Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to find acc wire that stays alive during crank.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need to find acc wire that stays alive during crank.

    I'm using a Jeff Mucha shutdown controller and for the "aux" wire I'm going to use the accessory switch wire which goes to my headunit but this wire does not stay alive during cranking. I'm assuming this would cause my system to shutdown when I crank. I don't know where I could find an accessory wire that would stay hot during crank. What is the solution for this?

    Upon taking apart the steering column I can see that there are six wires plugged into the ignition barrel thing, but I don't know what any of them are and I don't have a multimeter, I only have a circuit tester so I can only test to see if the wire is hot or not.

  • #2
    here you go
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21179
    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

    Comment


    • #3
      www.bulldogsecurity.com
      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
      I'M DEBT FREE!!
      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

      Comment


      • #4
        Not going to happen...... for tank circuits surving cranks!! Your going to need to build like a tank circuit or buy an OPUS that is the only way to survive a crank!!!
        New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by R3l0ad
          Not going to happen...... for tank circuits surving cranks!! Your going to need to build like a tank circuit or buy an OPUS that is the only way to survive a crank!!!
          Umm, I will have a tank in place, but if my accessory wire goes low then it will tell the shutdown controller to send an atx pulse to turn the computer off. Thus my computer will shut down during crank, not due to a loss of voltage but due to the shutdown controller losing +12V on the "aux" line.

          Comment


          • #6
            IGN (ignition) found at the ignition harness. On when the car's on, off when the car's off. through cranking and whatnot.

            only use this for switching a relay!
            car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by robiewp
              IGN (ignition) found at the ignition harness. On when the car's on, off when the car's off. through cranking and whatnot.

              only use this for switching a relay!
              How about for switching a shutdown controller, is that acceptable use? And can you specify more where this can be found exactly?

              Comment


              • #8
                Read the thread on the link I posted earlier. Combine the ACC and IGN wire together. That will do the trick.
                2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

                Comment


                • #9
                  BALLS! i misspoke. the IGN wire is not on all of the time, only when the engine is.

                  Matrix, in my car the ACC switches off before the IGN switches on. if you turn the key fast were talking sub 50ms, but there's a state where the key has turned off accessory but not turned on IGN, and depending on how slow you turn the key could be long enough to cause a problem. I know it would trip a simple relay. How do you counter this?
                  car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How about running a wire from the battery?
                    Installation Complete, pics soon

                    EPIA M10000 in Morex 3688 case
                    FrodoPlayer
                    CoPilot Live 8

                    Back from long hiatus, will be rebuilding soon

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by robiewp
                      BALLS! i misspoke. the IGN wire is not on all of the time, only when the engine is.

                      Matrix, in my car the ACC switches off before the IGN switches on. if you turn the key fast were talking sub 50ms, but there's a state where the key has turned off accessory but not turned on IGN, and depending on how slow you turn the key could be long enough to cause a problem. I know it would trip a simple relay. How do you counter this?
                      You mean the ACC wire is cut off when switch from ACC to IGN?
                      That is odd. Well that could be for some American cars/Eupopean cars that I don't know of.
                      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just delay the shutdown controller for a few seconds before it sends the ATX power pulse (R1 on the MPEGBOX SDC). If the IGN line goes low while cranking but turns back on after cranking the shutdown controller won't send the pulse to shutdown the computer.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You mean the ACC wire is cut off when switch from ACC to IGN?

                          I thought the ACC turn off then you crank the engine...it does stay on when the key is on the IGN, the normal position when driving the car.

                          This is what I know :

                          ALL OFF > ACC ON > ACC ON and IGN ON > ACC OFF, IGN ON and STARTER ON.

                          You need to have your IGN on while cranking and during driving, engine wont start without Ignition, hence the name IGN

                          ACC can go off during cranking as this is only for radios and such...not required to start your engine.

                          But of course some cars are different, but it should be fairly standard

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think what robiewp is saying is that if he turns the key to midway between the ACC and IGN points neither are active on his car and hence joined dioded arrangement won't work MatrixPC suggested won't work as that relies on at least one being active.
                            My CarPC install piccies http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgi-bin...at=561&thumb=1

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by audrenaline
                              Just delay the shutdown controller for a few seconds before it sends the ATX power pulse (R1 on the MPEGBOX SDC). If the IGN line goes low while cranking but turns back on after cranking the shutdown controller won't send the pulse to shutdown the computer.
                              Good thought, but I have modified the shutdown controller to also send an atx pulse when the aux line goes high (thus it is now a startup and shutdown controller). See this thread for how.

                              So, even if I delay the shutdown atx pulse, a startup atx pulse will be sent once I stop cranking and the accessory line goes high again.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X