PSU for the VIA M10000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU for the VIA M10000

I understand that the PSU in the Casetronic C134 isnīt that good.
    Could this be somthing to use with this case???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3670

Originally posted by SpeedyGT
    I understand that the PSU in the Casetronic C134 isnīt that good.
    Could this be somthing to use with this case???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3670

I think it is the same basic thing, the main problem with either of these is that the 12v line is not regulated, (you can do a for more info on that) To use either or, you need a regulated 12v input
    My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
    Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

Originally posted by MeanGT
      I think it is the same basic thing, the main problem with either of these is that the 12v line is not regulated, (you can do a for more info on that) To use either or, you need a regulated 12v input
      That power supply is exactly the same as the long skinny one. They have all the same parts and no regulation on the 12 volts.

Jeff
      MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
      www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by zootjeff
        That power supply is exactly the same as the long skinny one. They have all the same parts and no regulation on the 12 volts.
        Jeff
        In this thread:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17518
        Adamis claims that the EPIA MB's don't use the 12v line, and so it doesn't need to be that regulated. He didn't respond to my request for his source (as I have never heard this). Curious if any of ya'll had heard this either?

- Taylor

Comment

That guy says in his add that you can hook it up straight to your car's 12 volt system, is that not true? And what do you mean it's the same as the one that comes w/ the casetronic case? That one is 60watts, and this one on ebay is 120watts...is that guy on ebay lying?

Comment

Originally posted by amrit50
            That guy says in his add that you can hook it up straight to your car's 12 volt system, is that not true? And what do you mean it's the same as the one that comes w/ the casetronic case? That one is 60watts, and this one on ebay is 120watts...is that guy on ebay lying?
            The mod for a 120 watt power supply from the 60 watt is just a simple transistor swap. They take out the 1.5 amp transistor and put in a 4 amp one. You still have to get a 12 volt input that is will supply 120 watts. Yes you can hook it to your car, but the output on the 12 volt rail will be from 10 to 15 volts depending on what the car is doing.
            MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
            www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Guess I've been quoted

I did claim that the EPIA does not use 12v but I took that from someone else who said it on these boards if I recall. Somebody broke down the devices that would use the 12v rail and the only thing the EPIA has that might use this is the is the serial and parrel ports but even those I'm not sure about.

I used this motherboard with the PW-70 for almost 3 months without any ill effects. I've measured my voltage at 13.5 volts with engine running to.

Now, just because I got away with it doesn't gurante it is going to work for you. But as I recall and maybe someone should do some investigation in this, you only need a regulated 12v rail with the Epia if you are using a regular harddrive. I use a laptop harddisk which is also 5 volts.

I'm just saying I've done it and it worked but I'm not guranteing it's going to work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by adamis
                I'm just saying I've done it and it worked but I'm not guranteing it's going to work for you.
                Cool - thanks for the elaboration adamis. It makes some sense. I'm using a laptop HD, so that doesn't use the 12. What about the MB/chip itself I wonder? I don't know enough about them to know what they use, but 12V would seem like a lot. I have run my board for a few minutes, and I have over 14V when the car is on. I'm still waiting for the combo voltage regulator/shutdown controller from mini-box, but maybe I'm safe until that comes in...

Cheers,

Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Taytay
                  I'm still waiting for the combo voltage regulator/shutdown controller from mini-box,

Which one is that? Link please?

Comment

Originally posted by none
                    Which one is that? Link please?
                    In the FAQ ( http://www.mini-box.com/power-faq.htm ), it says:
                    NOTE: This portion of the FAQ was updatedin July 2003. By Aug-Sept 2003,
                    we will have a car module that will connect to your PW-60 OR PW-70. This
                    module will be able to sense ignition and shut-off/on your PC in a
                    safe manner and -provide further voltage regulation. Please check our website, www.mini-box.com soon.

I emailed him 2 weeks ago, and he said to check back in 2 weeks. So it doesn't look good!

Comment

May be this will help http://www.mini-box.com/power.pdf
                      There is a full description of their module (pages 13-21).

Best regards, Nick.

Comment

Working...
                      X