opus vs inverter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opus vs inverter

i found a 800w 12vdc to 230v~240v AC for the same price as the Opus and was wondering would getting the inverter be better, cause wouldnt it be a ineficient way of powering a PC? but also by getting a inverter i would be able to pluging other stuff
    like a VGA spliter which lets me display my screen on more than one monitor. but the spliter works off 15 volts i think so i could make something for it.. do what is better inverter or Opus

here are the stats for the inverter
    output power 25min: 800w
    output continuous: 650w
    output power surge: 1000w
    ac output voltage: 240v
    regulation: +5%
    output wave: modified sine wave
    DC input voltage: 10 - 15volts
    low battery alarm:10.7 volts
    low battery shut down: 10volts
    frequency +1%:50Hz
    effciency 85-90%
    cooling fan: yes
    overload potection: yes
    input short curcuit protection: yes

it also has the ability to connect directly to the battery through aligaitor clips so it should survive cranking but ill try to findout for sure...

opus wins

inverter loses!

Comment

If I were you I'd go for the Opus. Not only will the inverter have an annoying buzzing sound probably, you'd have to worry about a switch for it and worry about shutting it down, whereas the opus will shut itself down. The Opus is way more efficient than a inverter anyway. You'll need to hardwire any inverter that's gonna draw that much power directly from the battery.

Comment

like a VGA spliter which lets me display my screen on more than one monitor
        Or just get a video card with two VGA's out.

Do you have a link to the power supply you're talking about? Personally, I'm about to order an opus in the next month or so...bigger and badder doesn't mean better.

Comment

all valid points (except the first reply)
          i was more inclined to the Opus for its ablitly to survive the harsh Car enviroment...
          well im going to run 3-4 touch screens so i need the spliter anyway. still making something for that shouldnt be that hard anyways (i hope)

Comment

If you have read much on the topic the Opus is a better bet.
            Less noise,
            fewer grounding issues
            more functions

Get the opus.
            TruckinMP3
            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Read the FAQ in the newbie section
              NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
              If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Not to be rude, this topic has been talked over sooooo many times....of course OPUS.... I think it is the best option out there. Of course there are many other options out there, but OPUS is the right way to go if you got the extra cash.

Comment

the only reason the opus has less noise is because of its low power output, which brings me to another point. the Opus is weak as. 150w isnt much...
                  basicly i want to know if its going to be worth that extra money

i would like to know what systems people are using with the Opus
                  Cards, drives, peripherals etc.

Comment

Originally posted by coma
                    the only reason the opus has less noise is because of its low power output, which brings me to another point. the Opus is weak as. 150w isnt much...

Try the search function Really you will find a bunch on info.

You can save money and not be happy, or you can get the Opus.
                    TruckinMP3
                    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Either DC-DC or DC-AC-DC (Inverter) all has advantage over other.
                      Inverter: cheap and widely available.
                      DC-DC: Expensive and not widely available

If you just want to put it together to see how computer work in car environment, inverter is a way to go. If you don't like the idea of computer in car, dump all together and doesn't cost that much. But if you like it, you should consider DC-DC in the long run.

As for DC-DC there are couple options: buy it and use or DIY.
                      If you are DYI, Sproggy is very darn good. Work well in extreme cold environment (some members complain OPUS doesn't work well in cold). This is a chance for you to learn more about electronic stuff (as I do over the pass couple months).
                      If you just buy it and use, Opus is clearly a winner over other commercial PSU because it has build in shutdown controller and other stuff. I don't have one yet but will get one for my 2nd car install unless the new Sproggy have enough juice for my requirement.

Well READ the Faq on power supply to see the good, the bad, and the ugly about power in automobile environment.

I am currently using inverter and it work darn well too. It is my test out how computer work in car. I will switch to Sproggy when I get all the part together. Dammm I just burn my Maxs chips.
                      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I use the exact same inverter!!!

Originally posted by coma

You gotta be in Australia right? I got the exact same inverter from dicksmith elec a week ago and I was very happy with it. I use it hooked up to a second battey in the boot, connected in parallel with the main battery and an ITPS as startup/shutdown controller, with bypassed the regulation. My computer now survives cranks for the first time and I was getting very excited. I set the power management to laptop/portable computer and it did an excellent job. Last night however I had no computer in the car,weird enough, and this morning i couldn't even start the car!!! drained batteries... I always left the inverter running 24hrs and it was probably pushing the batteries too much(not too sure about this).

A guy told me at work that even the voltage does NOT go below 10 v (inverter shuts down/protection -10V) it still draws a lot of current and not leaving enough power to star the car engine..

A quick solution is to install a remote switch from the inverter built in switch to the dash.

Apart from that, after having the switch, i'll be able to run a lot more devices that the opus very easily. I would recommend the inverter over the opus. Noise can't be an issue when you have a noisy car and a sub woofer anyways.

Comment

Not to bash Opus, but it isn't the solve-all for everyone. I won't have one. It doesn't have the power I need, doesn't have the options I want.

I use an inverter an my own power controller. I do not have any noise from the inverter, do not have any grounding issues, or any other problems at all. I have much more flexibility than any Opus user. I have a faster PC than most with an Opus, and it doesn't lock up from lack of power like those running too much off an Opus.

I don't have any trouble surviving crank either, and I spent much less than someone using an Opus!

Just providing a different standpoint.

KyferEz
                          TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
                          PSU Wattage Calculator
                          Electronics Calculators
                          Copper Wire Data

Comment

^^^thats good to hear. ive got a 325 watt inverter that i plan on using to power my 7" lilliput touchscreen and 2.4ghz shuttle xpc. ive been very concerned about noise issues, cant wait to try it out!

Comment

CNX-p1900!!! Coming soon!
                              I am using an inverter with no real complaints... untill this comes out.
                              140W! sweet...
                              http://www.carnetix.com/CNXP1900.htm
                              Carputer status: [-*---------]
                              Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Working...
                              X