cigarette lighter help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cigarette lighter help

Ok, so what i figured to be the easiest part of the whole thing.. as usual.. is not.

I'm using a 150 W OPUS and I just plan on running power to it from the cigarette lighter.. so I cut the end off an old radar detector adaptor and soldered some wires onto the leads... but didn't get a voltage reading from them.. i got the right voltages when i put the leads directly in to the cigarette lighter (of course), but no voltage off the leads of the adaptor.. and ideas?
    VIA EPIA 533 MHz
    256 MB RAM
    7" Lilliput VGA Touchscreen
    20 gig HD
    Media Engine 2.1.4
    GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
    802.11b Connectivity

Originally posted by Nav_Attack
    Ok, so what i figured to be the easiest part of the whole thing.. as usual.. is not.

I'm using a 150 W OPUS and I just plan on running power to it from the cigarette lighter.. so I cut the end off an old radar detector adaptor and soldered some wires onto the leads... but didn't get a voltage reading from them.. i got the right voltages when i put the leads directly in to the cigarette lighter (of course), but no voltage off the leads of the adaptor.. and ideas?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!
    put everything back the way it was....
    Your cigarette adapter will not supply enough power to your opus, that is Why in the instructions, that you should have recieved in PDF format says to hook it up directly to the battery. You now may have to check your fuses in your fuse box. Shame on you, do not do that again!!! (I'm a teacher...can you tell?)
    then attach the red wire from the opus to the battery
    then the black wire from the opus to the battery
    the yellow wire is the wire that gets attached to 12 volt source (either found under your dash (ACC wire) or you can also find a 12 volt source in your fuse box...you can buy little fuse box a adapters that you crimp one end of you wire to, and then shove it in the fuse box just like a fuse to get that 12 volt. All the opus is doing is using that 12 volt yellow wire to know when to turn all the juice on. So as soon as it detects the 12 volts in the yellow wire, it turns the power on the power supply and powers your motherboard. It needs to have continuos 12 volt power to stay on...if it does not...it will turn off!

follow steps below!

Get it?

GO to your local auto shop and pick up a 12 volt probe. After you get that you want to find a wire that will light up that 12 volt probe in your crank position of your keys as well as your on position of your key.

man...don't make it any more difficult than it already is!
    BossTone74

Comment

If it stresses you out that much, maybe technical support isn't your forte?

Comment

Originally posted by Bama5150
        If it stresses you out that much, maybe technical support isn't your forte?
        I don't want the guy to fry his ****...do you?
        BossTone74

Comment

hm.. so when i posted a while back (months and months ago).. people seemed to think it was OK.. the only problem they really talked about was the regulation, but the opus seemed to be fine over the ranges the cigarette lighter put out.. so i guess thats not the case?

so you're saying i have to get +12 and ground wires from somewhere under the dash, and can use the fuse box for the accessory wire?

can i use the fuse box for all the wires?
          VIA EPIA 533 MHz
          256 MB RAM
          20 gig HD
          Media Engine 2.1.4
          GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
          802.11b Connectivity

Comment

Is your cigarette lighter switched? or is it on all the time?

Comment

It should be ran directly to the battery, I have man running off god knows what in my car. I spliced into some wires after probing and called it a day(i know, i know... shame on me).

Every thing runs fine but my opus 90w doesn't survive a crank. So alas i must drill through the firewall and run it correctly.

Cheers
              -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

YOu NEED to run the MAIN power off of the battery...RED POSSITIVE, BLACK NEGATIVE. the yellow wire is the wire that needs to hook up to a 12 volt source either under the dash, or fuse box.

This is one reason "Antimatters" is not working correctly, because he is not getting his power directly from the battery.

Antimatter- you should beable to find some rummer gromets that you could poke some holes through rather than drilling...at least that's what I did.
                BossTone74

Comment

ok, yellow wire, got it -- ignition... dash. done.

now with regards to the 12v/ground wires from the battery. im assumign you dont mean i should pop the hood, tie wires to the battery leads, run them into the car, and hook them up to the opus.. so where do i splice into the battery? (dash, fuse box, some where else?)

to sort of guide your explanation.. i can read schematics, etc. i just dont know jack about cars.
                  VIA EPIA 533 MHz
                  256 MB RAM
                  20 gig HD
                  Media Engine 2.1.4
                  GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
                  802.11b Connectivity

Comment

ok, so i've just about given up on trying to do this myself, gonna get it done tomorrow at a local stereo shop..

just so i know what im getting done, if someone could just verify this for me, one last time.

the three wires i need are
                    +12 (from battery)
                    ground (from battery)

and IGN -- not ACC, right?
                    VIA EPIA 533 MHz
                    256 MB RAM
                    20 gig HD
                    Media Engine 2.1.4
                    GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
                    802.11b Connectivity

Comment

ok, yellow wire, got it -- ignition... dash. done.

now with regards to the 12v/ground wires from the battery. im assumign you dont mean i should pop the hood, tie wires to the battery leads, run them into the car, and hook them up to the opus.. so where do i splice into the battery? (dash, fuse box, some where else?)

to sort of guide your explanation.. i can read schematics, etc. i just dont know jack about cars.
                      Yes I mean you WILL need to pop the hood, run some long wire...(I think 12 gauge...someone help me) through the firewall....(the wall between your engine compartment and your dash) and wire it to you battery. You will probably find some gromets (rubber types of gaskets) that may have some wires going through them already, pop another couple of small holes through the gromet, and fish your wire through it. then pull it up to your battery, and MAKE SURE YOU PUT AN INLINE FUSE (30amp) ON IT 12 V side closest to the battery terminal...if you don't and you make a mistake...it WILL be costly!
                      BossTone74

Comment

ok, so i've just about given up on trying to do this myself, gonna get it done tomorrow at a local stereo shop..

just so i know what im getting done, if someone could just verify this for me, one last time.

the three wires i need are
                        +12 (from battery)
                        ground (from battery)

and IGN -- not ACC, right?
                        you need to get a wire that will show POSSITIVE 12 V (FOR THE YELLOW) power while cranking your car and while it's on...BUt make sure you have them put an inline fuse in there too and each of the 12 V lines...the one coming from your battery and the yellow one too...(that's insurance)

man I wish I was there to help you in person...
                        BossTone74

Comment

ok, think i got it now.. thanks..

30 Amp fuse seems like a lot though, or it just me? 360 watts -- if i'm doing the calculations right... on a 150W power supply.. is there some reason to have 30, insetead of say.. 15? wouldn't 15 be safer?

thanks again
                          VIA EPIA 533 MHz
                          256 MB RAM
                          20 gig HD
                          Media Engine 2.1.4
                          GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
                          802.11b Connectivity

Comment

I just did this in my altima and it was cheap/fairly easy to do. I went with about 14ft of 8 gauge wire from radio shack and found some big crimp on ring terminals to attach the wire to the positive battery terminal. After that you have to find a SAFE pace to drill through your firewall. I almost drilled into what I think is the master cylinder for the brakes or something. After that it is really easy as you just have to pop off some trim on the floor to run it to the trunk (assuming that is where you want to go). Once you have the positive wire where you want, just find a bolt that holds the seat or something to the frame and attach it there. ONE THING TO KEEP IN MIND, put your fuse AS CLOSE TO THE BATTERY as feasible as it will offer the most protection there. As far as needing 8 guage wire, it may not be nessacary but the thicker the wire the better for long distances. Hope this helps you or at least someone else.

Comment

There are plenty of people here that use the wires going to the cigarette lighter to power their computer. My trucks lighter is always on and ready. It goes to a fuse and then to the battery. My car, which has my carputer, the lighter is hooked to the ACC, so i ran a line straight to the battery for the main power and the line to the lighter for the switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X