have these limitations, then email them and they can actually make a custom one for you. They are fairly flexible and very helpful.
        Last edited by HiJackZX1; 07-05-2012, 02:42 PM.
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

        1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

        Comment


        • #5
          On their site it says:
          Shut Down Delay Time: 10 sec. (Default), 5min, 10 min, 15min, 30 min, 45min, 60min or 120min (set by Jumper)

          How can you set it to 7 secs?
          And its HUGE! lol
          Does the 250W one have the same functions?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Gullimonster View Post
            On their site it says:
            Shut Down Delay Time: 10 sec. (Default), 5min, 10 min, 15min, 30 min, 45min, 60min or 120min (set by Jumper)

            How can you set it to 7 secs?
            And its HUGE! lol
            Does the 250W one have the same functions?
            LMFAO.... It is huge. Its about the size of half of a mini-itx motherboard. That has always been my issue with them, but they work very well. In fact I am still using the Opus 320, which came before the 360. It had issues and when I emailed them (3 years later), they gave me awesome support and even figured out it was my wire harness. Sent me out a new one (which I bought) and they even sent me out a second one with that order in case I screwed it up.

            I know for timing stuff they can do custom programming. So email them.
            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

            1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
            1x Win 7 PC

            Comment


            • #7
              Alright, Ill send them an email. If they indeed customize that timer, it would be the perfect PSU - aside from the size. :P
              Thanks!
              Last edited by Gullimonster; 07-05-2012, 04:16 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                have u tried changeing your refresh rate on your resolution??

                Comment


                • #9
                  have u tried changeing your refresh rate on your resolution?? some monitors if refresh is too low it will have a line that u can see which looks like a flicker going down the screen. and when does it flicker? on boot up shutdown? when the pc is running?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    +1 for Opus support.

                    Not sure why they're not a bit more popular here. My only complaint about the DCX2.180 is the PSU enclosure is about twice as tall as it really needs to be.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Michae View Post
                      have u tried changeing your refresh rate on your resolution?? some monitors if refresh is too low it will have a line that u can see which looks like a flicker going down the screen. and when does it flicker? on boot up shutdown? when the pc is running?
                      It seems to flickers all the time now. Changing from 71 to 60 Hz doesnt change anything. Other resolution have the same problem.
                      Its not just one line. Its at least 6, probably more.
                      Last edited by Gullimonster; 07-09-2012, 01:28 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I got a question can u remove the screen and connect it to another computer or a laptop and see of u have the same issue ? U say that the screen stays on when the cable is connected which seems odd . Im using a liloput monitor and if i disconnect ground it just shuts off . What screen are u using ? And is your power and ground separated from the psu?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It works fine on other non-car computers. I think it even works fine powered just by an AC adapter.
                          I'm using a CTF700-SHM. I tried it with separate power directly from the battery and powered over the PSU. No difference.
                          However, as I said, I get extra ground over the VGA cable, and I guess thats whats causing it, since the M3-ATX has lots of interference anyway and transmits that over the VGA cables ground. And thats prolly why a better VGA cable made a lot of difference. But its the best cable I found. I could prolly put 2 kg additional ferrite filters around it, but I wouldnt know where to fit them.
                          So I guess the only solution is to get either a new monitor (which is not an option right now) or a different PSU, that isnt as "dirty" as the Mx-ATX series.
                          Last edited by Gullimonster; 07-10-2012, 02:46 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It all depends on the wiring, devices and what not. Remember, we are sticking full computers and out cars and also using power from the car that is considered dirty. Computers do not like dirty. For my install I got rid of most of the noise buy running power down one side, and speakers down the other side. You want to try to limit EMI and cross talk as much as possible.
                            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                            1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                            4X MK808b
                            3x Perixx Touchpads
                            3x 7 inch Screens
                            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                            1x Win 7 PC

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                              It all depends on the wiring, devices and what not. Remember, we are sticking full computers and out cars and also using power from the car that is considered dirty. Computers do not like dirty. For my install I got rid of most of the noise buy running power down one side, and speakers down the other side. You want to try to limit EMI and cross talk as much as possible.
                              Yeah, I know and thats what I did.
                              Anyway I will try some theories with different grounds etc once I get my car back.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X