regulating morex 60w psu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regulating morex 60w psu

I have morex 60w psu and (like we all know) it doesn't regulate 12v output, so I thought something like this:

Maybe I just regulate the 12v output? (put PT5071 between psu and motherboard atx-connector)

Would this work? Only problem I can think is that if psu can't handle ~14V that my alternator puts out.

Has anybody tried this?

Edit:
    This way you would need only 1 PT5071, not 4 of them... and I believe it would survive cranking...
    Attached Files

Originally posted by vvog
    I have morex 60w psu and (like we all know) it doesn't regulate 12v output, so I thought something like this:

Maybe I just regulate the 12v output? (put PT5071 between psu and motherboard atx-connector)

Would this work? Only problem I can think is that if psu can't handle ~14V that my alternator puts out.

Has anybody tried this?
    i was just asking about that too... regulating 12V on a non-regulating PSU... be interested for sure!

Comment

Has anybody tried this?

Edit:
      This way you would need only 1 PT5071, not 4 of them... and I believe it would survive cranking...
      The Morex PSU takes in 11.6-12.6VDC. Which means your regulator needs to be inbetween the Battery and PSU, else your PSU will fry sooner than expected.

I tried out using GingerPrince's 12VDC Regulator diagram and it has been working well regulating 14.6VDC 4.6A to 12VDC output.

Have fun
      MediaCar
      Girder with Igor plugin

EPIA-ME6000 w 256MB DDR
      Morex 55W PSU
      12VDC Regulator
      IBM DJSA-220 20GB
      90% completed in a plastic case (8"x10"x2.5")

Comment

Originally posted by SportivoWISH
        The Morex PSU takes in 11.6-12.6VDC. Which means your regulator needs to be inbetween the Battery and PSU, else your PSU will fry sooner than expected.

I tried out using GingerPrince's 12VDC Regulator diagram and it has been working well regulating 14.6VDC 4.6A to 12VDC output.

Have fun
        You probably will find this interesing http://www.idotpc.com/TheStore/Perip...ct.status=blue

Brave
        Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
        Status -->
        Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
        BraveCar 2.5

Comment

Originally posted by Bravellir
          You probably will find this interesing http://www.idotpc.com/TheStore/Perip...ct.status=blue

Brave
          Thanks for the link, Brave!

I'm building similar regulator to my psu.
          Specs on that dc/dc-board @IDOTpc.com are same as the normal morex 60w.

So I guess morex psu will survive car battery output.(10V-15V)

Specs for regulator @IDOTpc.com:
          Input Voltages Required (V): DC 11.0 ~ 15.5
          Output Voltage (V): DC 12.0 (+/- 5%)
          Output Current (A): 1.5A
          Peak Current (A): 2.0A

So it only regulates psu's 12V output(1.5A, 1 PT5071 regulator can be used.) http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pt5071.pdf

I have done some testing with fluke and I think I know where to put the regulator. (not going to put it after psu as mentioned in first post.)

Comment

Regulator completed!

I completed building the regulator.

So far I have tested it with mascot 5-15v power supply. Computer boots without problems @ 9-15V input voltage. I even tried to lower the supply voltage to <7V when computer was on, no effect!(only mascot started to make some noise, because current draw was too much i guess)

Output voltages (12, 5, 3.3, -12) were perfect at the test time.

I post some pictures when I have my camera with me.

Comment

I completed building the regulator.

So far I have tested it with mascot 5-15v power supply. Computer boots without problems @ 9-15V input voltage. I even tried to lower the supply voltage to <7V when computer was on, no effect!(only mascot started to make some noise, because current draw was too much i guess)

I post some pictures when I have my camera with me.

please do
              Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
              Status -->
              Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
              BraveCar 2.5

Comment

Ok. here's link to the pictures: link
                Attached Files

Comment

vvog, parts list? and also which pins on the regulator did those wires connect to? (schematic like pin 5 - regulator output etc)
                  New Lilliput EBY701 For Sale http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?c...at=TOUCHSCREEN
                  SiRF3 Bluetooth GPS http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?cat=GPS

Comment

I noticed you copied some of the design from the ipod site, but how do you know where to cut on the morex for the unregulated +12 in and regulated +12 out?

And how did you figure out the 2 capacitor sizes (I noticed one of them is 100uM) but what's M?

And white Axicom chip, whats that for?
                    New Lilliput EBY701 For Sale http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?c...at=TOUCHSCREEN

Comment

That white Axicom "chip" is relay which controls regulator.

Those capasitors are 100 uF tantalum capacitors, size is described in datasheet.

You can find schematic for the regulator from here:
                      http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pt5071.pdf (reference design)
                      Only difference in my circuit is that I use relay to connect PT5071's pin 3(shutdown) to ground when computer is off, in datasheet they use transistor.

The relay is connected so that when relay's coil is not powered, relays opening contacts connect pin 3 to ground. When relay is powered, contacts are open, so pin 3 is not connected. +12V on relay's coil comes from old 12V line on dc-dc board (unregulated).

I used multimeter to trace 12v line (line that is powered only when computer is on) in the dc-dc board to find where to cut old wire.(and where to connect new regulated 12v wire)

Comment

Amazing work Ville, great work.

The axicom chip, which one is the part number? D2n or v23105?

And when you said " have done some testing with fluke and I think I know where to put the regulator" I was impressed. What's the difference between putting it there and putting it before the PSU though?

I'm wondering if it can be done with the PW70's as well.

(i PMed you because i didnt think you'll be back, since you had only 10 posts =P)

Comment

Originally posted by masch
                          Amazing work Ville, great work.

The axicom chip, which one is the part number? D2n or v23105?

And when you said " have done some testing with fluke and I think I know where to put the regulator" I was impressed. What's the difference between putting it there and putting it before the PSU though?

I'm wondering if it can be done with the PW70's as well.
                          Thanks!

I googled with axicom and d2n and found datasheet for the relay. But I guess it doesn't matter what relay is used I just happened to have one of these.

Difference in putting regulator on the dc-dc board and after it is that atleast in morex board there is chip that monitors voltages. Way I put the regulator, monitoring chip gets regulated 12V, so it thinks that supply voltage is 12V (not 9-14V as it is in car).

I believe that only component in morex dc-dc board that don't like car environment is this monitoring chip (I googled the components and some of them tolerate even 40V input). I'm not sure, but it works in with my system... *knocks wood*

I don't know if it can be done with PW70, and not even sure that this wont break morex psu. (I'm just newbie with electronics and I'm sure that forum has much more electrical-wise people, who can tell why this should not be done)

Originally posted by masch
                          (i PMed you because i didnt think you'll be back, since you had only 10 posts =P)
                          Even if my post count is low, I have been almost everyday visitor since last summer, so I guess that I can't stay away... but now i've been out of town for couple of days (and will be some more) so it's difficult to get online.

Comment

Reading your post again I think I'm understanding it a little bit more. (I still dont understand the relay part though)

The existance of the monitoring chip could be because of something important no? If you feed a regulated 12V via the PT5071 to the monitoring chip and "trick" it to think its receiving 12V when its actually 9V-15V, wont it affect the 5V regulator and all the other regulators?

Did you try what output at the 12V PSU out when input is 14.4V?
                            or what output at the 12V PSU out when input at 9V?

If its working then that monitoring chip must have really underestimated its own capabilities.. but now I understand how you got the idea to trick the monitorng chip based on Morex's own designs.

Comment

The existance of the monitoring chip could be because of something important no? If you feed a regulated 12V via the PT5071 to the monitoring chip and "trick" it to think its receiving 12V when its actually 9V-15V, wont it affect the 5V regulator and all the other regulators?
                              Actually i won't trick the monitoring chip, because the 12V line will be 12V. (monitoring chip only needs to know what voltages will go to motherboard) Regulators for other voltages (3.3V, 5V) will tolerate 9-15V input, so all outputvoltages are fine with that input range.

Did you try what output at the 12V PSU out when input is 14.4V?
                              or what output at the 12V PSU out when input at 9V?
                              All voltages were measured from ATX-connector in the psu, so those are the voltages that goes to motherboard.

Monitoring chip is TI's TPS3511. linky
                              Here's some features:
                              Overvoltage Protection and Lockout for 12 V, 5 V, 3.3 V
                              Undervoltage Protection and Lockout for 5 V and 3.3 V
                              Fault Protection Output With Open-Drain Output Stage
                              Open-Drain Power Good Output Signal for Power Good Input, 3.3 V and 5 V
                              Power Good Delay; 300-ms TPS3510, 150-ms TPS3511
                              75-ms Delay for 5-V and 3.3-V Power Supply Short-Circuit Turnon Protection
                              2.3-ms (PSON)\ Control to (FPO)\ Turnoff Delay
                              38-ms (PSON)\ Control Debounce
                              73-Ás Width Noise Deglitches
                              Wide Supply Voltage Range From 4 V to 15 V
                              TPS3511 monitors voltages for over- and undervoltage. If output isn't right, TPS3511 will shutdown the computer. If input is lower than 7V, I guess that atleast 5V and 12V(and maybe 3.3V)will go under the range and psu will shutdown.

Comment

Working...
                              X