Grounding Invertors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding Invertors

My invertor is causing some noise and before I go out and buy a ground loop isolator, I figure I'll use some of the free tricks...

I want to ground the invertor, as I've read to do in the forums, but no one has ever actually said HOW to ground the invertor. Should I just ground the metal chassis of the invertor directly to the car or is there something in the invertor I should run the ground to? Do I just use the plug?

-Brad
    83 mp320i 285k
    -Brad
    83 mp320i
    99 mp323i
    _________

7" Lilliput w/Touch, 150 W Opus, 2.4ghz P4 533fsb, 512 DDR 333mhz, GPS, WiFi Inet, 40g Maxtor 7200rpm, Laptop DVD/CD-RW w/USB2.0 Bridge, WinXP Pro.

I found that the invertor itself didn't need grounding, but grounding the ATX PSU casing took care of all noise

In fact, when I hooked up my GLI, it did something which sent loads of power through my amp and totally fried one of my JBL 6x9's, and seriously wounded the other

Garry
    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

ground the metal chassis of the invertor directly
      -
      My cars
      -

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
        I found that the invertor itself didn't need grounding, but grounding the ATX PSU casing took care of all noise

In fact, when I hooked up my GLI, it did something which sent loads of power through my amp and totally fried one of my JBL 6x9's, and seriously wounded the other

Garry
        how did that happen? Wouldn't a fuse have protected any "big surge" of power from going through the amp in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Parsec
          how did that happen? Wouldn't a fuse have protected any "big surge" of power from going through the amp in the first place?
          It was as soon as i connected the RCA leads, i don't know exactly what/why/how, but all I know is that there was a VERY loud noise come from the speakers, and i very quickly reached for the GLI and unplugged it. It wasn't power as in 12v, but as in something coming through the RCA leads, but I don't know what caused it to do that, but ever since i've been very reluctant to plug in my GLI, and have just grounded everything to the same place and no inteference.

Kinda a good job i didn't pay for the speakers, but still annoying that they had blown
          www.aimee.cc

Comment

So I hooked up a ground from the car to the metal chassis of my invertor.... nothing happened.

So I next hooked it up to the ground wire on the outlet on the adapter (where I'm plugging my laptop in).. that makes the little red light come on on the invertor and it shuts it off.

So I traced the ground wire that comes from the cig-adapter to the invertor and grounded it there and nothing happens. No sparks .. no "zzzzz!" noise ... no nothing.

And yes, I'm doing this while the invertor is running. I'm looking to shock myself something fierce.

What else can I do?

-brad
            83 mp320i 285k
            -Brad
            83 mp320i
            99 mp323i
            _________

7" Lilliput w/Touch, 150 W Opus, 2.4ghz P4 533fsb, 512 DDR 333mhz, GPS, WiFi Inet, 40g Maxtor 7200rpm, Laptop DVD/CD-RW w/USB2.0 Bridge, WinXP Pro.

Comment

ground your power supply
              [H]4 Life
              My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
              It will be done sometime in the next generation.
              I'm a lesbian too.
              I am for hire!

Comment

Umm .. the invertor IS the power supply. Or are talking about the Power Supply thingy for my laptop? .. that I am plugging into the invertor?

Thanks!

-Brad
                83 mp320i 285k
                -Brad
                83 mp320i
                99 mp323i
                _________

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't see it was a laptop, I was assuming an atx supply
                  [H]4 Life
                  My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                  It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                  I'm a lesbian too.
                  I am for hire!

Comment

let me change my post; your inverter is already grounded through the negative wire, right? the next step is grounding your psu case and motherboard (tray). People say that you should have one single groundpiont, I dont understand why, but I also did and it works for me.
                    -
                    My cars
                    -

Comment

This is a Laptop .. please remember that -- I don't know how the hell I'd ground the motheboard since the entire thing is in a plastic case..

-Brad
                      83 mp320i 285k
                      -Brad
                      83 mp320i
                      99 mp323i
                      _________

Comment

I would try an alternator whine filter in the
                        inverter's supply leads

Comment

Get one of THESE for $10 at Rat Shack and it will remove ALL of the noise. I had a hell of a time removing noise and this did the trick for me...

BTW, do not get the $4.99 version of this because it is only has a built-in 15db noise filter as oposed to the 40db noise filter in the one listed above.

Hope this helps...
                          Aura MR62 (F and R)
                          My Current MP3s
                          IamDefiler.com

Comment

I've got an ATX PSU running off my inverter. Do I ground it to car chassis or what? Ummm, don't flame. I'm a n00b at this ****.
                            Illusion: 2.4GHZ P4 @ 3.145GHZ | Gigabyte SINXP1394 | 256meg XMS3500 | SuperGrace 9500Pro

PajeroPuter: Epia 5000 | 512meg PC-133 RAM | 30gig 5,400rpm HDD | 100w PSU & inverter | 7.5" Super LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai
                              I've got an ATX PSU running off my inverter. Do I ground it to car chassis or what? Ummm, don't flame. I'm a n00b at this ****.
                              That's what I did, removed all the buzzing/whining

Garry
                              www.aimee.cc

Comment

Working...
                              X