A very cheap way to power your PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very cheap way to power your PC

A UPS "backup power station" takes 120 volts AC, converts it to 12 volts DC (on some models), stores the power in a battery or two, and then converts it back into 120 volts AC.
    One thought would be to only use the 12 volt to 120 volt inverter as a VERY cheap way to power your standard power supply (You can pick up used UPS' for very cheap).
    I am aware of the whole noise factor, but if you get a good quality UPS, I am not sure that would be an issue.
    If anyone has tried this, let me know, I am interested to see if it would work or not. Thanks

I don't know about just using part of the ups but I seem to recall a thread where some people tested a ups hooked up to an inverter and found it didn't work properly.

Comment

Well not only that, but do the math... a good UPS is going to cost you at least $100 bucks, then you add in another $30-$50 dollars for an inverter.... now you have enough cash to buy an opus, because your not going to find a "Good" UPS for much less than a $100 bucks w/ a good battery. Its a good idea, I haven't searched for any threads related to it, but its just not economical in the long run!!!
      New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

it's been discussed a couple of times on this site, and I'll say what I always say: it's nice if you have a UPS laying arround gathering dust, or if you can pick one up from a pawn that doesn't know it to be anything more than a powerstrip, then sure it might be 'cost effective', but they're not designed (unless they're really expensive and are a "true UPS") to run for long (thus heat problems), and for the most part will infact not be cost effective. A good power inverter capable of satisfying your every need (car computer, that is) can be gotten for in the neighborhood of $25

punt
        car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Anyone in So Oregon want a 500 pound UPS system? Runs on 4 12v batteries. Built like a tank. My friend picked it up after his office closed down. It wouldnt way a car down "too" much

Comment

I guess my brain fart stunk.... oh well, back to the drawing board.

Comment

Originally posted by e_fractal
              Anyone in So Oregon want a 500 pound UPS system? Runs on 4 12v batteries. Built like a tank. My friend picked it up after his office closed down. It wouldnt way a car down "too" much
              already got one... but wouldn't mind another one.... If you take out the batteries it doesn't way much... I'll pay for shipping !!
              car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Working...
              X