Inverters 101

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverters 101

Ok ive searched and read many posts concerning inverters, but most of them only skip around the question i want answered. I want to know how much power is commonly needed, if true sine is needed, how long id be able to run my computer (not continuosly, like off and on before it drains my battery, or does the battery recover or w/e), i think thats about it for now. Thanks guys

-J
    Vehicle: 2003 Mistubishi Evolution
    PC Specs: 1gHz Nehemiah M10000
    512mb RAM
    Windows XP Professional
    80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HDD
    UI: MediaEngine 2.1

well, it all depends on your system (you've "read many posts", so you should know that).

I suggest nothing less than a 300w inverter.

Your alternator will recharge your battery as you drive.
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

pretty much answered.. but if you have a weak alternator it might be only made to recharge your car only.. its very unlikely that you'll need to a new alternator but its a slim possibility.
      '98 Explorer Sport
      http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
      AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
      80% done

Comment

True Sine isn't needed, but it would probably elimanate the buzz most inverters create in your audio. I have a tripplite 300w and its very good. When running it into the headunit i had buzz in the audio, but now it goes directly into an amplifier and there is no buzz.

As long as your cars electrical system is in shape you dont' have to worry about your battery unless your running your computer with the cars engine off. Even then it should run for a while before it will kill the battery.
        Project K4RPU73R
        ----------------------
        Via Epia-M 9000
        256MB PC2100
        40GB IBM Travelstar
        7" Xenarc
        DeLorme Earthmate GPS

Comment

Alright, I have a couple questions. I am 16 so I don't know much about cars or car batteries. I am getting an '89 Jeep Cherokee. It only has a stereo and no CD player. I was going to buy one until I came across people talking about building carmp3 players. I have an old Pentium sitting under my computer that has been begging to be put to use. I figure it will be perfect and save me money. My first question is about the car battery. From what I have read in this post, you are saying that the alternator recharges the car battery meaning as long as you never drain the battery completely it will work? Is this correct. So does this mean that if I get one of the Opus Solutions DC-DC power supplies that cuts off when the battery starts to get low then I should be okay? Can someone explain to me the basics of the car battery and what I need to worry about if I have this all wrong? Thanks.

Edit: I just saw the price of the Opus DC/DC PSU and there is noway that I am going to pay $180 for a PSU.

Comment

You guys answered exactly how i wanted, thanks. Just in case you guys still wanted to know, i have a car thats 1 month old, so all the electrical alternator issues i think im good on, and the computer i might be using a very old pentium 100some odd mhz...yea really crappy, but then turning to a celeron 800mhz dvdrom. yea yea, but if 300w will get me most anywhere with anything (well not anything) then im all set, thanks again.

-J

-Wow was that a ramble fest...sry bout that
            Vehicle: 2003 Mistubishi Evolution
            PC Specs: 1gHz Nehemiah M10000
            512mb RAM
            Windows XP Professional
            80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HDD
            UI: MediaEngine 2.1

Comment

Working...
            X