Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a stock 60w DC-DC board sufficient for the car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a stock 60w DC-DC board sufficient for the car?

I have a Morex 2699 case and am setting everything up out of the truck right now. It has been running for a week non-stop without any locking up / heat issues. I have a 3.5" 160gb full size drive in the case.

I am assuming the components are running off the 60W DC-DC board even though the power is coming from the adaptor I have plugged in the wall? Right?

I am wanting to get an ITPS to use as my startup/shutdown controller and 12v regulation. I am reading about 90w and 150w DC-DC power solutions. I am wondering why anyone needs such a high amount of power when most Mini-ITX cases come stock with 60w boards in them? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I am assuming when I move my setup from the adaptor in the wall to the vehicle power source, nothing should really change much? Am I understanding this correctly? Thx...
    1999 Mercedes ML430 - Epia M10000, OPUS 90w, 512mb, 160gb, Deluo GPS, SB Audigy 2 NX, 7" Lilliput TS

Try searching for a calculator to determine how much power you will be using. I think I found one at www.mini-itx.com. I went ahead and bought the OPUS 90, a little more than I may need but after reading on here for a while I wanted to go with the OPUS. BTW I grew up in Sugar Land.....

Comment

Originally posted by ML430
      I have a Morex 2699 case and am setting everything up out of the truck right now. It has been running for a week non-stop without any locking up / heat issues. I have a 3.5" 160gb full size drive in the case.

I am assuming the components are running off the 60W DC-DC board even though the power is coming from the adaptor I have plugged in the wall? Right?

I am wanting to get an ITPS to use as my startup/shutdown controller and 12v regulation. I am reading about 90w and 150w DC-DC power solutions. I am wondering why anyone needs such a high amount of power when most Mini-ITX cases come stock with 60w boards in them? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I am assuming when I move my setup from the adaptor in the wall to the vehicle power source, nothing should really change much? Am I understanding this correctly? Thx...
      Well hello ML430 from another Houston-ite.... To be honest I am not sure exactly what you are saying or asking.... But as far as changing from a "wall adaptor" to "vehicle power".... I agree that shouldn't change anything.... you will pull the amps from either the adaptor or the car battery..... Your PSU must be able to supply the amps needed, what kind of power supply is it? One of those Morex deals? I know next to nothing about them....

But what intrigues me is how are you running from a wall adaptor? You must have a damn long extension cord, or be driving in a very tight circle....

I personally am building my second carputer for my Corvette.... the first one was okay, but sat in the back hatch area with a 5.6 LCD in the dash.... too many wires and too not OEM looking for me... that has been ripped out and am working on Version 2.0 which will be totally in dash.... just got a lot of squishing to do....

I already have an ITPS and I can tell you it does NO regulation of the 12V line.... it feeds it directly through as it gets it from the battery..... Which might be a problem for your 3.5" HD, I just finished building a 12V 1.5A / 5V 5A output PSU for my Xenarc screen and powered USB hub..... And I also have the M10000 which I understand uses no 12VDC....

Good luck with the system...

Comment

I guess my question in a nutshell is: "If I were going to experience any power issues w/the motherboard, drives, accessories - wouldn't I see those power issues with the 60ww DC-DC board that is in the case right now while it is plugged into the wall using the 12v DC adaptor?"

BTW, dug1967, I also have a '98 Corvette Convertible and contemplated putting a carputer in that but the GM 1.5 Din slot isn't conducive to a 7" ts... So I went out and got me the Benz, just to have a nice double din slot to work with... It will be nice for the road trips to, able to handle more than just 1 passenger
        1999 Mercedes ML430 - Epia M10000, OPUS 90w, 512mb, 160gb, Deluo GPS, SB Audigy 2 NX, 7" Lilliput TS

Comment

Yeah you should of seen any problems arise during your testing if its hooked up as it would in the vehicle with the exception that its on wall power excpt batt
          2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4DR
          Aleroputer 90% done (ripped out and being rewired)
          MYMODS:
          Pioneer Head unit in a remote location, Clarion Amp, XM Satilite Radio, 2 10" Audiobahn DVC Subs wired 1 ohm in a bandpass box, Grill Mesh, Halo Guages

Comment

It would take a very big power adapter to match the characteristics of a car battery. A car battery can supply only 12 volts, but HEAPS of amps. Your power adapter at the most, can supply 1.2 amps (even those ones are large)
            Still, my car pc only sucks up 0.8amp while its idling.

I have the EPIA 6000M with one 40gig drive and a stock Ituner 60watt power supply plugged into the motherboard. And I had these dramas when i started it up:-

Using the Ituner 60w, plugged into the motherboard, and one 40gig hdd and a cd rom running, Couldnt even get to the XP prompt to install xp from the CD.

Then added a sproggy power supply, so the cd rom was running off that.
            The Ituner was still running the hdd and MB.

Got further, but as soon as the hdd tried to do a format, it hung.

I then put both drives power supplys on the sproggy, and the Ituner supply on the MB alone.
            Now the system is faultless.

I really think the 60watt supply....is more like 40watts :P

If your worried that your adapter doesnt give the Ituner 60watt supply enough power, measure the voltage going into the 60w and make sure its at least 11.8v. Less than that and the power adapter isnt fit for it.
            Ford XR6T blueprint 4.0 L twin cam turbo.
            Xenarc 7" touchscreen M10000 Audigy 2 NX
            ITX 120W PS 80gig HD, 256MB Ram, USB wireless internet/LAN
            Griffin Powermate Panasonic DVD-CDW
            Pioneer 5x7 Four way, 2x12 pioneer subz
            600watt 6chan USA audio AMP

Comment

Working...
            X