Powerup Inverter question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerup Inverter question

My CD Kenwood CD deck, there is a BLUE going to the Amp to power it up.
    Can I tap into that line to power on/off my inverter with a relay?

12v from Headunit to Relay (86) ß Relay code
    12v from the Battery to 30A fuse to Relay (30)
    From Relay (87) to 30A fuse to Inverter
    From Relay (85) to Car frame to Ground

Do I need a Diode after tap in 12v BLUE wire before it goes to the Relay?
    So that way there won’t be any power from the Iverter flow back to my Speaker Amp.
    Hopefully I explained it clearly.

Thanks,
    ICET

No diode is needed for the situation you described.
    It is, however, recommended to wire a diode parallel to the relay's coil that would be in reverse of positive/negative. (Positive) --|<|-- (Ground).
    I am not sure what the current is on the remote wire you're asking about, if it is enough to keep a relay powered, without burning anything. Read what the current rating for it is.
    Why not simply find an ACC wire and use that? Your radio should have one coming into it. Those are usually 10Amp + rated.

P.S.
    I am not sure about the relay wire numbers, as I am used to seeing them on diagrams.

Comment

Thanks for the reply
      So u r saying that if I tap in ACC wire to the Radio then I don’t need any Diode parallel to the relay?
      I got it from Autozone 30A Relay…
      I plan to get it from Radioshack but this one is like 2 bucks cheaper….
      Thanks…

Comment

You don't need diode if you just tap to the ACC wire of the radio or the remote amp of the radio. I think the BLU wire has enough power to turn on the relay and an amp. My Alpine radio can turn on the 2 amps, 1 equalizer, and a relay.
        You may have to put a diode on 85 and 86 (coil) of the relay. Which way the diode should be, well, the end with the stripe is to the + side (86 in your case).
        Best way to find the ACC wire in the car is the CIG lighter/AUXilliary power port.
        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

just to make sure that i understood u guys...
          attached is the picture...i drew...

thanks for the help
          icet
          Attached Files

Comment

The diode would go to 85, 86 connectors. 85 has the stripe going the right way.
            The reason for it, the relay's coil may send a reverse pulse when it is untriggered.

Comment

Originally posted by icet
              My CD Kenwood CD deck, there is a BLUE going to the Amp to power it up.
              Can I tap into that line to power on/off my inverter with a relay?

12v from Headunit to Relay (86) ß Relay code
              12v from the Battery to 30A fuse to Relay (30)
              From Relay (87) to 30A fuse to Inverter
              From Relay (85) to Car frame to Ground

Do I need a Diode after tap in 12v BLUE wire before it goes to the Relay?
              So that way there won’t be any power from the Iverter flow back to my Speaker Amp.
              Hopefully I explained it clearly.

Thanks,
              ICET
              I was wondering why you would not just put in an inline switch to from the battery to inverter. That way you could just flip a switch to turn it on. Do does you inverter survive the crank and have you figured out a way to get the computer to do a soft shutdown with an inverter.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lookitslo
                I was wondering why you would not just put in an inline switch to from the battery to inverter. That way you could just flip a switch to turn it on. Do does you inverter survive the crank and have you figured out a way to get the computer to do a soft shutdown with an inverter.
                Thanks

because i want to use to headunit on/off button to power everthing that hook up to my inverter so i don't have to flip too many switches.
                thanks...

Comment

Better than a relay...
                  http://home.comcast.net/~zootjeff/shutdown/

Comment

Your relay idea was good, but the shutdown controller was a much better idea.

How about using the blue +12v output to trigger the shutdown controllers acc line. Then the PC powers on with your ICE and cleanly shuts down 5 mins after you turn off your ICE.

Just a thought

Craig
                    Audi S8 supercar
                    Modded Xbox 400GB HD
                    Rear 7" screen & navplus

Toyota Hiace Van
                    Shuttle PIII 866 256Mb 10GB OPUS powered
                    MediaCar & Mappoint 2004
                    Custom fit 7" TFT VGA TSK

Comment

ok 2 diodes, 85 and 86
                      will these diodes from radioshack works?
                      http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=276-1661
                      if u guys explained how to install it, i am really appricated..
                      will install this afternoon..
                      thanks

Comment

Originally posted by icet
                        ok 2 diodes, 85 and 86
                        will these diodes from radioshack works?
                        http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=276-1661
                        if u guys explained how to install it, i am really appricated..
                        will install this afternoon..
                        thanks

It is one diode, not two. 6Amp one would be an overkill. 1A-3A will be fine.

Since the question of using a controller was brought up, what are you going to use your inverter for? Is it a PC or a Game Station (XBox, PS2)?

Comment

one diode go on 85 the ground wire...man i am dumn...ehhehehe
                          it is for pc for now but i plan to hook up xbox to it as well
                          u guys are such a great help
                          thanks
                          icet

Comment

If it is a PC, you will have a problem with shutting it down. The hard power cut is not recommended.

Comment

oh i plan to make a power button to hibernate the pc, so i push the pc power button before i turn pull out the car key, once key is out, there is no power to headunit, therefore no power to inverter, everything should be off. The headunit never turn off, so when i start the car back on again, everything should turn on by setting in the bios.
                              The reason i chose this way is that i can eliminate one switch, and my inverter do not survice the crank...i don't know how to make it survice yet...i read and search in this forum for a long time now...but i still confused, it seem like everyone has different opinion doing thing...but anyway will my plan still work?
                              thanks...

Comment

Working...
                              X