Shutdown Controller Logistics - How Do You Use Yours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutdown Controller Logistics - How Do You Use Yours

We engineer our car pc's to our lifestyle, habits, ingenuity, etc based on our own criteria on what works for you. What I like to see is how everybody uses thier shutdown/boot up controllers in things like:

- ease of use
    - dealing with boot up times
    - valet parking
    - servicing your car
    - all the everyday things

These are just some of the things, my biggest concern is frequent starts throughout the day when I am traveling around the city (not uncommon to stop and start your car 9,10,11,12 times) and having to wait for PC to boot up everytime. Sometimes 60 minute delays from the Opus just isnt enough. I have heard people using hibernation modes, remote starts, etc. So not only tell me what you did but WHY you did it.

I used a BX24 chip- a very simple microcontroller to run a solid state relay to turn an inverter on and off. The chip makes decisions based on a DPDT switch in the console - if it's it the top position the computer stays on all the time. If it's in the bottom position, the computer stays off all the time. If it's in the "center off" position, the computer will turn on and off automatically with the car ignition. I can also change the timings on my boot and shutdown sequence very easily by reprogramming the controller, which stays directly connected to the serial port of the PC.

Why I do this is simple- it affords me almost unlimited flexibility in when I want to restart, how I want to control it, and how long the delays should be to do so. In the winter I want long delays to give my car plenty of time to warm up, and since I'll probably be scraping the car off at the time, I dont need it to turn on for 5-10 minutes. Come summertime, I'll lower my timings considerably to have the computer be more responsive.

Also, the controller has 16 IO- so not only does it allow me to control my start and shutdown, but it can do things like monitor temperature in various parts of the car, interface with serial devices, and connect to other digital systems. It opens me up to a whole bunch of options.

Comment

My "on" button of the computer is connected to central (un)locking/alarm so everytime i unlock the car (using keychain remote) the computer starts (unless its stopped in which case it ignores the button press).
      This helps with boot times as it takes a good 10 seconds before i actually get in the car and another 10 to start the engine strap on seatbelt etc. the system is generally started by the time ive backed out of the drive. To stop the system from booting at all (for servicing etc) all i got to do is remove the plug from the motherboard

The shutdown is controlled by a relay on the com port attatched to my ignition wire, if the ignition goes low for more than 5 seconds the computer shuts itself down (this gives time for cranking) The ignition that runs to the computer (and my amps) goes through a switch in my dash that can be turned to "on" for when your making a quick dash into the shops or whatever, "ignition" for normal use and "off" if going through a dodgy neighborhood where you dont want people to know you have a $3000 stereo system.
      Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

why make life so complicated. With the current Shutdown controller (either Opus, Mastero/Jeff) you can just get a rocker switch (I think that how it called) and a diode from any local store.
        Hook up the switch between the battery and the ACC line and the diode is on the ACC line AFTER the car ACC line and BEFORE the switch to prevent the power from running from battery to car ACC when the key is off.
        car ACC line --> Diode ---->\
        car BAT line --> Switch --->/--------- SDC ACC input.

Switch on --- Computer runs until battery die.
        Switch off --- Computer runs until SDC count down time expire after key off.
        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
          why make life so complicated. With the current Shutdown controller (either Opus, Mastero/Jeff) you can just get a rocker switch (I think that how it called) and a diode from any local store.
          Hook up the switch between the battery and the ACC line and the diode is on the ACC line AFTER the car ACC line and BEFORE the switch to prevent the power from running from battery to car ACC when the key is off.
          car ACC line --> Diode ---->\
          car BAT line --> Switch --->/--------- SDC ACC input.

Switch on --- Computer runs until battery die.
          Switch off --- Computer runs until SDC count down time expire after key off.

That is a great idea to keep the car on all day, but can the battery last all day or how many days can it last with the computer on (say if you used options like hibernation mode)? And Nic, I like your idea of starting your computer with the door lock control. I have even heard some people using remote starts as well.

Comment

In hibernate mode, the computer doesn't use power except the standby line. If you use opus PSU/shutdown controller, the PSU is on standby mode and will consume some juice. If you use Mastero/Jeff SDC, the power will cut off after X minutes so there is no power drain after that.
            If you use DC-DC PSU and drive the car again after couple hrs, I think it safe to leave the PC on. But again it all depend on your PC power consumption and how good is the car battery.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

In hibernate mode, the computer doesn't use power except the standby line. If you use opus PSU/shutdown controller, the PSU is on standby mode and will consume some juice. If you use Mastero/Jeff SDC, the power will cut off after X minutes so there is no power drain after that.
              If you use DC-DC PSU and drive the car again after couple hrs, I think it safe to leave the PC on. But again it all depend on your PC power consumption and how good is the car battery.

So let me get this straight, if I were using the Opus PSU and it goes into standby, the reboot up time is how long......a few seconds or will it be normal?. And does the computer go in standby mode or just the PSU?

Comment

opus will put the only computer into stand by and will re-boot in less than 5 secs. My questions is much power do GPS and wireless NIC take? I'm guessing about 5 watts each. Therefore you won't be able to have it in stand bye for long before the battery is dead, but the opus has a power check and will cut power if it gets below 11.5V

Comment

Originally posted by bertybassett
                  opus will put the only computer into stand by and will re-boot in less than 5 secs. My questions is much power do GPS and wireless NIC take? I'm guessing about 5 watts each. Therefore you won't be able to have it in stand bye for long before the battery is dead, but the opus has a power check and will cut power if it gets below 11.5V

That sounds perfect and exactly what I am looking for! I plan on doing a bare bones system with just MP3 only so I am not worried about power consumption or at least that will be the trial and error part. Thanks for your guy's help!

Comment

If you just put a computer in the car for MP3 only, you better of buying one of the car CD/MP3/WMA player and save yourself all the headache and cost.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

If you just put a computer in the car for MP3 only, you better of buying one of the car CD/MP3/WMA player and save yourself all the headache and cost.
                      I disagree. My system only does music and I have yet to find any pre-packaged solution that can do what I want (except for the expensive and now-rare Empeg.)

Comment

Well, it seems like everyone has his own style.

As for me, I have a remote starter alarm, and I don't want to turn on my carputer whenever starting the car, so the ideal with ITDS is out. Therefore, I wired my power PW-120w directly to the cigarette output, and I installed the on/off button. Turn it once --> carputer on, turn it once more --> carputer hibernate.
                        For the short trip and waiting time of booting, I also installed an indash DVD/VCD/MP3 head unit with A/V input (for the sound from the carputer).

So, here is the way I use both.

For the short trip, use the indash DVD/VCD/Mp3 head unit.
                        For the longer trip (more than 15 min), first use the indash head unit, then turn on the carputer. I could use both of them at the same time, GPS on the carputer, music on the head unit.

Unless you guys have a better carputer system, but for me the ideal of using GPS and listening to mp3 at the same time for the EPIA 800 is SUCKED. The sound is bad, broken, and the GPS acts like crazy. And DVD play back for the EPIA 800 is out of the question.

That is my setup, guys.

Comment

Yeah right! Show me a car mp3 player that has a 100 gig HD that I can store ALL of my music and doesn't have any idiosyncrasies of uplaoding and playing. Plus, I am going to use this to store just a few movies. And also, if I want to upgrade I can.

Comment

Everybody likes to have something different, something unique. So added complexity (and added features) are what some people are shooting for. It all depends what you're looking for. I don't want a prepackaged solution, and I don't want to just build the same setup as anyone else. It's good for innovation, it's good for car PCs in general.

I find it pretty interesting all the various ways people have come up with to interface with their PC. No one way is right.

To each their own.

Comment

gps is nowhere near 5 watts, my unit consumes 74mA at 5V = 0.01Watts
                              wifi cards probably do consume quite a bit though...
                              James
                              www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X