Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPROGGY PSUs

What is a sproggy psu?

I searched ........pages of threads about sproggies but nothing that flat out says it. If someone could just even put a link to help me out, that would be good.

I recently won this............DC-DC PSU - SPROGGY - LOOK , so now i need to know what i need to complete this sproggy and what they consist of etc. THANKS
    92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Linked right off the page you posted:

http://www.roshanindustries.com/carmp3/shop.htm

Rob
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

yeah i got that, but what kind of parts will i need and what will the sproggy 2.8 do to my pw-60? what features does the sproggy have
      92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

Comment

Copied from the page linked:

Parts NOT INCLUDED

MAX 787 (MAXIM)
        MAX 788 (MAXIM)
        T6 TRANSFORMER (COILCRAFT, RENCO, WILCO)
        LM2587-12 (NATIONAL)
        47UF / 5AMPS INDUCTOR (COILCRAFT, RENCO, WILCO)
        10UF / 5AMPS INDUCTOR (COILCRAFT, RENCO, WILCO)

Don't know what you mean by "what will the sproggy do to my pw-60". How about "replace it - they do roughly the same job".

Another link that might be useful:

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/sproggy/

Rob

Comment

I got that, ok well i bought this psu before doing research on sproggies and what not, cause i seen it on eBay and NEEDED a DC-DC psu. So now I have the DC-DC psu and the shutdown controller, thats all I needed..........i think. What is the sproggy for? is it just another dc-dc psu or an add on for that other dc-dc psu? Will this setup also prevent from starting up during cranking or is that Just the opus that does that?

thanks Rob!

Comment

Yep, the sproggy is just another dc-dc power supply. It uses a switched regulator for the 12v so in theory it should avoid a reboot during cranking (claims it can operate down to 8v).

As dc-dc supplies go it is not that high powered, especially on the 12v line if you are running a number of drives.

Afaik, there is no shutdown controller built into the sproggy - the chip at the end is for the power good signal.

Rob

Comment

http://web.archive.org/web/200102021...r.com/psu.html also has some good info, it is rather old however.
              My Setup

Comment

you over payed by a lot check this out

http://www.idot.com/TheStore/Desktop...t.status=green

Comment

guitar333
                  I highly recommend trying to use the sproggy instead of the PW60. The problem with the PW60 is that it only supplies 1A for the 12V supply and most hard drives & CD ROM's require ~1.5amps peak. Don't be surprised if your computer starts hiccuping when powering both a CD ROM and hard drie with the PW60. I just ordered a sproggy 2.8 and I'll let you know how it works out.

The sproggy supplies much more power at all voltages. To order the missing parts for the sproggy go to the sites listed below and request samples

www.maxim-ic.com (max787,max788)
                  www.coilcraft.com (T6 transformer, 10uH & 47uH inductors)
                  My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

Working...
                  X