Power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power

I'm fed up now with having to power off if I want to start the car, anyone seen a solution I can just hand my credit card over for that is designed for Mini-ITX ?

Or someone tell me the diode I need to connect a small battery to the main car battery and I will nip to Maplins now, plus tell me that I will not kill myself or set fire to the car.

TIA

i take it your using an inverter? if so search for "tank circuit"
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

hi,

the cheepest way will be to use a 12 volt lead acid battery 4-7 amps.

wire it to the accessory point that a way when you start the main battery will be disconnected and you will not need any thing else ( ie doide) etc.

However you will need a regulator as a car generally gives out 13 to 15 volts which may give you problems.

I am about to announce a pre assembeled regulator. Let me know if you need one.....

ALIBABA
      ALIBABA - I30 99
      Nemiah M10000, C134
      DVD, 40Gig, 256MB DDR
      GPS, OBD 2, Reverse Cam
      Mute on stereo w I300 car kit
      Liliput 7in w usb touch screen
      Direct connect with BOSE-CD changer

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
        i take it your using an inverter? if so search for "tank circuit"
        Nope.

Oddly the Mini-ITX has not blown up in the last year, running via one of those
        Cig lighter adapter things that can be set to various voltages. Picked on up in USA that "claims" 2A at 12v.

Comment

Originally posted by skassama
          hi,

the cheepest way will be to use a 12 volt lead acid battery 4-7 amps.
          Check - I have a battery ready to play with.

wire it to the accessory point that a way when you start the main battery will be disconnected and you will not need any thing else ( ie doide) etc.
          Oppps, you lost me there. Where should the 12v supply for the Mini-ITX come from, switching between batteries would for sure cause the PC to power off.

However you will need a regulator as a car generally gives out 13 to 15 volts which may give you problems.
          I don't appear to have that problem.

Comment

No one is talking about switching batteries.....your small battery will be connected all the time

Wiring shoud be as follows

cig lighter point to battery to 12 volt to cig lighter adapter (and that is a regulator).

This willwork for most Asian cars .. if you have a n american brand car( ie no switching off acc point during cranking) or if your accessory is hard wired to the battery then use a accessory point which swithes off during cranking....
            ALIBABA - I30 99
            Nemiah M10000, C134
            DVD, 40Gig, 256MB DDR
            GPS, OBD 2, Reverse Cam

Comment

Originally posted by skassama
              No one is talking about switching batteries.....your small battery will be connected all the time

Wiring shoud be as follows

cig lighter point to battery to 12 volt to cig lighter adapter (and that is a regulator).

This willwork for most Asian cars .. if you have a n american brand car( ie no switching off acc point during cranking) or if your accessory is hard wired to the battery then use a accessory point which swithes off during cranking....
              Ahhhh, thanks for explaining, I will see if I can find a 12v that switches off during starting - thanks.

Comment

welcome and life is too precious a gift and so are all the gifts of this world...... enjoy themmmmm
                ALIBABA - I30 99
                Nemiah M10000, C134
                DVD, 40Gig, 256MB DDR
                GPS, OBD 2, Reverse Cam

Comment

Please try to use more informative thread names, like "itx dc-dc psu wanted"
                  -
                  My cars
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by jol
                    Please try to use more informative thread names, like "itx dc-dc psu wanted"

Noted

Comment

A Big Diode

I would just use a big diode. You can get ones at radio shack that rated for 6 amps that should work fine: Part Number 276-1661

You could also use the a bridge rectifier that contains 4 power diodes, but only do that if you cant find the other.

--Tom
                      ME-6000, Lilliput 7" vga + touch, generic GPS, RedHat 9, custom mapping software.

Comment

I think the Opus 90W PSU works with mini itx.
                        -TJ
                        Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
                        CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
                        Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

Working...
                        X