• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is power consumption of...

typical PCs...
    Say P4 2.4 system, Athlon XP 1700+, M10000
    when it goes under standby mode?
    I would think it would be better method of getting system ready up in short time (practically instantly) but worried about possible battery drain.
    TIA.

no one knows?
    I'd like to know this too...
    Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

When I measured my Epia's power consumption on standby, it drew about 500ma directly from the purple +5v wire from the power supply.
      My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
      Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

I think you would be better off using Hibernation mode (if you can). It writes the info from your ram to the hardrive and shuts off (takes about 5-10 seconds). Then when you power back on it takes the saved ram info and puts it back into memory so it is exactly where you "left off" when you put it into hibernation. I like it better than Standby, and it doesn't draw any more power than having the computer off!

Comment

I agree with speedfreak ... the amount of extra time needed to bring the pc out of hibernate rather than standby is minimal ... and hibernate takes the same amount of power as when the pc is turned off. standby requires a significantly larger amount of power.
          My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

I wouldn't call it minimal. My system takes a good minute to come out of hibernate, and 7-10 secconds to come out of suspend.

true, hibernate uses no power. there's a lot to be said for this.

draw on a 'standard system'? no idear. different systems behave different ways in suspend... some keep all of the fans running (eats power), other's seem like their off save for a blinking light (in my limited experience).

My mini ITX system drew under 3amps/hour. my dual processor AMD system draws 20amps/hour

(these numbers based on monitored UPS statistics)
            car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Originally posted by robiewp
              I wouldn't call it minimal. My system takes a good minute to come out of hibernate, and 7-10 secconds to come out of suspend.
              looks like someone did some editing ... the e-mail I got said "my @$$ it's minimal..."

anyway, a one minute boot from hibernate is pretty long ... and it's probably a cause of something on your system, not hibernate itself. for me a normal boot takes about 45 seconds ... booting from hibernate takes about 20 seconds.

do you have quick post enabled in bios?
              My JeepPC Install

Comment

Originally posted by shakes
                looks like someone did some editing ... the e-mail I got said "my @$$ it's minimal..."
                I do that a lot (if it's before someone's responded to the content of the post). Sometimes I forget that there's a lot of room for offense when it's just been typed... so I proof read my post (after i've posted ) and then quickly editing it upon realizing what I typed.

anyway, a one minute boot from hibernate is pretty long ... and it's probably a cause of something on your system, not hibernate itself. for me a normal boot takes about 45 seconds ... booting from hibernate takes about 20 seconds.

do you have quick post enabled in bios?
                How much ram do you have in your system? i'm running with 512, and a 5400 rpm drive, both which could have something to do with it. I've also got devices up the wazoo. None the less, my normal boot time is very close to my hibernate-resume time.

I do have quick boot enabled in bios.

I agree with speedfreak ... the amount of extra time needed to bring the pc out of hibernate rather than standby is minimal
                I wouldn't call a difference of 1/2 to 1/3 the time minimal... though i guess we're really talking about a difference of 10-13 secconds (assuming our numbers were accurate). For me it's the difference between having the car computer rearing to go by the time my seatbelt's on, or by the time I'm down my 1000 foot driveway, or in the case of returning from say, the grocerry store, by the time i find myself ingulfed in traffic. There's nothing wrong with waiting for boot, I just find it an inconvenience.

maybe the solution is to tie the power on/off for the computer into one of the AUX connections on my remote start/alarm.....

Comment

Originally posted by robiewp
                  How much ram do you have in your system? i'm running with 512, and a 5400 rpm drive, both which could have something to do with it. I've also got devices up the wazoo. None the less, my normal boot time is very close to my hibernate-resume time.
                  I have 256 Megs of RAM ... and a *think* a 4200 rpm drive. Your extra memory could indeed be part of the problem.

If you've had your install going for a while that could also be it ... i don't care what anybody says ... windows speed degrades over time even if nothing changes. I personally think it's a conspiracy M$ has with intel to make people think their computers are getting slower and therefore will go buy new PCs every 3-5 years.

maybe the solution is to tie the power on/off for the computer into one of the AUX connections on my remote start/alarm.....
                  For you that'd be a great option. Course you want to make sure it also works if you start your car regularly.
                  My JeepPC Install

Comment

How stable is the PC when it come out of standby?

I noticed most of the time PC crashes when woken up from standby, sometimes it wont even wake up at all.

Comment

So is it a mistake to buy more ram !? I bought a Gig for my M10000 cause I thought I'd do it a favor..
                      If you're not occuping all that ram, then it shouldn't write a gig to the drive, right ?
                      Home Page
                      New '93 R1
                      http://member.newsguy.com/~gfxfctry/...Signiature.jpg

Comment

If you're not occuping all that ram, then it shouldn't write a gig to the drive, right ?

As far as I know it write everything to your HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by shakes
                          If you've had your install going for a while that could also be it ... i don't care what anybody says ... windows speed degrades over time even if nothing changes. I personally think it's a conspiracy M$ has with intel to make people think their computers are getting slower and therefore will go buy new PCs every 3-5 years.
                          I don't know about the conspiracy part, but I've observed the same thing. I have norton ghost images of my system in various states, and when it starts to runs like molasis I go back to a fresh image.

For you that'd be a great option. Course you want to make sure it also works if you start your car regularly.
                          but i always remote start my car

it's actually an additional button on the remote with a * on it. Since it would jsut be in parallel with the rest of the on switches, it wouldn't affect normal operations.

Comment

Working...
                          X