someone make me a tank circuit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• someone make me a tank circuit?

i am as thick as a whale omlette when it comes to this stuff...

i got my shutdown controller but want the kit to stay on when it cranks...

someone make me a tank circuit for my cubid 2699r/nehemiah setup?

For the appropriate fee of course ;-)

g

two components, connected inline with your power supply cable, does it really sound that hard?
    -
    My cars
    -

Comment

What the hell - I said it once, here I go again -

its my "Help an old lady across the street" version of the mp3car project :

If anyone needs some small stuff soldered, and agrees to pay for shipping back and forth, Im happy to do it.

If I get 100 e-mails asking me to assembel a sproggy - you ait gona hear back from me, but a tank citcuit, anything with a couple relays, I will even go as far as a character LCD, (although I think most sell theses with usb or 9pin DB9 already)

You pay for parts, shipping, and swear not to email me every 5 to 10 minutes to ask if its done.
      Oh, and if you break / blow something up - ITS NOT MY FAULT!
      Gizmo-
      Techonlogy on Wheels
      http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

It's less work to find the threads about tank circuits, get the parts and assemble than mail them to you
        -
        My cars
        -

Comment

Originally posted by jol
          two components, connected inline with your power supply cable, does it really sound that hard?

Excuse my asking but what all is needed for a tank circuit ?

and will it maintain voltage during start up???

have a nice day
          ALIBABA - I30 99
          Nemiah M10000, C134
          DVD, 40Gig, 256MB DDR
          GPS, OBD 2, Reverse Cam
          Mute on stereo w I300 car kit
          Liliput 7in w usb touch screen
          Direct connect with BOSE-CD changer

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...nk+circuit+cap
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...t=tank+circuit
            -
            My cars
            -

Comment

They... they, whos they - WE named it a tank circuit BECAUSE it keeps the computer from tanking during ignition - THATS ALL IT DOES, thats its sole purpose in life.

A Tank circuit is one relay, and a battery. the relay is triggered by the igition line, and the circuit needs to keep the battery charged when not in use - thats about it. My schematic shows an inverter as the output, but that can be anything, inverter, opus, keypower , whatever See diagram.
              Gizmo-
              Techonlogy on Wheels
              http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

You disagree if I tell you that a tank circuit is a cap and a diode?
                -
                My cars
                -

Comment

gizmomkr: I never thought of using a relay. I'm also using a small lead acid battery for my tank circuit, but I was going to use a diode. I think your solution is better, since there is no voltage drop across a relay (unlike a diode).

I'm still unsure about how it works tho (I find it hard to understand circuit diagrams). Does the AUX battery only get connnected to the cars electrical system when the engine is running (to charge the battery)?

Does the system run off the AUX battery the rest of the time?
                  My Setup

Comment

Guys dont make things complicated ....

Its very very simple just two parts A Diode MBR 3045 or MBR 6045 and a 22000uf / 25v cap .

diode stop the return flow of the current when cranking and the caps supplys the power till the car is running ...

So Simple

-------/<(diode)------- + (caps+) --------------+12vout to inverter or DC_DC

------------------------( cap - )---------------- ve to inverter or DC_DC

NOTE:~

I feel the relay will not be a good solution. What i can make out is when you crank the relay jumps to AUX battery and then back to normal. So say you have a running system and the relay jumps that split second jump CAN CAUSE MAJOR HARM think about it!

Mastero

Comment

Mastero: I totally for got about that! For a short time, a replay doesn't allow any current to pass... Admittedly, a capacitor or something could fix this, but I need to use a relay. (since the only places that sell MBR3045's or MBR6045's in the uk need you to open a business account, plus delivery is almost $10)

I already have a spare relay (the same one as used in the sproggy... 20 amps is it?), and a small 12v 1.5AH lead acid battery.

What if I had the small battery always wired to the mp3player, but i had the relay switch the connection to the cars electrical system, which made the connection when the engine is running, to charge the small battery. This way, there would always be 12v going to the mp3player. This should work, shouldn`t it?
                      My Setup

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHunt79
                        but I need to use a relay. (since the only places that sell MBR3045's or MBR6045's in the uk need you to open a business account, plus delivery is almost $10)
                        http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/sea...&QText=mbr3045

You don't need a business account to use Farnell. You can pay cash or card at the counter (admittedly its in Leeds so easier for me than you but I would assume you can order over the phone too.

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                        CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

GingerPrince: Thanks for the link... It's a shame they don't have a branch further south, but they do do online ordering... But delivery is > 5 (which seems a little steep on a 1.45 item).

I'm gonna see if I can get it going with a relay first, and if it doesn't work out, I'll order the diode.
                          My Setup

Comment

Mastro is correct.

1) there will be a short delay (in ms) after the NC opens and NO connects

2) there will also be a spike in voltage

3)Also the noise associated with the switching, may be transmitted.

The only other way is to find a relay which will first make the NO and then break the NC

ALIBABA
                            ALIBABA - I30 99
                            Nemiah M10000, C134
                            DVD, 40Gig, 256MB DDR
                            GPS, OBD 2, Reverse Cam

Comment

Originally posted by Mastero
                              Guys dont make things complicated ....

Its very very simple just two parts A Diode MBR 3045 or MBR 6045 and a 22000uf / 25v cap .

diode stop the return flow of the current when cranking and the caps supplys the power till the car is running ...

So Simple

-------/<(diode)------- + (caps+) --------------+12vout to inverter or DC_DC

------------------------( cap - )---------------- ve to inverter or DC_DC

NOTE:~

I feel the relay will not be a good solution. What i can make out is when you crank the relay jumps to AUX battery and then back to normal. So say you have a running system and the relay jumps that split second jump CAN CAUSE MAJOR HARM think about it!

Mastero

Will this also condition the power ie act as a semi regulator?
                              ALIBABA - I30 99
                              Nemiah M10000, C134
                              DVD, 40Gig, 256MB DDR
                              GPS, OBD 2, Reverse Cam

Comment

Working...
                              X