Inverter,PC Auto Start/Shudown..Help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter,PC Auto Start/Shudown..Help please

First off I've been searching for a week now on how to do this with an inverter, and this is really driving me crazy!! So if someone can please help me out, that would be REALLY appreciated.

(Can't afford an OPUS so that's out of the ?)

I'm going to run an inverter (400W "modified sinewave" with a switch) to power my Shuttle XPC. I would run a dedicated 12VDC line (4 gauge with inline fuse(80AMP) located near battery), to the back of the car then use one of those distribution blocks( 4way splitter), then run 1 line to the inverter(might want another inline fuse) and the others would go to the stereo amplifiers. Ground the metal chassis of the inverter and PC to a good ground spot.

Now here's what I want to have happen
    • I do not want to have any switches or buttons to mess with.
    • The Inverter will automatically turn on when ignition is turned on
    • If I turn on the ignition I want the computer to boot up (inverter turns on and computer is set to resume after power loss), and when I start the car I do not want the inverter to loose power.
    • Now when it comes to shutdown I just don't want the power to be cut off when I turn the ignition off.
    • Now I have the delayed Accesory function(accessories stay on for 10mins, or until a door is opened, without the ignition being on) on my Camaro so I would still like to have that feature available for use with the computer...so basically when the alll power has been cut off I want the computer to go through the whole shutdown process.
    • I want the computer to be shutdown properly without any intervention (basically it would be just like using the start button..turn off...yada yada yada)
    • Once the computer has had a proper amount of time to shutdown then the inverter would shutdown to prevent battery drain.

Okay so there's my process I would like to have happen.
    Can anyone help me out on making this possible?

Brian

I have the same kind of set up - fused line and an inverter the best thing to do is buy a shutdown controller - Jeff Mucha has a good one there are others avaliable tho
    CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
    Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

http://home.comcast.net/~zootjeff/shutdown/index.html

It would work perfectly for the startup procedure I'm asking for, so that'll take care of that.

Doesn't look like that device shuts down the computer properly (just like you would if you were to use the mouse and click start, turn off computer in WINXP) . Unless I don't understand how the ATX Power Pulse thing works.

Also will that device handle the load of the 400W power inverter? I'm going to use this one http://www.brandsonsale.com/400watpowin.html.

Comment

anybody??

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2CamaroSS
          anybody??
          In windows there is a setting to tell the computer what to do when the power button is pressed, you can tell it to shut down, standby, hibernate, or prompt a window.

Control panel > Power options > Advanced tab
          "If the mirror aint shakin, you've been taken"

Comment

Hot Switch, you can press the power button and have it do whatever like the above post.

Comment

Excellent info. Thank you soo much!

Comment

Does the Jeff Mucha Controller turn the computer on too?? Because from my understanding it just uses boot after power loss which my mobo doesn't support. Maybe I need to go shopping for a new one??

Comment

it does not turn the computer on. You have to do exactly what you said, and set your BIOS to boot after power loss.

Comment

Working...
                  X