DIY DC power supply???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY DC power supply???

So I was surfing around trying to find the pinouts on itx power supplies so I could use one of my spare dc power supplies for external devices... and I found this...

http://home.concepts-ict.nl/~cybersake/carmp3/

Complete plans to build your own DC power supply, don't know anything about electronics (well at least not putting together a power supply). But I thought someone here might find it useful.

I did a search on the website here and didn't come up with anything, but if this has been discussed before, sorry...

look for sproggy, good DIY stuff
    -
    My cars
    -

Comment

Originally posted by jol
      look for sproggy, good DIY stuff
      Yeah... seen it... no thanks, no DIY crap here... I have neither the time or patience for it, that and everytime I get a hold of a soldering iron I end up with 3rd degree burns , just hadn't seen it, and seemed like a decent design. Good for people to have options ya know?

Comment

Good for people to have options ya know?

Yup

Good find, thanks for the link. I wonder if it can survive the crank.

Comment

Look like it can survive the crank

The spec's of the supply are:
          Input voltage: 7.5...19V
          Transient protection by a 20V transient suppressor diode
          Output voltages:
          +5V / 5A -5V/0.2A (Step-down)
          +12V / 2A -12V 0.2A (Step-up and Step-down)

Comment

This is only an AT type PSU, most modern motherboards require an ATX compliant supply. But it looks good for what it does.

Comment

No worries none...that can always be converted as an ATX PSU

Just rip out the ATX function of a sproggy or something, mod here and there and you are done, not the end of the world

Comment

Ricky: how do you convert it to ATX?
                -Mars

Comment

The only difference between AT and ATX power supplies are the connectors on the motherboard. So, just use ATX connectors instead of AT.

Comment

atx also provides 3.3v
                    CarPC: Currently in progress...

Comment

ATX provides 3.3, 5, 12 and have a powerdown connection on the motherboard - it actually controlls itself on/off. Some 5V are still on when the system is off.
                      -Mars

Comment

Originally posted by ElPiloto
                        The only difference between AT and ATX power supplies are the connectors on the motherboard. So, just use ATX connectors instead of AT.
                        Complete rubbish.

5v standby.
                        3.3v
                        power good.
                        motherboard controlling the power on.

I suggest you read the ATX spec. The timings can be critical as the recent(ish) Epia/Sproggy experiences show.
                        Old Systems retired due to new car
                        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Ricky: how do you convert it to ATX?

As been said...follow the ATX requirement. Personally I havent done it, not exactly straight forward but it can be done.

Its probably easier to base your design using the sproggy. Rip out the sproggys regulator and replace it with this AT PSU regulator.

Hope that make sense

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
                            Its probably easier to base your design using the sproggy. Rip out the sproggys regulator and replace it with this AT PSU regulator.
                            How is this one superior to the Sproggy? Why do that? Just curious.

Comment

Probably not better but not man said >>> Good for people to have options ya know?

Also efficiency perhaps?

Check the datasheet :

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MC34167-D.PDF

Stepup/stepdown is achieved with a single coil and a mosfet...easier to find components than a transformer. While the sproggy derives its 12V from the regulated 5V by steping up...not that efficient?

Comment

Working...
                              X