PW-60 with Inverter or Adaptor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PW-60 with Inverter or Adaptor

I purchased a PW-60 DC-DC converter from mini-box.com yesterday. As most of you know, iTuner is supposed to have a voltage regulator/shutdown tool for the PW-60 in a matter of 3-4 weeks. (But I noticed they announced that in MAY, so..)

In the meantime, I wanted to use this system in my vehicle, and the PW-60 expects a regulated 12V voltage. Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to make my own voltage regulator. So as a desperate measure, I'm considering hooking the PW-60 to the AC adaptor and using a <gasp> inverter!

I found a nice 90W inverter at Fry's for only $30. It has spike protection, shutoff protection at low incoming voltage, sine wave, and runs at only <0.1A when not in use.

Problem is, I have a Mini-ITX system, and even when it is shutdown, it will probably still consume power. (Right?) So question #1, does that mean that the inverter will not detect power off and still consume the same amount of power, or can it see that lower amount of power is being drawn and decrease the power it needs?

Second question, is the 90W inverter safe to use with my 60W system? Makes sense to me, but the guy at Fry's told me I should get a 500W inverter! Problem is, they have a fan, and they cost a LOT more. (And they don't even detect power off, you need to switch them off manually)

As a second choice, I'm also looking at a simple DC car adaptor. It regulates car voltage at 12V. Very nice. (Posted in another thread by maelstrom)

http://www.idot.com/TheStore/Desktop...673&#Configure

This would be PERFECT for the time being, except I don't fully understand how much power this thing would consume when my Mini-ITX system is turned off. It looks just like a home adaptor. Are devices like this typically smart of enough to draw less power when not in use?

Would it be safe to leave either of these plugged into my 12V car outlet (which is ALWAYS on) Or should I keeping unplugging it until iTuner releases their regulator?

Thanks.
    Logan

Your first question...It will still consume power. (this has been discussed many times before). Doesn't the inverter have a on/off switch? If it doesn't, I would've gone with the first wattage one that came with one. Even when the EPIA mobos are shut down they still power the USB ports so it's drawing more current than one might expect.

Second question...yes, a 90 would be enough to power the PSU but I don't know what kind of stress that would put on the inverter. The guy at fry's is an idiot for saying what he said if you gave him all the info. If you did get that 500W inverter, it would still only deliver the amount of power the device needed. IE. i have a 300W inverter that is powering a 150W PSU. It will only draw 150W but I think the stress level on the inverter is low (50%) compared to yours which is 66%. Just my 2 cents.

I don't know what the wattage is on that adaptor from iDot but Targus also makes them up to 120W for the same type of aplication.

On a closing note...I see this is your first post. I would recomend using the search function on the forum before asking a question.

HTH.
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

Comment

OK, here's the deal, I live 20 minutes away from ituner so when I bought my powersupply I actually went up there and talked to the guys. They are really cool, although the designer wasn't there the other people answered quite a bit of my questions. I felt comfortably enough after talking to them to just hook up the power supply straight to my car.

The thing with the power supply is it doesn't regulate 12volts so you can't use any 12volt stuff with it. This isn't a problem if you stick with the epia and laptop harddrives. I hooked my power supply straight to the 12volt of my car and it has behaved perfectly. No problems at all. I do need to get a 12 volt regulator because I have engine noise coming in from the alternator I believe. So, ditch the invertor and just run it straight, you'l be happy you did.

Comment

Originally posted by adamis
        So, ditch the invertor and just run it straight, you'l be happy you did.
        This is a bold statement for someone of which you don't know what hardware he's using...
        Aura MR62 (F and R)
        My Current MP3s
        IamDefiler.com

Comment

I just happen to have an EPIA-5000 and laptop drive.
          I'm surprised they said hooking it to an unregulated source wouldn't cause problems though. (Especially for the 12V rail) Any idea how much power this motherboard consumes when it's shutdown? Could it be low enough to keep it plugged in all the time?

Defiler, I see you made 837 posts. You must be sick and tired of seeing the same damn questions. Sorry. I'm new. I did spend almost 3 days reading and searching mp3car.com. I could not find these answers. (Except Mini-ITX not shutting off, but that really wasn't the question) There are a ton of threads. It's great, though someone's bound to ask the same question even after searching I guess. I'll try to search better next time.

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan
            I just happen to have an EPIA-5000 and laptop drive.
            I'm surprised they said hooking it to an unregulated source wouldn't cause problems though. (Especially for the 12V rail) Any idea how much power this motherboard consumes when it's shutdown? Could it be low enough to keep it plugged in all the time?

Defiler, I see you made 837 posts. You must be sick and tired of seeing the same damn questions. Sorry. I'm new. I did spend almost 3 days reading and searching mp3car.com. I could not find these answers. (Except Mini-ITX not shutting off, but that really wasn't the question) There are a ton of threads. It's great, though someone's bound to ask the same question even after searching I guess. I'll try to search better next time.

Thanks for the info guys.
            No problem. I know it's hard to know what words to use while searching sometimes. That's why I tried to be polite and point you in the right direction.
            Aura MR62 (F and R)
            My Current MP3s
            IamDefiler.com

Comment

that idot adapter is only gonna give you 3.5 A

$49 pw-60 + $30 inverter + $52 adapter = $131

pretty close to price of opus 90watter

i feel for ya...made the same mistakes
              bite the bullet and get the opus and your troubles will be over

Comment

I just came across iTuner's ITPS documentation. Don't know if it's worth mentioning, but they have tables showing voltage for my configuration.

In the case of using an EPIA-5000 motherboard with a laptop drive, the 12V rail is not even used! (No fans, no 3.5" drives attached, no P4) Everything seems to be on 5V and 3.3V rails.

There is also some power consumption charts. They show power for playing DVD's, MP3's, and idle state. Unfortunately no power consumption for stand-by and shutdown state.

Are the USB ports on EPIA motherboard really powered at shutdown? Why is that? I know the motherboard needs power to trace wake-on events, but USB? So then, 5W?

btw, I didn't buy the 500W inverter of course. And yeah, he must have been highly misinformed, because I told him my system was only 60W. He kept saying the 90W inverter would overheat. But with my particular configuration, I didn't think so.

Any more $0.02 appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
                  No problem. I know it's hard to know what words to use while searching sometimes. That's why I tried to be polite and point you in the right direction.
                  You're too kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Retuprac
                    that idot adapter is only gonna give you 3.5 A

$49 pw-60 + $30 inverter + $52 adapter = $131

pretty close to price of opus 90watter

i feel for ya...made the same mistakes
                    bite the bullet and get the opus and your troubles will be over
                    Hey wait a second. So far I haven't had any problems yet. Of course I haven't plugged it into the car yet either, but..

And actually if I got the inverter I wouldn't get the adapter!

The Opus is definitely nice, though it has some disadvantages. Price, size, and does the 90W rendition have a fan? (I can only seem to find their 150W) iTuner is going to have their shutdown regulator for the PW-60 eventually. Whenever that is, it should do just nicely.

But for time being, it sounds like it will work with the inverter. If not, ok, I'll get the Opus.

These icons are wild.

Comment

Yeah, err, my mistake. I should have stated more clearly that if you stick with non 12volt devices you shouldn't have a problem but it doesn't mean you won't or can't. Like all things there is always that possibility.

I have been using the power supply for almost 4 months now, the only problem I have is trying to filter what I believe is alternator noise coming through the power supply. Also, one last thing is this power supply doesn't like voltage drops very much. I have to hibernate the computer before I can restart my car say after pumping gas. It's not the greatest but I'm hoping to fix that by just getting a large cap.

Finally this powersupply works great if you are trying to do a minimal install. In my case I shoehorned everything into a double din dash and this power supply is just what I needed to do it.

Comment

i originally had a pw-70a which supplies 100+ watts
                        and i hooked to a 120w inverter ( which really defeats the whole purpose but i was skeeerd to fry anything )
                        but inverters can introduce noise as mine did, and i have plugged it straight in which worked ok but it definatly drops out at around 10 volts. it also got noise as adamis stated . and i still had my xenarc on the inverter as i heard of people frying them on straight car juice so untill ituner comes out with their controller (which i got tired of waiting for) its a mickey mouse setup

Comment

Working...
                        X