An Idea for you electronics genius's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Idea for you electronics genius's

I know very little about electronics, but after looking at some of the posts here about power supplies and shutdown controllers, I think somebody could make some good cash by making a device that implements both the shutdown controller and power supply into 1 unit. It would be great for saving space in a case hopefully and would give some newbies an easier way of hooking it all up.

Just a thought that somebody here that has an electronics background may want to take a bit further.
    New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

it's called the opus ... they have a few different versions, and based on what they're charging i'd assume they're making some good money
    My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

www.opussolutions.com
      What im curently listening to.
      My complete carpc setup

Comment

OHHHH damn..... I didn't even realize that the opus had a shutdown controller in it. Well my bad, I "figured" that the opus was just an overpriced power supply, but after reading into it I feel like a complete moron!! My bad!!
        New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

Well it wouldn't hurt if someone else could build one too. That would hopefully bring the price down. $150 is a bit much imo.

Comment

minibox bill have a shutdown controller out soon. So you will probably be able to get the whole solution from them for under $100. it'll be two boards tho.

and the opus also provides voltage regulation, which is where some of the cost comes from. With the minibox supplies you need to regulate your 12v before giving it to the ps
            My JeepPC Install

Comment

The Opus has 150W right?
              is that enough to supply a PC and a TFT display?
              Any power supply in a desktop pc hast at least 300W!

Comment

opus has a 150w model yes. they also have smaller versions.

is it enough? depends on what you plan to power off of it. most desktops have at least 300w because they are capable of powering 4+ 12v IDE devices, 5+ expansion cards, and any nummber of USB devices.

even then most PCs don't consume much over 200w.

that's why most peopl erun laptop drives. low power consumption and very rugged.

the TFT takes next to no power. read the spec for your screen ... it will tell you the power needs.
                My JeepPC Install

Comment

Working...
                X