Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Start

I've been lurking around the boards and umm hi :P
    Just wanted to add my .02. For anyone who doesn't know, remote start alarms are quite useful in the carputer world. You press a button on your remote, and your car starts (assuming your computer powers on with the car). Also nice for warming up the car in the winter. I recently bought a Clifford RSX 3.5 Matrix pager alarm with remote start. It ran me 300 because I got a good deal. Going to any big name company, expect to pay 5-600 (and if you have a standard transmission, it's not legal for them to install it on your car).
    Black '02 RSX-S

manual Trans

Its for good reason that remote start is not added to manual trans. My car will start and run in first gear with the emergecy brake fully engaged. I am looking for an electro-mechanical device that will "push" the gear shifter into neutral and verify its position before remote starting.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Car PC - If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.
    XAA289.com

Comment

lol yeah, I've been SOOO careful not to start it in gear
      But there is a semi-protection feature. When the car is still on, you can hit the star button twice, and leave the car running when you leave the car, ensuring that you are still in neutral as you walk away from the car. Another press will turn off the car.
      :P I've tried it, starting in gear results in ~5-10 MPH
      Black '02 RSX-S

Comment

bypass the clutch.

Comment

A clutch safty switch in many standard transmission cars will prevent the car from starting without the clutch pressed anyway.
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

if you bypass the clutch, and you leave it in gear, it'll start moving..
            and it's required if you have remote start in a stick.
            Black '02 RSX-S

Comment

Hey gang, there are dozens of models of remote starts and alarm/start combos for manual transmissions available. They have safety features to prevent in-gear starting. We install them every day here in Canada, and I personally have had a manual trans specific starter for 6 years.

Comment

the only one I know of is the Compustar 2-AWSS (I think that's the model) I heard that one was 6-700 installed
                Black '02 RSX-S

Comment

Originally posted by Asian Gang Lord
                  the only one I know of is the Compustar 2-AWSS (I think that's the model) I heard that one was 6-700 installed

Astrostart has a model www.astroflex.com
                  AutoStart has a bunch of models www.autostart.ca

As well as a few other manufacturers. The Compustar equates to about $700 CDN installed up here, most vehicles.

Comment

donchoya, you cant physically bypass the clutch. If you do, your car wont run. They have already electrically bypassed the clutch switch. That's how they install remote starts on sticks.
                    asian gang, $300 is that for the alarm itself or is that alarm and installed?
                    You dont need remote start alarms to remotely start your CarPC. All you need is any aftermarket alarm with an aux output.
                    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Ooooh I remember Astrostart.
                      actually $270 for alarm + install (+ 20 dollar immobilizer Acuras need)
                      Oh yeah, forgot about the aux output :P
                      :P the coolness factor of remote start is awfully high tho
                      Black '02 RSX-S

Comment

I have this installed in my Supra longgggg time ago 7 or 8 years.
                        The alarm is Viper 300+ESP and the Remote start module is Hornet/Viper valet (forgot the number). I bought the alarm and with the remote starter and the guy didn't install it for me because it a stick/manual car. They just don't want any legal problem if the remote start cause an accident.
                        After I went to 2 or 3 places and no one want to do it. So I bought it home and DIY.
                        To bypass the clutch, you can use relay and the "Output during activation" of the remote start module.
                        For safety in case of setting the trans in gear, I just wired the GROUND wire of the module to a NC lever switch and mount the switch by the shift boot. Anytime if the shifter is in neutral position, the switch is connect to ground so the remote start module has ground. Once the shifter out of position (in gear) the shift boot press on the switch which in turn cut ground to the module and the car can't start.
                        I am dring the car 99.9% of the time and my bro driving it the other 0.1% and he knew I have the remote star in the car so he didn't put it on gear when park so that good. But I always manual shutdown the remote start module before giving him the key.
                        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I have remote start on my celica as its got a clifford 600 fitted which included remote starting as a freebie add on There is a setting that the installers select which says if its a manual or auto. When set to manual the car cannot be remote started unless you

Park up, hit the shutdown button on the remote, get out the car, arm the alarm. The car then shuts down ready to be remote started upon your return.

It does mean that if you have forgotten to go through this proceedure that you can't remote start the car, which is a pain in the rear as it will always be on those times when you'ed like to remote start it
                          My CarPC install piccies http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgi-bin...at=561&thumb=1

Comment

I bought a crimestopper, model I cant remember but it has been working great from the day I installed it, 1 yr ago. I can start my car from inside the factory where I work. Pretty amazing if you ask me since it is all steal walls, and cinder block.

Comment

i have it on my 6sp celica w/a clifford avantguard 4

i made this little diagram to do a in gear override of remote start, but can't find the right magnets for the shifter since the ones i foudn were too strong

Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
                              Mods: Yep
                              Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Working...
                              X