help cant get inverter working now

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help cant get inverter working now

Okay I want to ground my inverter so I asked a Q on it earlier and was told to remove the lighter adapter so I did so. This left me with 2 black wires. I tried hooking up one to the red on the battery and one to the frame, no go. Switched them, still nothing. I rehooked my cig adapter to it with some electrical tape and plugged it back in and it still works but I cannot get it to run off the battery. Can anyone help me with this?
    Thanks

EDIT: The earlier post in which I asked my first question said to run the positive off my battery. I took this to mean one of the wires is positive and to hook that wire to my bat. I have tried both wires on both terminals and got nothing.

you can't just randomly hook wires to postive and ground

I'd get a multimeter at radio shack or something and test to see what end is positive and which is the ground. a multimeter is the best too to have
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

i have one and ill go do that but i didnt hurt it as it still works with the adapter and I tried them both so any idea of what im doin wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by ofthedove
        Okay I want to ground my inverter so I asked a Q on it earlier and was told to remove the lighter adapter so I did so. This left me with 2 black wires. I tried hooking up one to the red on the battery and one to the frame, no go. Switched them, still nothing. I rehooked my cig adapter to it with some electrical tape and plugged it back in and it still works but I cannot get it to run off the battery. Can anyone help me with this?
        Thanks
        Sounds like you ran the positive, but then ran a ground. You need to have postive and negative connected to the battery (so the black and red terminals on our battery). Then you can ground it. I believe this is just by running a wire from one of the screws. Make sure you know which wires on your inverter are positive or negative.

LOL, just saw your edit disregard what I said, it was probably wrong.
        My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
        2 Kicker Comp 10"
        Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
        Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
        Check it out?!

Comment

well I got it working. Ran from bat to under back seat, hid all the wires. But now apparently stretching the connection that far weakened the signal on my inverter. Its 140watt min 250max and I ahve 200 watt PSU so it was sketchy before and I planned on getting a new one but it worked... now it doesnt Anyone know where I can get an inverter for cheap? Radioshack wants 100 for 300watt

Comment

I just picked up this 400 Watt inverter at Pep Boys today for $49.99. I think they had it mislabelled because the 175 watt version is also $49.99.

Go to Pep Boys. Maybe you'll luck out like I did.

Comment

if you have a 200watt PSU then don't use a 140 watt inverter. You will just shorten the life of it big time.

Did you run the ground back to the battery? if so don't do that.. ground it to your frame. A ground wire should not be over 2 feet long in general. Also what size wires did you use to run the positive.

I'd go out and get a 300 watt inverter that is made to be run off the battery then do buy an amp wiring kit and use that for the wires and the in-line fuse. You'll notice the postivie wire has a fuse built right in line on one end and that is the end you attach to the battery.
              '98 Explorer Sport
              http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
              AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
              80% done

Comment

Anyone know where I can get an inverter for cheap? Radioshack wants 100 for 300watt
                $30 from Amazon w/ free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...802695-9283360

Comment

well I got it working. Ran from bat to under back seat, hid all the wires. But now apparently stretching the connection that far weakened the signal on my inverter. Its 140watt min 250max and I ahve 200 watt PSU so it was sketchy before and I planned on getting a new one but it worked... now it doesnt Anyone know where I can get an inverter for cheap? Radioshack wants 100 for 300watt

Saw one at target yesterday for $40.00 on sale. 400w. Good deal.
                  This is my personal homepage no advertisement here. It has a shot of my carpc project.

Comment

Working...
                  X