Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I look for when buying a power inverter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I look for when buying a power inverter?

Topic is pretty self explanitory

Originally posted by NS98GSR
    Topic is pretty self explanitory
    I am not an expert, but I know enough to make mine work!

Basically the main thing is you want to make sure you have enough watts to run your computer. Also, most inverters output a modified sine wave, which is usually okay, but some components may require a pure sine wave. Here is a decent FAQ - http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/faq.htm#26

If you can find one with a remote power switch that will really come in handy if you're mounting in the trunk. I couldn't find a low end one that included that feature - just the expensive 800+ watt models. I just put a switch in the wiring that I used to the inverter. If you go that route, you should use a relay as well, since most switches can only handle about 10amps or less.

Another important thing is at installation time. You need to make sure the line you run your inverter can handle the power. Many lighter outlets are also 10amps. If you have a power outlet it may be up to 20. If you need much more power then that direct battery wiring is recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by swzine
      Another important thing is at installation time. You need to make sure the line you run your inverter can handle the power. Many lighter outlets are also 10amps. If you have a power outlet it may be up to 20. If you need much more power then that direct battery wiring is recommended.
      I plan to be running a laptop, a 7" LCD w/touch, and maybe an external dvd drive off it.

Are there any inverters which have more than 2 outputs?

Comment

Just use a power strip. I have lots of things running off mine.
        2002 Golf TDI With Phatbox . Blue 87 Supra Needs to go, Grey 89 Targa with stock Radio.

Comment

If you are using a laptop, you are better off using a dc-dc converter for laptop. Unless you got some other item that need AC.

Comment

Originally posted by NS98GSR
            Are there any inverters which have more than 2 outputs?
            Most 400 watt or greater inverters have 2 outlets. Also get one that has a way to connect right to the battery and not just a cig plug.

Comment

Working...
            X