PW70 Test run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PW70 Test run

Hey guys. I have purchased a PW70a which has yet to arrive, but should be here shortly. I didn't feel like buying they brick for a few test runs with before I got everything installed. I know this may sound redundant/dumb to some, but if i ran the 12volt and ground off of a molex from a standard PSU, to the + and ground on my pw70a, that should work to test right? It's 12v stable power. Keep in mind i'm not doing this in the car, that'd be ridiculous, but rather as a way to test it before install, as I do not have a brick. And yes i know red is 12v.

Scared some of you huh? Just kidding, I know yellow is 12v, you don't have to preach it.
    My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
    2 Kicker Comp 10"
    Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
    Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
    Check it out?!

Well, i dont see a problem with it, so long as you can get it to turn on ( the purple wire) I would prefer a small power supply myself, but make do with what you have.
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

i think you've PMed me about this ... but the molex connectors on PSUs aren't always hot. there's a pin on there that tells the PS to turn on and start supplying power to all the molex connectors.

So if this molex connector you're connecting to is in another PC that is running ... yes it will work fine (long as your PS can support the extra wattage)
      My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
        Well, i dont see a problem with it, so long as you can get it to turn on ( the purple wire) I would prefer a small power supply myself, but make do with what you have.
        I think you mean the green wire, pin 14.

The power brick they sell is similar in design to a regular PSU, just that it only supplies a single voltage, and lower amount of current.

While it shouldn't be a problem, I had a case long ago, where a linear PSU I built didn't like being powered via another PSU. It would blow the top of the regulator.
        But, that could have been my fault.

I'm sure someone here has done what you did and would give a better insight. Hopefully, they will answer this...

-Mario

Comment

Originally posted by m3rdpwr
          I think you mean the green wire, pin 14.
          What's a bit of colour-blindness between electricians??
          Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

What about a 12V AC-DC adapter like This Adapter This Adapter

I know that alot of the PW-70's come already ready w/ an adapter plug on it!! I've never tried it, but its DC power and capable of 12V
            New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

Those two adaptors are 0.3a and 0.8a 12v outputs. You need an AC-DC adaptor with a few more amps to power the pw70's
              My CarPC install piccies http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgi-bin...at=561&thumb=1

Comment

I have a 300 Watt 12v DC motor that I use to power my car alternator (both mounted on my workbench and connected by a fanbelt).

This allows me to supply 14 VDC to my 720CCA Kragen battery keeping it charged.

I can then just connect it to the battery leads, and there you go.

Now I just need to find a way to power my 300 Watt DC motor. I'm thinking of moving my workbench into my garrage so I can just run some jumper cables to my dc motor.

I may just get one of these... http://www.allstates.com/alternator_...ench__test.htm
                VIA M-1K Nh; Lilliput 7" Touch; Earthmate GPS; Slim Slot DVD/CDRw; OBD-2.COM; ATI-Pro TV; RF Wireless KB; USB Thumb 802.11b; 7"x3.5"x7" Lexan Case; 40G Laptop HD; PW-70 w/ITPS; Headliner TV Antenna; XPHome; Delorme Streets 2003/Topo USA

Comment

Originally posted by GinoRP
                  I have a 300 Watt 12v DC motor that I use to power my car alternator (both mounted on my workbench and connected by a fanbelt).

This allows me to supply 14 VDC to my 720CCA Kragen battery keeping it charged.

I can then just connect it to the battery leads, and there you go.

Now I just need to find a way to power my 300 Watt DC motor. I'm thinking of moving my workbench into my garrage so I can just run some jumper cables to my dc motor.
                  Bizarre! You'd have a few redundant parts in that scenario?
                  Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

DOOOOOOHHHH! Yes, it is the GREEN wire...sorry

http://xtronics.com/reference/atx_pinout.htm
                    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Shakes I PM'd you a while back about regulators, but not this, musta been someone else.

I'm either going to try using the 12v and the gnd (-12v is what's it's labeled?) off the ATX connector instead of the molex. You say the ATX connector has got to be plugged in to a board so that sounds right...

or this little mod to keep the molex's on all the time. This is a spare ATX PSU, i'm not going to be using for anything else and figured it would be good for testing. Thanks for your replies guys, I hadn't seen anybody else give this a shot, and i couldn't justify the $40 cost of the brick for a couple of test runs.
                      2 Kicker Comp 10"
                      Check it out?!

Comment

you could also run to radio shack and see if you can find some female connectors for the ATX plug ... then just short those pins together

that way you can use your PSU both for a portable psu and as a real psu for an atx board.
                        My JeepPC Install

Comment

So just the same thing, but with an extension to take on/off between testing and normal use? sounds great.
                          2 Kicker Comp 10"
                          Check it out?!

Comment

My PW70a just arrived today, that thing is smaller than i could have imagined.

My spare PSU says it's max output on the 3.3v rail is 12a.
                            My pw70a PSU says it's max output on the 3.3v rail is 5a.
                            Is current drawn only as needed, can the PW70a work with that?

Also, m3rdpower said he blew his regulator trying to power his homemade PSU with another atx psu. I just got this and don't want to screw things up. Any insight?
                            2 Kicker Comp 10"
                            Check it out?!

Comment

the 12a and 5a are maxes ... the pc will only draw what it needs
                              My JeepPC Install

Comment

Working...
                              X