Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using the carputer while the ignition is shut off?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the carputer while the ignition is shut off?

Whenever I want to listen to the radio in my car while the engine isn't running I usually turn the ignition switch off (counter clockwise) to the position it was in before starting the car and then turn it another turn counter-clockwise. Are there any disadvantages to this method to power on the carputer when it's wired through the ignition switch while the engine is shut off?

Originally posted by XMfan
    Whenever I want to listen to the radio in my car while the engine isn't running I usually turn the ignition switch off (counter clockwise) to the position it was in before starting the car and then turn it another turn counter-clockwise. Are there any disadvantages to this method to power on the carputer when it's wired through the ignition switch while the engine is shut off?

I take it no one knows the answer to this one? I've searched this forum and couldn't find an exact answer. Perhaps someone could shed some light on this? Thanks!

Comment

well what kind of car you have and how is the Ignition switch arrangement?
      By your description, it seem your lock is like this: LOCK/OFF - ACC - ON - START and you want to run the computer when the key is at ACC. The problem with this method is that your change of draining the battery, and the ACC circuit may not have power when the key is at START (cranking). If you use a shutdown controller, you won't have problem with connect to ACC circuit.
      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

So, if I understand correctly, you switch to ignition on but without the engine running?
        1) All electronics in the car will be active and drain quite a bit of power (since usually in this position, the alternator is providing power),
        2) If you have an old car with mechanical ignition interruptor, you have the risk of overloading the pulse transformer.

As a solution to this problem, you could connect the shutdowncontroller to the ACC wire, or to the amplifier on/off line from the head-unit...

white bream
        working on a trilogy: CARGO - UNIGO - MERGO
        CARGO = the Car Computer
        Intel Celeron M, [P]SDC, uBlox GPS, GPRS, WLAN, Silabs FM, RDS, TMC,
        Dual-audio, Onecable TFT, Microsize: 45 x 108 x 168mm (1.8 x 4.3 x 6.6")

Comment

Working...
        X