Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Size Opus do I need or will OPUS WORK?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Size Opus do I need or will OPUS WORK?

I want to run the following setup in my 350Z:

AMD Athlon 2600+ XP
    Geforce4 Video Card
    512 MB DDR Ram
    80GB 7200RPM HDD
    DVD ROM DRIVE
    ASUS Motherboard
    Onboard sound, network
    Wireless network PCI Card
    3 case fans...

Will an OPUS PSU cut it? or do I need something else. Also if anyone has experience in wiring one of these in a 350z your help would be greatly appreciated, even more if you are located in the Boston area.

that's a lot of power for a carputer...are you going to be ripping DVD's and playing quake at the same time?

that might be just enough OPUS power for it...but it sounds like you might be getting close...

search for a power calculator....that will help you!
    BossTone74

Comment

Originally posted by drmaximus
      Also if anyone has experience in wiring one of these in a 350z your help would be greatly appreciated,
      This thread may help, or give you ideas:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15854
      My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
      Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

I know that is alot of power for a carputer but that is the only extra PC I have, I would love to build a Mini-ITX solution but since I have this PC sitting around I would like to utilize it. I don't like the Inverters so would like not to resort to them...anyway let me know if anyone knows for sure...the powercalc comes out to 148...am I okay or is that too close....

Comment

i wouldn't run the opus on that. your CPU will graw around 80 watts alone average. if you don't go over the 150 watts the opus can provide then you'll be close and thats not good for the PSU
          '98 Explorer Sport
          http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
          AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
          80% done

Comment

AMD Athlon 2400+ XP
            Geforce4 ti4200 Video Card
            512 MB DDR Ram
            120GB 7200RPM HDD
            DVD ROM DRIVE
            ASUS Motherboard
            Sound blaster live
            delorme usb GPS
            usb keyboard
            Wireless network PCI Card
            fv tv tuner card.
            2 case fans... One CPU, one Case
            This is my home system and just to see if it work i replaced my 300 watt PS with a 120 watt. Guess what, 5 months later it is still running and no dammage, no unexpected reboots, no problems what so ever.

This is just my setup and your may vary but for me it is no problem what so ever. I was going to get a 150 watt opus but am just using an inverter when i bring the system to the truck (dedicated system in the works).

Don

Comment

also remember PSU's will peak. Like inverters will peak. You can run them over but you will greatly descrease the life of the PSU
              '98 Explorer Sport
              80% done

Comment

I know that is alot of power for a carputer but that is the only extra PC I have, I would love to build a Mini-ITX solution but since I have this PC sitting around I would like to utilize it. I don't like the Inverters so would like not to resort to them...anyway let me know if anyone knows for sure...the powercalc comes out to 148...am I okay or is that too close....
                Believe it or not I thought I would avoid getting a mini-itx, but after seing how much stupid little things I would need to get a full-ATX setup to work, I found out I can get a complete ITX system cheaper. (and it would actually fit)
                "If the mirror aint shakin, you've been taken"

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
                  also remember PSU's will peak. Like inverters will peak. You can run them over but you will greatly descrease the life of the PSU
                  When you say greatly do you mean the life will decrease by a few months or years..If I get one good year out of the PSU I will be satisfied, by then it will be time to upgrade...I guess my question is could OPUS power that rig for at least a year in a car....

Comment

When you say greatly do you mean the life will decrease by a few months or years..If I get one good year out of the PSU I will be satisfied, by then it will be time to upgrade...I guess my question is could OPUS power that rig for at least a year in a car....

It depends on how much you have to push it. Try to find like a power caculator that'll tell you how many watts each device will use and such. I've tried to push a PSU like that and it actually caught on fire. Its generally not a good idea
                    '98 Explorer Sport
                    80% done

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
                      It depends on how much you have to push it. Try to find like a power caculator that'll tell you how many watts each device will use and such. I've tried to push a PSU like that and it actually caught on fire. Its generally not a good idea
                      So I have decided to try the OPUS, now how do I order one, they do not have a order page on their website...???

Comment

You can email or call them. Their contact details are at here

Comment

I have an amd +2400, 200GB HDD, DVD rom and installed an ATI all in wonder 9000 pro. The opus 150 could'nt handle it. It would reboot unexpectily. It works fine without the graphics card.
                          Opus case. MB 899 core duo 2.0ghz
                          Dual vga out, 400 gb hard drive, Centrefuse front end
                          zapco 1000.4 for zapco 6.5 componets
                          zapco 1100.1 for 2 13" W6.

Comment

I bought a 250W dc-dc psu. for 179. Shutdown controller for 35, I got the psu but still waiting on the shutdown controller. Just an option you may want to consider.

Comment

Working...
                            X