Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you power two devices from a DC-DC Converter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you power two devices from a DC-DC Converter?

I have purchased a Mini-Box DC-DC-USB and I need to power two devices at 5V. One can be powered by USB, so I believe I can power it by stripping the wires down and connecting them to the converter's power output. The second one is designed to plug into a wall, so I imagine I'll have to cut off the plug at the end and be careful to supply the correct voltage.

So assuming that this is all correct, how would I go about powering the second device? Do I need to hook the devices up in series or parallel? Will adding another device mess with the current in the first one and if so, what do I need to set to ensure proper power levels for both of them? I understand how to set the voltage output on the converter, but I am unable to test it for myself at this moment.

Originally posted by anthony62490 View Post
    I have purchased a Mini-Box DC-DC-USB and I need to power two devices at 5V. One can be powered by USB, so I believe I can power it by stripping the wires down and connecting them to the converter's power output. The second one is designed to plug into a wall, so I imagine I'll have to cut off the plug at the end and be careful to supply the correct voltage.

So assuming that this is all correct, how would I go about powering the second device? Do I need to hook the devices up in series or parallel? Will adding another device mess with the current in the first one and if so, what do I need to set to ensure proper power levels for both of them? I understand how to set the voltage output on the converter, but I am unable to test it for myself at this moment.
    Just splice the cable coming from the DC-DC and solder both wires in parallel. This will work fine provided the amperage coming from the DC-DC is enough to power your two components.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Working...
    X