Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OPUS PROBLEMS: Please post here if your Opus may have damaged your motherboard.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPUS PROBLEMS: Please post here if your Opus may have damaged your motherboard.

People With possible defective 90W OPUS

Bypo - EPIA M1000
    Adamis - EPIA M9000
    Carbuser - ??
    Guitar333 - EPIA 800, 90W Purchased mid Sept
    Dieter - EPIA 800, 90W August
    Yellena - EPIA 800, 90W August
    Gizmomkr - EPIA M1000

If your name is not here and you have the same problem please post.

IF YOUR BOARD IS DEFECTIVE MAIL IT TO:

OPUS Solutions, Inc.
    6 Reef, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677, USA
    -------------------------------------
    Ecspecially if you are getting a +12V reading on the 3.3V rail of the 90W Opus.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear DCX3 Owner,

We have found a series problem with DCX3 DC-DC power supply modules.
    if you have not applied power to the DCX3 DC-DC yet, please DO NOT use it
    until you have read this email and have taken the necessary steps to correct
    the problem.

DCX3 has a problem when the initial power is applied to it. The noise
    generated at the instant the power is applied to the input terminals causes
    unpredictable behavior in the power supply controller output. This behavior
    sometimes damages the output stage of the power Supply. Depending on the nature
    of the device failure the input fuse may or may not open or the input may be
    shorted to the output in this case it will cause damage to the loads.

If your DCX3 is already powered up and running then there is no concern at
    the moment. But, When you disconnect the input main power (battery) then
    the above modification MUST BE DONE BEFORE YOU REAPPLY
    THE MAIN INPUT POWER to the DCX3 unit.

The following modification will solve the above problem. Please take action
    immediately to solve the problem. If you are not able to do the following
    modification and/or if your unit is already damaged then please send it to:

RMA- DCX3
    OPUS solutions, Inc.,
    6 Reef,
    Laguna Niguel, CA 92677.

Please include your return address, telephone number, the invoice # and date
    with a heading on the note "RMA-DCX3". If your unit is already damaged please
    indicate with a note "Damaged" on the bottom of the note.

We will repair the unit/s and/or modify the unit and return it back to you.

MODIFICATION PROCEDURE
    Refer to the attached drawing for reference/ detail

Please observe STATIC PRECAUTION when performing the following modification
    and during installation. Ground and discharge the body static charge before
    performing the following modification.

The modification is simple if you or some one you know with good soldering
    skill. You will also need a tweezer for handling 0805 resistor chip.
    You will need a 15K or 22K ohm 5% - resistor. If you need it we can send it
    to you.

The problem is solved by installing / soldering a 22K ohm 5% -0805 size
    resistor between the TP2 pad (Round pad) and top pad of D15 (Square pad).

These components are located just above and just right of the printing "
    PATENT PENDING " on the DCX3 Printed circuit module.

Please reply the email with the following questions answered.

My power supply is: Working, Defective or don't know

If defective, please explain the nature of the failure,
    How and when you noticed the problem.

Modification will be done by : OPUS or me

If you are performing the
    modification then do you want
    us to send the resistor: Yes/NO

If Yes, Please provide your mailing address and telephone #.
    92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Oh and also post your model and approximate date of purchase.

90W - Mid September/2003
    92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

Comment

Originally posted by guitar333
      There are about 3 people I know of with this problem. the Opus may have damaged your motherboard. If you are getting a 3.3V reading on the 12V rail of the Opus psu please post here so we can get together and e-mail Kris (Opus Solutions). Thanks!
      (Just to clarify)
      Don't you mean a +12V reading on the +3.3V rail?

I'm curious to hear how many have this problem and what Opus is going to do about it.
      "Buckethead's this guy that was raised in a chicken coop and without the bucket on his head, he's helpless"

- "Really? Oh my god..."

Comment

My 90W opus arrived around the first week of August, 2003, so I guess I ordered mid/late July.

It ran fine a couple of times, then I unplugged it. When I plugged it back in, the fuse blew.

Later, I plugged the power supply in, but attached no load and measured the
        3.3V to be 12V!!! No wonder it fried the MB. My Epia 800 is now a door stop.

Others on the board with the problem that I know of off the top of my head include adamis, and yellena...

Comment

"Later, I plugged the power supply in, but attached no load and measured the
          3.3V to be 12V"

Argg what a crappy design, thanks god i dont need OPUS. A good PSU design should protect the MB whatever happen.

I heard you guys pay so much for this, blown PSU and MB :S

Comment

yes i meant 12v on the 3.3 line, my bad. I have a non-working Epia 800 now too. dang the south and north bridge get HOT now. We should e-mail Kris soon and see what he will do about it?

Comment

As a matter of fact Ill e-mail Kris right now and send him a link to this thread.

Comment

I emailed him with a link to this thread. If he looks at this thread he should also check out our past threads about this issue:
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...706#post124706

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17410

Comment

my opus 150 watt works just fine. I've had it for maybe 4-5 months so far. BUT I noticed when I shut off my commputer. I can't turn the computer back on, Id have to turn the ignition off then on...Then turn the comp back on. No biggie, just annoying.
                  Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Originally posted by samc
                    my opus 150 watt works just fine. I've had it for maybe 4-5 months so far. BUT I noticed when I shut off my commputer. I can't turn the computer back on, Id have to turn the ignition off then on...Then turn the comp back on. No biggie, just annoying.
                    wire a switch in between the ignition and the psu. So next time you can flip it off and then on. this should work

Comment

do all of you with fried mobo's have epia 800? Anyone with a different model?
                      Just asking
                      Current Status: For Sale

Specs
                      - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
                      - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
                      - DeLorme GPS (sold)
                      - Power Inverter (sold)
                      - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

Adamis - EPIA M9000
                        Carbuser -
                        Guitar333 - EPIA 800
                        Dieter - EPIA 800
                        Yellena -
                        Gizmomkr - EPIA M1000

Comment

I had a fried mobo too but i called up the computer place i got it from and got them to replace it. It was an M10000. I have gotten my replacement and hooked it up again and it seems to worke fine. Of course i had a spare mobo lying around that i tested with the Opus before I put my new M10000 to it. I took the carputer out about a week ago so right now its not in there. Hopefully it should be all good when i put back in there in a week or two.

On a side note i thought the Opus was not getting the 12v remote line (which to me explained why it didnt turn on) so i hooked up my fried mobo to an ac power supply and smoke started coming out of one of the pieces on the mobo. It was kinda cool but i was frieking out at the time.
                          Hardware: M10000 / 2.5" 700meg Solid State Drive / 30 gig 7200 rpm HD / DigitalWW 7" LCD / USB Touscreen / X10 Lola Remote / Serial GPS
                          Current Project: Turning Nissan Steering Wheel Remote into Joystick to control Frodoplayer

Comment

On an another note is there a way to force a power supply to turn on without actually have a motherboard there. Basically by putting two pins together in the big plug coming from the power supply?

This way i could at least test the voltage coming out of the different lines.
                            Hardware: M10000 / 2.5" 700meg Solid State Drive / 30 gig 7200 rpm HD / DigitalWW 7" LCD / USB Touscreen / X10 Lola Remote / Serial GPS
                            Current Project: Turning Nissan Steering Wheel Remote into Joystick to control Frodoplayer

Comment

Originally posted by leenas
                              On an another note is there a way to force a power supply to turn on without actually have a motherboard there. Basically by putting two pins together in the big plug coming from the power supply?

This way i could at least test the voltage coming out of the different lines.
                              I didn't even have to turn the PS on--the 3.3V lines were 12 with the PS off. But if you want to see http://www.7volts.com/atxnotes.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X