DC-DC converters...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC-DC converters...

What if I need a DC-DC converter like the ITPS but for a 24V application, IE the kit sold by civic duties... is there a way to get that kind of supplies?

maybe the ITPS can support 24V out?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    -Mars

Any ideas?

I was thinking that I could put a 12-24V converter at the output of the ITPS?
    -Mars

Comment

Power Supply for 10.4" kiosk

Originally posted by Marsupial
      Any ideas?

I was thinking that I could put a 12-24V converter at the output of the ITPS?
      Have you had any luck figuring out how to power civicduty's kiosk in the car? I found this on ebay, but am not sure if the 24v is regulated and it is only rated for 60w.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...192413056&rd=1

Thanks

Comment

24VDC PSUs should be easier to find than 12VDC ones. 24VDC is common in industrial applications.

I know Keypower makes some. Probably Arise and many others also.

Comment

Originally posted by eCarô
          24VDC PSUs should be easier to find than 12VDC ones. 24VDC is common in industrial applications.

I know Keypower makes some. Probably Arise and many others also.
          I looked into Keypower, Arise, and several others. The problem is that they do not have 24V as an output option. So far, the universal laptop power supply from ebay is the best solution. It has 24V @ 2.9A, but the rest of your peripherals still need power.

Anybody else find anything?

Comment

Originally posted by e_z_street
            I looked into Keypower, Arise, and several others. The problem is that they do not have 24V as an output option. So far, the universal laptop power supply from ebay is the best solution. It has 24V @ 2.9A, but the rest of your peripherals still need power.

Anybody else find anything?
            I was confused. I thought he was looking for a 24VDC PSU.

Comment

What exactly are you doing? Why do you need 24v? Do you have a device that requires 24v, and if so, how much current?

If you have a device that requires 24v, you might find that inside they unit, they are converting that 24v to something lower like 12v, or even 5v.

Let us know.
              Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
              Syntax SV266AD KT266A
              AMD Athlon XP 2000
              Viking 256MB DDR
              D-Link Wireless 802.11B
              Seagate 120GB
              OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
              SII Wireless Audio Link
              Digimoto OBD-II
              Earthmate GPS
              BU-303 USB GPS
              D-Link Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey
                What exactly are you doing? Why do you need 24v? Do you have a device that requires 24v, and if so, how much current?

If you have a device that requires 24v, you might find that inside they unit, they are converting that 24v to something lower like 12v, or even 5v.

Let us know.

The device Marsupial and I are talking about is described in this thread:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...highlight=10.5

It requires 24V @ 3A. So far we have a simple ac solution for home testing, which is a 30V ac-to-dc adapter (Model: 273-1668) from radio shack. And we have a universal laptop adapter from ebay that gives 24V @ 2.9A. This works to power the pc, but now Marsupial wants to know about how to control the power supply like an ITPS would. I don't have the kiosk, but also want to know how to power all of the peripherals (i.e. ide slim slot dvd player, etc).

Thanks

Comment

Thats nice... I guess they're using a DC/DC converter inside that unit to provide the necessary dc voltages for the board, etc. Do you have schematics of this unit, mainly the PS? Are the dimensions of the PS the same as a normal one?

There is no easy way to change 12dc into 24dc, but there are ways to get this to work. By the way, are these still available?
                  Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
                  Syntax SV266AD KT266A
                  AMD Athlon XP 2000
                  Viking 256MB DDR
                  D-Link Wireless 802.11B
                  Seagate 120GB
                  SII Wireless Audio Link
                  Digimoto OBD-II
                  Earthmate GPS
                  BU-303 USB GPS
                  D-Link Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey
                    Thats nice... I guess they're using a DC/DC converter inside that unit to provide the necessary dc voltages for the board, etc. Do you have schematics of this unit, mainly the PS? Are the dimensions of the PS the same as a normal one?

There is no easy way to change 12dc into 24dc, but there are ways to get this to work. By the way, do you have these units?

I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy one. I want to figure out how to power the thing correctly before I buy it for my car. Although, I might buy one for home use as an mp3 jukebox/home theater controller. I don't have any schematics as of yet, but if you read through the thread that I listed above, there are some links to pictures, etc.

Thanks

Comment

I didn't look at that kiosk very closely. But I believe that you could simply swap the 24VDC PSU for a 12VDC or 110/220VAC PSU and inverter.

Comment

Thats what i'm thinking, swapping the ps out for one that works, might be the easiest, cheapest way.

Is kiosk the manufacture name?

I just emailed the guy, that would be great in a wall by my throne (toiiet)
                        Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
                        Syntax SV266AD KT266A
                        AMD Athlon XP 2000
                        Viking 256MB DDR
                        D-Link Wireless 802.11B
                        Seagate 120GB
                        SII Wireless Audio Link
                        Digimoto OBD-II
                        Earthmate GPS
                        BU-303 USB GPS
                        D-Link Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by eCarô
                          I didn't look at that kiosk very closely. But I believe that you could simply swap the 24VDC PSU for a 12VDC or 110/220VAC PSU and inverter.
                          I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The board is designed to run on 24V DC @ 3A (This is basically a laptop mobo, which some are designed to run on 24V). I'm not sure if the thing will boot with a 12V input. Is that what you are suggesting? As far as the inverter route, I personally would not do that because I don't want to add anymore noise or heat to my car.

Marsupial - I'm still looking. It would be cool to find a DC-DC power supply with 12V input and 5V, 12V, 3.3V, and 24V output. I think ITPS will work with either this setup or the universal laptop supply from ebay because they have 12V input.

Comment

I have been doing a lot of power testing on the unit lately, and so far the best way I have found is using a "universal laptop DC-DC converter" - I have seen those on ebay for about 30$, they supply up to 24V.

I've tested it on the unit successfully, powered by a cig-lighter out of a battery pack (no cig lighter in my car).

I also tested to put lower voltage value in the unit.... the "laptop" motherboard inside the unit requires having 16V, so the IO board that runs at 24V can still power the computer if you go down, but cannot turn on when applying less then 16V. I would suspect instability at lower then 24V, but I could run. There is a need to mention that the 24V IO board seams to supply power to the mainboard, the fans and the touchscreen, while the mainboard would supply power to the VGA screen, hard drive and other peripherals.

I think the best way would be

12V - ITPS - DC-DC to 24V - Computer.
                            the thing I am unsure at the moment is how to control the shutdown of the system...

This computer is weird, when shutdown, the laptop board is OFF, but the IO board is still on, so are the fans.

I would require a way to control power to this board... the 24V. It would need to be ON when the car turns ON, but to turn OFF when I shutdown the computer...
                            -Mars

Comment

Working...
                            X