Powering UPS from inverter.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering UPS from inverter.

I searched this forum, and learnt that I am not the only one who tried to power UPS from inverter with no luck. I was wondering how UPS detects "bad power"? According to the posts on this forum UPS doesn't like high frequency harmonics in the inverter's "sinewave" output.

The question is: has anyone tried to filter this noise before applying power to UPS? I am thinking about using a 110V/110V iron transformer between inverter and UPS. This should smooth the sinewave and make a UPS think that is connected to a wall.

--Alik

Might be, but what about the efficiency and weight of this setup? Search for "tank circuit" to find another way to do this without having a "DC-AC converter -> iron transformer -> UPS -> AC-DC converter(psu) " setup. There are better ways.

Comment

I had the UPS and inverter setup and trust me you don't want it. I know it's the cheapest way to go but its also anoying. You are waaaay better off with an OPUS.
      Opus case. MB 899 core duo 2.0ghz
      Dual vga out, 400 gb hard drive, Centrefuse front end
      zapco 1000.4 for zapco 6.5 componets
      zapco 1100.1 for 2 13" W6.

Comment

Whats the reason for UPS? act as a tank or something else

You can buy a pure sine wave inverters, they do cost more though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
          Whats the reason for UPS? act as a tank or something else

You can buy a pure sine wave inverters, they do cost more though.
          The main reason I want to use UPS is to gracefully shutdown PC when my engine is off. Unlike many auto-shutdown devices that use serial port my UPS uses USB. My setup doesn't have any spare serial ports, that is why I am thinking about UPS.

Comment

Allot of the ups's take a long time (about 8 hours) to charge up even when the unit is not completly discharge. Also allot of the units have a warning sound that cannot be shut off ever time you turn off power to them.
            Opus case. MB 899 core duo 2.0ghz
            Dual vga out, 400 gb hard drive, Centrefuse front end
            zapco 1000.4 for zapco 6.5 componets
            zapco 1100.1 for 2 13" W6.

Comment

Originally posted by cvi
              Might be, but what about the efficiency and weight of this setup? Search for "tank circuit" to find another way to do this without having a "DC-AC converter -> iron transformer -> UPS -> AC-DC converter(psu) " setup. There are better ways.
              He's not trying to make a tank circuit, he's trying to make a shutdown controller. Completely different thing. Still a wrongheaded way to do it, though.

Originally posted by alik
              The main reason I want to use UPS is to gracefully shutdown PC when my engine is off. Unlike many auto-shutdown devices that use serial port my UPS uses USB. My setup doesn't have any spare serial ports, that is why I am thinking about UPS.
              Most (all?) of the shutdown controllers I've seen do not use the serial port, they connect to the ATX switch headers on the motherboard, as this is what that was designed for. Where did you find one that uses the serial port?

You would be much better off getting an ITPS and bypassing the regulator to use it as just a shutdown controller.

Comment

Originally posted by none
                Most (all?) of the shutdown controllers I've seen do not use the serial port, they connect to the ATX switch headers on the motherboard, as this is what that was designed for.
                I got it! I completely forgot that ATX power switch can be configured to shutdown OS. On the other hand, UPS shutdown software has advantages. Fist of all the shutdown delay can be easily customized, second of all I can abort shutdown if I need some extra time to finish my work.

Comment

Originally posted by alik
                  On the other hand, UPS shutdown software has advantages. Fist of all the shutdown delay can be easily customized, second of all I can abort shutdown if I need some extra time to finish my work.

Mucha's shutdown controller does both those things.

Comment

Working...
                  X