• Show
Clear All

• New Morex Car Power Regulator Kit

Have you guys seen this at www.idot.com:

Morex Car Power Regulator Kit

Input voltage: 11v - 15.5v, unregulated
    Output: 60W
    4A at 3.3v, 4.5A at 5v, 1.5A at 12v

It includes a regulator and a 60W DC-DC converter. May not survive crank, but it has a wider operating range than the ITPS.

Has anyone heard of this kit? Is this legitimate?

Comment

I had not seen it before now, so thanks for bringing it up.

It looks like they added a regulator to a 12 Volt DC-DC power supply. From looking at the specs it will do fine in a car, but it won’t survive a crank without a tank circuit, as the low drop-out voltage is 11 volts.

Comment

When reading the detailed spec's it states the input can only be between 11.5 and 12.6, and from looking at the componets it doesn't seem possible to do 11-16.

Comment

Originally posted by bambooracer
          Have you guys seen this at www.idot.com:

Morex Car Power Regulator Kit

Input voltage: 11v - 15.5v, unregulated
          Output: 60W
          4A at 3.3v, 4.5A at 5v, 1.5A at 12v

It includes a regulator and a 60W DC-DC converter. May not survive crank, but it has a wider operating range than the ITPS.
          Old news : http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20866
          Old Systems retired due to new car
          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Its a strange design but the unregulated supply goes into a connector on the DC-DC board, out to the daughter board and then back into the DC-DC board as a regulated 12v

The detailed input specs are for the DC-DC board itself which has an input range of 11.4-12.6v
            My CarPC install piccies http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgi-bin...at=561&thumb=1

Comment

I was looking at using this instead of RadioShack/Targus notebook adapter if I can upgrade to this power supply. Any disadvantages?

Comment

So, has anyone tried this yet? This seems like the best cheap solution for an ITX that I've seen in my few days of trying out the idea of a carputer.

Comment

this is my first post here but i have used this for informaton for a while on my car pc project.

i had the morex 60w with a itps and found the atx 12v dropped to 10v when the pc switched on so i orderd the new version with the regulator.

i have it installed but i am using the 12v mains block at the moment and i cant get it to post.

the 12v and 5v are ok and the cpu fan spins , lan card show activity but no post.

on the morex car kit it has 4 pins next to the regulator socket and also has 2 jumpers supplied with the kit but i cant find anything tellng me what they are for does anyone have any ideas ?

the morex.com.tw site has no information on it at all.

my setup is

epia 1000cl
                  512mb ram
                  40gb hdd
                  slim dvd
                  morex in car psu
                  lilliput 7inch touch screen

for audio i am testing on board sound , soundblaster mp3+ and herculese muse 5.1 usb.

also testing frodoplayer and media car which ever one supports the wintv usb radio first will be the one i go with also i do like frodoplayer.

Comment

Working...
                  X