12vdc power regulator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12vdc power regulator

Is anyone using a 12vdc power conditioner? I use to see these in car stereo business where it filters the power for a clean 12vdc, no spikes. Think I need one for a carputer? Don't want to have power spike kill my carputer.

i'd use one if i used a dc-dc psu to be on the safe side
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

My equipment is all 12vdc (laptop, display, etc). Avoiding the ac-dc converters. Think it would be a problem if I left my laptop on all the time. Just connect the screen to switched 12vdc. That way I have instant on without boot time =)

Comment

whether or not you need one for your car pc depends. If you're using a viaM10000, and a power supply like the PW-xx series from minibox ... and if you don't have any 12v components ... then you don't need one.

Other wise it's a darn good idea. There's a number of schematics available on this forum and on the internet (including mine when i get off my lazy duff and draw one) that show good designs ... most of them use the LM1084-IT12 regulator.

You can also just use MiniBox's ITPS ... which has a regulator in it.
        My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by greddy0
          My equipment is all 12vdc (laptop, display, etc). Avoiding the ac-dc converters. Think it would be a problem if I left my laptop on all the time. Just connect the screen to switched 12vdc. That way I have instant on without boot time =)
          in this case you definately need a regulator.

leave your pc on all the time??? your battery would die in a matter of hours.
          My JeepPC Install

Comment

Thanks shakes =) I think the power won't last either. I will plan to wire everything to a switched circuit that goes down when the acc is off. Not sure if my laptop will wake from sleep with just a touchscreen input. I would like to avoid using my keyboard.

Comment

you should be able to wire some sort of shutdown controller (like the ITPS) to the laptop's 'sleep' button.
              My JeepPC Install

Comment

Working...
              X