Opus 90w Survives Crank!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus 90w Survives Crank!!!!!

When i was spec'ing parts i decided to go with the more expensive power supply (the opus) becasue of two reasons. 1 becasue power and power regulation is the single most important thing when your talking computers especially carputers and 2 because i didn't want to dick around with some circuit i had to build for the shutdown controler.

Boy am i happy that i did. Suprisingly the opus survived cranking in my car with no seperate tank circuit or anything. It is surprising becasue the stock stereo unit wouldnt survive a crank which i never noticed untill i began researching power supplys in the forum.

So i have the computer in a custom built box in my glove compartment. I have power run to the Power supply. I have a CDRW/DVD installed (looks factory installed) now all (out of the major comonents) I have to do is get the Lilliput installed. I started on it today and ended up breaking out the bondo. I will post some pics when it is complete (pretty soon i hope)
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

the stock stereo unit is made to turn off while you crank the engine, the acc wire in your car goes from high to low to switch off all the accesories and give the stater motor as much current as possible.
    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

He's Right You Know

Comment

Originally posted by Nic
        the stock stereo unit is made to turn off while you crank the engine, the acc wire in your car goes from high to low to switch off all the accesories and give the stater motor as much current as possible.
        That isn't true for all cars. My MINI Cooper S keeps the radio playing when I turn it on from the accesory position.

Twostep

Comment

Originally posted by Twostep
          That isn't true for all cars. My MINI Cooper S keeps the radio playing when I turn it on from the accesory position.

Twostep
          I think what Nic was saying was that IF your 'stock stereo' turns off when cranking, that it's because the manufacturers made it that way. Not that all cars do the same...

Why should it be surprising that the OPUS 90w survives cranking?? The input voltage range is from 7.5v to 18v! I can't remember seeing anybody on this board saying that any OPUS needs a seperate tank circuit!

Maybe you're mixing it up with something else?
          Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

For most people, the biggest selling point of the Opus is the fact that it is designed to survive a crank. A little bit of research here and you would not have been surprised.

Comment

The opus is made to be put in cop cars and ambulances as I recall it, therefore fitting our needs like a glove.. But before buying a opus as a solution for the crank issue, keep in mind that the battery and overall car condition is a more important factor. And acc power line
              -
              My cars
              -

Comment

Well i gues that makes sense then (stockl stereo made to shut off pourposely).

The only reason i was surprised that the opus survived a crank was becasue i was unaware the manufactures did this... Thus leading me to belive that if my stock stereo couldn't survive a crank that i probably would have problems...even with an opus.

I am fully aware of the specs on both popular power supplys around here.

The purpose of this post was provide some feedback to other people that are researching on what power supply to buy and to add some value to this board with my personal experience as i have not seen a definitive post that says opus will or willnot survive a crank. Correct me if i am wrong and post a link

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
                  Well i gues that makes sense then (stockl stereo made to shut off pourposely).

The only reason i was surprised that the opus survived a crank was becasue i was unaware the manufactures did this... Thus leading me to belive that if my stock stereo couldn't survive a crank that i probably would have problems...even with an opus.

I am fully aware of the specs on both popular power supplys around here.

The purpose of this post was provide some feedback to other people that are researching on what power supply to buy and to add some value to this board with my personal experience as i have not seen a definitive post that says opus will or willnot survive a crank. Correct me if i am wrong and post a link

Cheers
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ive#post162163
                  Laidback

Comment

I wondered if it would be one of my posts...i was searching for one of my posts regarding this when I saw this thread...but you beat me to it

I will go outside tonight and make a little video of my carputer with my 150W Opus surviving the crank

Garry
                    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
                      I wondered if it would be one of my posts...i was searching for one of my posts regarding this when I saw this thread...but you beat me to it

I will go outside tonight and make a little video of my carputer with my 150W Opus surviving the crank

Garry
                      Such fun!

We really need a sticky creating with the basic facts of an OPUS v ITPS + psu
                      Laidback

Comment

Exactly my point and the reason for me creating this thread. I agree on the sticky.

Laidback,
                        Thanks for the reference. Look at the name of the thread that you refernced. dc-dc UPS.

Know i did not read the post and excluded reading it becasue of the title. It has nothing to do with what i want to know yet there was some valuable information within it... Hence the reason for the clearly titled thread

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
                          Such fun!

Don't forget to add Sproggy and Arise (I think, still haven't found anyone complaining of Arise PSUs not surviving a crank) to that list, lest all newbies think you need to spend tons to survive a crank (because you don't!)

Comment

Originally posted by none
                            Don't forget to add Sproggy and Arise (I think, still haven't found anyone complaining of Arise PSUs not surviving a crank) to that list, lest all newbies think you need to spend tons to survive a crank (because you don't!)
                            PM me information about those power supplies, some advantages/disadvantages, and I'll add it to the FAQ i'm writing.

Garry
                            Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                            www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by none
                              Here's a post with a complaint that the Arise won't survive cranking...
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ight=arise+psu

99 Ford Ranger - Bagged and laying frame

Current Carputer project:
                              Done:
                              Custom mounted 7" LCD w/ TSK in radio bezel
                              Custom center console for relocated headunit
                              Via Epia M10000
                              GPS
                              MP3
                              OPUS PSU
                              DVD

Comment

Working...