what will i need

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what will i need

I want to power a standard desk top PC. the power pack supplies 12V, 5V and 3.3V as most of you will already know. How do i power a desktop PC in a Car with enough plugs to run Hard Disks and other Drives straight from the Battery, I could buy converters 12V to 230V and then plug that to the PC but thatís a waste.

I was reading up on the ITPS and it seems great. But what about the voltage and current distribution to the rest of the PC? Is there a circuit that will act exactly like a power pack but with 12v input?

Can anyone help me?
    (Sorry for all the questions (newbie to in car hobbies but not to electronics))

Well, like I always said, Welcome to www.mp3car.com Forums!

First, before you start doing anything, read the forums!!! You should research the forum, there is a loottt of material...Go to the Power Supplies section and you will realize how helpful the forums are. You can't find a better place than www.mp3car.com forums.

Simplest solution to your problem: Buy an OPUS Power supply.

Comment

yeah ive done abit of reading and found heaps of info on inverters and other suff... but i did get a little lost

Ive found the opus at http://www.opussolutions.com/150watt.html

another thing does it have any features like the ITPS?
      eg: Ignition during driving: computer remains on

if the opus is so good why doesnt everyone get one, if the are running a PC in a car?

also if i press the power button (or the ING switch off) will the computer go into shutdown mode by itself like in normal ATX PCs?

Comment

Originally posted by coma
        yeah ive done abit of reading and found heaps of info on inverters and other suff... but i did get a little lost

Ive found the opus at http://www.opussolutions.com/150watt.html
        That's the best! GEt it!

another thing does it have any features like the ITPS?
        eg: Ignition during driving: computer remains on
        YES YES YES...it GREAT!

if the opus is so good why doesnt everyone get one, if the are running a PC in a car?
        Because everyone is trying to make a cheaper alternative with as much power, or a little less....but the problem is, all they end up saving in cash is about 90 (just a guess) bucks after all is said and done...and that doesn't include the countless hours they spend on trying to figure it out, unless you are REALLy good with electronics (which a lot of people on these forums are!)
        also if i press the power button (or the ING switch off) will the computer go into shutdown mode by itself like in normal ATX PCs?
        YES!!! it's set up to start when you turn the key, even through cranking...you can also add other buttons and switches to have it come on with out your keys, also add a reset button, or even turn it off while your keys are in it with out having to go to the menu and going through the shut stuff there.
        BossTone74

Comment

I dont know personally but I dont think the ITPS will survive a engine start... It has a Power requirment of 13.4 - 14.8? basically engine needs to be running to power it properly.. May be wrong... I just remember reading something about this a minute ago on a Mini ITX site..

Comment

Originally posted by Twizted
            I dont know personally but I dont think the ITPS will survive a engine start... It has a Power requirment of 13.4 - 14.8? basically engine needs to be running to power it properly.. May be wrong... I just remember reading something about this a minute ago on a Mini ITX site..
            yes but everytime you cranck your engine, voltage can dip down to 10...that's why you would need to get a tank circuit...
            then as I said before, you are spending a whole lot of time....time=money
            You have to ask yourself, what's your time worth....guess how much time it will take you to make a power supply or piece one together...double it, mutiply by 3 and you have a WHOLE LOT OF TIME Waisted, when you could be listening to tunes it your car!

Buy the buy OPUS, buy time, save headaches!
            BossTone74

Comment

Oh believe me I know....
              I fully intend to place my order for one asap... I was just telling him about that... yeah I forgot about the Tank circuit... but still... you cant beat an Opus...

Comment

where can i order one?

Comment

www.opussolutions.com

Comment

but theres no link to a shopping page of any kind
                    no cart, no prices. it doesnt look like you can buy from their site

Comment

Originally posted by coma
                      but theres no link to a shopping page of any kind
                      no cart, no prices. it doesnt look like you can buy from their site
                      just mail them.. they'll send you prices and any other information!
                      the power supply's are from 140$ up..
                      Car: 85' Audi Urquattro
                      System: VIA EPIA M10000?, GPS, WLAN, DLink Radio
                      Display: 7" Lilliput Touchscreen
                      Power: 300W DC/AC Inverter, OPUS?
                      Sound: 7.1 Dolby Digital with Audigy2 NX

Comment

Working...
                      X